Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Why is Amanda Bennett so self involved that she thinks what she thinks is right is more important than what someone else thinks is right?

Why do we tolerate the kind of bigotry that Amanda Bennett demonstrates?
She lacked assertiveness.

She should have grabbed his hand and arm and pulled him close to her elevated breasts and watched as he creamed his genes.

If your only means of self control is avoidance, you are easy prey.

Go git 'em, Lilith!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,538 times
Discriminate against women?? I have never and I doubt many (if any) of you have ever met someone like was described in this story that refuses to touch women outside of his family for religious reasons. Sounds like this whole article is ONLY directed to very Orthodox Jews.

Quote:
Yet I wonder: Why are we even discussing this?
Great question. How many times has that happened to anyone... ever?

Quote:
What if Rosa Parks had been asked to give up her seat on the bus not because she was black but because she was a woman?
What if. We could go on for days on "what if's".

Old 04-21-2015, 11:48 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
This article mentions Muslims twice and Jews 22 times. So I guess the writer has more of a problem with Orthodox Jews not shaking hands as opposed to things like female genital mutilation and imprisonment for being raped when referring to discrimination against women. Okay.
Since the author does't mention living in Saudi Arabia, she probably hasn't experienced too much discrimination from Muslims.

Orthodox Jews are not my friends. Jews, as a whole, are probably my favorite religious group next to Buddhists. Their mostly secular and seem to favor reason over propaganda. Even Israel is pretty cool; despite having a religious symbol on their flag, their a more secular democracy that we are.

But people do use their religion to justify the mistreatment of women quite a bit. The Bible says woman are not to rule over man, and I imagine the Koran has an even darker version of that. Both books also condone slavery, yet we've done away with that. As time progresses, certain things that we used to think were literally true in the Bible are no longer valid due to their historical context. Look at modern science. While 30% of Americans not believing evolution is scary, it also means 70% do believe in evolution. Since about 70% of Americans do identify as Christian, this means there is overlap, which is good. We've banned slavery despite religions ok to own other people, we've accepted modern science; why are women often pushed to the sidelines in religious communities?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
My ghost I only have your statement that in fact you are a Jew but if you are one you know the Orthodox do not perform Honor Killings - stone women that are victims of rape - murder Christians, Buddhists, Hindus Sikhs, Agnostics or Atheists, oops and I almost forgot Jews. They keep to themselves and mind their own business unlike the Muslims.
The Amish and Mennonites are extremists too but once again they don't impose their beliefs on others while Muslims do or you die.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Women want elevoution!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:02 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Since the author does't mention living in Saudi Arabia, she probably hasn't experienced too much discrimination from Muslims.

Orthodox Jews are not my friends. Jews, as a whole, are probably my favorite religious group next to Buddhists. Their mostly secular and seem to favor reason over propaganda. Even Israel is pretty cool; despite having a religious symbol on their flag, their a more secular democracy that we are.

But people do use their religion to justify the mistreatment of women quite a bit. The Bible says woman are not to rule over man, and I imagine the Koran has an even darker version of that. Both books also condone slavery, yet we've done away with that. As time progresses, certain things that we used to think were literally true in the Bible are no longer valid due to their historical context. Look at modern science. While 30% of Americans not believing evolution is scary, it also means 70% do believe in evolution. Since about 70% of Americans do identify as Christian, this means there is overlap, which is good. We've banned slavery despite religions ok to own other people, we've accepted modern science; why are women often pushed to the sidelines in religious communities?
The title was misleading. She should have clarified the article was going to be about Orthodox Jews.

You stated 70% of the country identify as Christians. What discrimination do women face in this country?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:05 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
While gays rightfully complain about how religion unjustly discriminates against them, don't forget women also suffer from discrimination from the same source.

Why is it okay to discriminate against women for religious reasons? - The Washington Post
who says its okay?

just because someone does something, doesn't mean its okay.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
My ghost I only have your statement that in fact you are a Jew but if you are one you know the Orthodox do not perform Honor Killings - stone women that are victims of rape - murder Christians, Buddhists, Hindus Sikhs, Agnostics or Atheists, oops and I almost forgot Jews. They keep to themselves and mind their own business unlike the Muslims.
The Amish and Mennonites are extremists too but once again they don't impose their beliefs on others while Muslims do or you die.
Ummmmm, neither do ACTUAL Muslims. I'm not talking about people who are hijacking the religion for political gain.

...and while I can't pick and choose how people will interpret my comments, I was not comparing "honor killings" to Judaism. I was sticking to the original topic of how Orthodox Judaism treats women. It's not great. Nothing I would subscribe to. (I was raised in a very reform environment). I was comparing one aspect (the subject of this thread). If I were to claim that the religions are exactly alike, I'd be wrong. I never claimed that.

Anyway, Orthodox Jews as a whole, don't treat their women very well. Much like Islam, the reasons go back to an older way of thinking that is generally not accepted in today's modern world. At least not in my world.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Really? Have I missed the Jewish honor killings???
No, but women are CLEARLY second class citizens in all Mosaic based religions...Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:20 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
I would add that I recall from Sunday School (I was not Bar Mitzvah'd, but did go through confirmation, = 10 years of Sunday School) that Stoning was in fact mentioned several times in the Torah. A quick google search will tell you what is punishable by Stoning.

If you are going to compare the Torah to the Quran, then you might as well include the Bible too, which advocates for some pretty bad treatment of women as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies