Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:00 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
She's not saying she literally wants to see an unarmed White shot in the back by a cop. She's saying that she will agree that racism is dead once this stuff starts happening to Whites too. Read the article. Try to put yourself in her shoes.
"She's not saying she literally wants to see an unarmed White shot in the back by a cop."

But, when Palin put "targets" on liberal politicians to be defeated the left went bananas over her wanting those politicians killed.

"What is good for the goose, is good for the gander"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"She's not saying she literally wants to see an unarmed White shot in the back by a cop."

But, when Palin put "targets" on liberal politicians to be defeated the left went bananas over her wanting those politicians killed.

Yes, some people on the left can be idiots too.

It's going to be a very bland world if people can never use metaphors, hyperbole, etc. It'll be like watching one giant, never-ending speech from John Kerry. And who wants that?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
Whoa, hold on. I think that's quite an overstatement.

'Genius' has lost a lot of it's lustre, though. There's been as much inflation in it's usage as we've seen in the $USD.

Carry on.
Toni Morrison is a literary genius. I don't use that word lightly and rarely do but in her case it does fit. You must not know much about her or have read any of her books. And on her comments to you and others, you are all pretty quick to jump to an extreme.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

See the bold people. She used those words to make a statement about racial issues in our country. They don't literally mean she wants that to happen. You all must not have read her work before, she uses a lot of metaphors and active language.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:04 AM

39,201 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Toni Morrison is a literary genius. I don't use that word lightly and rarely do but in her case it does fit. You must not know much about her or have read any of her books. And on her comments to you and others, you are all pretty quick to jump to an extreme.....

See the bold people. She used those words to make a statement about racial issues in our country. They don't literally mean she wants that to happen. You all must not have read her work before, she uses a lot of metaphors and active language.
actually I have ------- "beloved"

She said There is no such thing as race. None. There's just the human race. Now, the words sound preaching. It is what it is.

She should have known better. My opinion.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
She's no different than the (former) owner of the Clippers.

An old racist crank with different pigmentation and oh...you happen to like her books so you want to give her a pass.

Sorry. Not going to fly.

P.S. I do agree she is a literary giant...they don't hand out those awards willy nilly like they do the peace prize.
She is nothing like Sterling. She has never denied people anything based upon their gender and/or ethnic background or color. She has never actively placed any sort of prejudice or bigotry on any particular group (Sterling had troubles over his prejudices prior to his girlfriend "outing" him in the age of the internets, people just didn't care as much at the time).

She has never exhibited a hate or disgust or words of superiority over another "race" of people. So she is not a racist.

But at least you know of her work. Seems many don't know that they don't hand out those awards (and others she has received) to people who are not "geniuses" in their field of work.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
actually I have ------- "beloved"

She said There is no such thing as race. None. There's just the human race. Now, the words sound preaching. It is what it is.
My comment was not directed at you .

And "Beloved" was a book based upon actual events that occurred in the 19th century in Cinncinnati, Ohio. She has written WAY more books than "Beloved" that you should check out. All of them deal with racial issues in various epochs of our country.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
My comment was not directed at you .

And "Beloved" was a book based upon actual events that occurred in the 19th century in Cinncinnati, Ohio. She has written WAY more books than "Beloved" that you should check out. All of them deal with racial issues in various epochs of our country.
She should have known better. That is the ONLY point I was trying to make.

She said what she said, I think she could have chosen better words to avoid confusion. That is all.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:

She said what she said, I think she could have chosen better words to avoid confusion. That is all.
We don't know what other words she said at all. Only those 3 sentences were used as quotes and we don't know the whole conversation of what took place between herself and the interviewer. Please read the actual Daily Mail article that is linked within the OP post.

As stated, she has always focused all of her works on the black experience in this country both good and bad and in many different sorts of situations. Below is a good summation of her work (from the Daily Mail article):

Quote:
As a result, Morrison began to feel an affinity, a fascination. What emerged was a career-long project to – in her words – “turn the gaze”. She didn’t want to write in order to persuade white people, as the abolitionists Frederick Douglass or Solomon Northup had. She wasn’t interested in assuming a white person’s worldview, like the mid-20th century writer Ralph Ellison (“Invisible to whom?” she says of his famous novel The Invisible Man). She didn’t want to join in the black power cries of “screw whitey”. When the revolutionary 1960s turned into the 1970s, she wanted to say, “Before we get on to the 'black is beautiful’ thing, may I remind you what it was like before, when it was lethal?”
She has always been an anomaly of sorts in regards to black writers due to not grasping onto particular political ideologies (which is why it is funny, the "leftist" label). She has portrayed things that have upset black people (read "The Bluest Eye" her first novel and even "Jazz" for which she won the Nobel Prize in literature, IMO it is her best and most fascinating book - it starts off with a woman attacking the dead mistress of her husband at the mistresses' funeral). And she has said many a thing to upset others but she has never been a racist. She is a black woman, not afraid to write about black people as actual people with real stories and situations that are daring and shocking (if people are patient enough to read slowly and think as many of her works are difficult to readers).

I would like to see the actual conversation and questions posed to her in regards to the article. I doubt we will see that though.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:

Is anyone actually confused other than right wing, foaming at the mouth nutjobs with a tenuous grasp of reality?

We don't always have to cater to the those at very bottom of the intellectual ladder.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Is anyone actually confused other than right wing, foaming at the mouth nutjobs with a tenuous grasp of reality?

We don't always have to cater to the those at very bottom of the intellectual ladder.
Being stupid means avoiding thinking by jumping to conclusions. Jumping to a conclusion is like quitting a game : you lose by default.

So when someone says “They are so stupid!” - it means they’ve stopped thinking. They say it to feel finished with that subject, because there’s nothing they can do about that. It’s appealing and satisfying to jump to that conclusion.

smart people don’t think others are stupid. smart people usually believe others have "strong" opinions. I have never met anyone that I can not learn from, that including you.

shrug

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-23-2015 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies