Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 AM

428 posts, read 344,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Toni Morrison is a national treasure and a literary genius. .
Whoa, hold on. I think that's quite an overstatement.

'Genius' has lost a lot of it's lustre, though. There's been as much inflation in it's usage as we've seen in the $USD.

Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Maybe this is the reason why some old folks just love about getting older. you stop giving a eff and say whats on your mind.

I am not a Morrison fan, she said what she said,

with the London Telegraph, Morrison claimed: “People keep saying, ‘We need to have a conversation about race.’ This is the conversation. I want to see a cop shoot a white unarmed teenager in the back.

“And I want to see a white man convicted for raping a black woman. Then when you ask me, ‘Is it over?’ I will say ‘yes.’”

Exactly what are the differences between her and David Dukes? This woman really wants social justice, or revenge against white ‘oppressors.’ ?

Until we can have an open and honest dialogue about black racism, asian racism, minority racism, we won’t be able to move past the race issue and it will lead to a full-blown race war.

As an "Icon", she should know better.
well said. there's the whole thing in context and it still looks like a big, stinky pile of racist crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude
Whoa, hold on. I think that's quite an overstatement.

'Genius' has lost a lot of it's lustre, though. There's been as much inflation in it's usage as we've seen in the $USD.

Carry on.
hehe, toni morrison is the venezuelan bolivar of the literary world.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
This. Many of you are...I can only say despicable sorts of people with warped minds. This snippet came from a rather large article on the Daily Mail and only those few sentences were used as proof of her "leftist" ways (whatever the hell that is).

Toni Morrison is a national treasure and a literary genius. She is also 84 years old and is from a different era than many of the posters of this forum. She has seen and done a lot and is one of my ultimate role models and the subject of one of my "author crushes" lol.

The "rightist" attempts to villify a Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prize winning, canonized literary legend is pretty silly and shows how....I can only say "stupid" many on the right have become. None of you can hold a candle to Toni Morrison. She is old enough to say whatever the hell she wants to say and have opinions that she wants to have and she isn't afraid to state what is on her mind and she is truly a "beloved" individual for our country.
interesting. ol' toni wants to see white kids shot in the back, yet it's the people who have a problem with that who are the 'despicable' ones?

get off your knees for a moment and realize that no one is beyond criticism for saying stupid things, even your personal hero toni.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:23 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
This. Many of you are...I can only say despicable sorts of people with warped minds. This snippet came from a rather large article on the Daily Mail and only those few sentences were used as proof of her "leftist" ways (whatever the hell that is).

Toni Morrison is a national treasure and a literary genius. She is also 84 years old and is from a different era than many of the posters of this forum. She has seen and done a lot and is one of my ultimate role models and the subject of one of my "author crushes" lol.

The "rightist" attempts to villify a Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prize winning, canonized literary legend is pretty silly and shows how....I can only say "stupid" many on the right have become. None of you can hold a candle to Toni Morrison. She is old enough to say whatever the hell she wants to say and have opinions that she wants to have and she isn't afraid to state what is on her mind and she is truly a "beloved" individual for our country.
She's no different than the (former) owner of the Clippers.

An old racist crank with different pigmentation and oh...you happen to like her books so you want to give her a pass.

Sorry. Not going to fly.

P.S. I do agree she is a literary giant...they don't hand out those awards willy nilly like they do the peace prize.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-22-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 10:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
She said this....
“People keep saying, ‘We need to have a conversation about race’,” Morrison told the Daily Telegraph.
“This is the conversation. I want to see a cop shoot a white unarmed teenager in the back.”
No matter what one thinks it was a particularly disgusting comment and basically says, I'm not interested in talking until Whites suffer like Blacks. (her perception of Black suffering)

The woman is a bitter old tool who blames White society for the problems of Blacks.
She is not alone. We just had a thread with 100's of posts on the same premise.

It's never going to be "over" for people who think this way. Her quote about the Black teenager refers to Michael Brown - he was NOT "shot in the back", but that doesn't matter to her (and others).

They would rather believe the LIE and so they will. I can't help but notice that the interviewer never mentions that Black teenager Michael Brown was NOT "shot in the back". The media and the Black community will continue to perpetuate this LIE - many children will be raised on this LIE.

They want and NEED to believe this LIE for some reason. It's not reality, it's their delusion.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:10 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
She's no different than the (former) owner of the Clippers.

An old racist crank with different pigmentation and oh...you happen to like her books so you want to give her a pass.

Sorry. Not going to fly.

P.S. I do agree she is a literary giant...they don't hand out those awards willy nilly like they do the peace prize.
Is there actually some evidence that she's a racist? Is there some history of statements or positions from her that would indicate that she literally wants unarmed white teenagers to get shot in the back by cops?

To those of us who aren't reactionary morons desperately looking to something to feign outrage about, it's clear that she's making a point about the inequality of our justice system and how race is perceived. From the time a cop decides to stop someone to the time prisoner is standing before the parole board. At every single step, the scales are tilted against black people. That is simply an objective fact.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Is there actually some evidence that she's a racist? Is there some history of statements or positions from her that would indicate that she literally wants unarmed white teenagers to get shot in the back by cops?

To those of us who aren't reactionary morons desperately looking to something to feign outrage about, it's clear that she's making a point about the inequality of our justice system and how race is perceived. From the time a cop decides to stop someone to the time prisoner is standing before the parole board. At every single step, the scales are tilted against black people. That is simply an objective fact.
There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.... After all we have been through. Just to think we can't walk down our own streets, how humiliating.
Remarks at a meeting of Operation PUSH in Chicago (27 November 1993). Quoted in "Crime: New Frontier - Jesse Jackson Calls It Top Civil-Rights Issue" by Mary A. Johnson, 29 November 1993, Chicago Sun-Times (ellipsis in original). Partially quoted in "In America; A Sea Change On Crime" by Bob Herbert, 12 December 1993, New York Times.

Jesse Jackson - Wikiquote

Ok; it's true things are tilted AGAINST Black people, and NOT just by white people either. Other "minorities like us "Irish" had it about as bad 100 years ago; but, as a group, we stepped up and cleaned up our acts. More and more Black people in 2015 are doing the SAME good things; but, short of locking them up on sight when they break the laws, I don't see any "civilized way" of putting hood rats in their place so they leave decent people of any race alone.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Just a small correction:

Literary icon Toni Morrison.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:

If the scales of justice were truely tilted against black people then we would find a disproportionate number of blacks convicted of crimes compared with the proportion of black perpetrators described in victim surveys. We do not find this. Blacks criminals are not convicted at a higher rate than non-black criminals.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:41 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:

You left out the rape statement.

You are re-interpreting the statements of one of the better writers of the 20th century. I'd say her command of her own words are sufficient without you making excuses for them.

You can look around for other quotes and comments from her. She made some racist comments about Clinton being the "first black president" as well.

Maybe like Sterling, old age and the mask is slipping.

Oh wait, you want me to give her a pass because she's black? Sorry. Nobody gets a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies