Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM

950 posts, read 924,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I was raised in a Jewish household (am a non-practicing Jew), but the Orthodox have a lot of crazy rules, and are not too far removed from what we call "extreme Islam" in this country. I don't condone these practices under any religion, but find it funny that people get all frothed about "the Islam", but have no problems with the Orthodox Jews, or the Pentecostals, or the many other groups that do the same.

I always revert back to "forget the labels, and pay attention to the actions".

"am a non-practicing Jew"

I take your post on Jews the same as I take posts about the Catholic church from ......non-practicing Catholics

Usually both have an ax to grind and throw out wild accusations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Individuals and religious groups and many other private groups can do as they like in associations. I do not see the big deal since I wouldn't want to associate with people I disagree with really. We do the same thing as to friends anyway. Forced association only brings conflict.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I didn't get an anti-Semitic vibe from the article. The author has obvious disdain for ultra Orthodox Jews, but then again...so do many Jews.

(Said the Jew.)

Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
As always on these threads, I eagerly await the righties' expert opinions on how the U.S. can change cultural practices in countries on the other side of the world. Because of course a sovereign nation's entire culture is only practiced at our whim.

Meanwhile, here at home, the same righties here on CD support men's right to catcall and demean women in public places because well, she asked for it by being present and hey, she should learn to take a compliment. And defend rapists because a couple of women a year falsely accuse someone of rape and the occasional man is raped, too And because, well, she asked for it by existing.

Yes, as always, I know the world's problems will be solved by bitching and whining on CD threads about women's rights in Saudi Arabia. I can sleep well tonight.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
As always on these threads, I eagerly await the righties' expert opinions on how the U.S. can change cultural practices in countries on the other side of the world. Because of course a sovereign nation's entire culture is only practiced at our whim.
We have changed, even if slowly some of the cultural practices in China and have done it the correct way. By engaging them economically.

The rest of your post isn't worth the time.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have changed, even if slowly some of the cultural practices in China and have done it the correct way. By engaging them economically.

The rest of your post isn't worth the time.

LOL. Of course you "don't remember" the posts upon posts, year after year, from righties here with their misogynistic views. Color me surprised.

And the "engaging econonomically" thingie is wayyyy too liberal and weak for the righties who whine about Muslims and women.

Of course, they could prove me wrong, but I doubt it. There will always be threads full of them whining about it. And blaming Obama.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Ummmmm, neither do ACTUAL Muslims. I'm not talking about people who are hijacking the religion for political gain.

...and while I can't pick and choose how people will interpret my comments, I was not comparing "honor killings" to Judaism. I was sticking to the original topic of how Orthodox Judaism treats women. It's not great. Nothing I would subscribe to. (I was raised in a very reform environment). I was comparing one aspect (the subject of this thread). If I were to claim that the religions are exactly alike, I'd be wrong. I never claimed that.

Anyway, Orthodox Jews as a whole, don't treat their women very well. Much like Islam, the reasons go back to an older way of thinking that is generally not accepted in today's modern world. At least not in my world.
I was told by my Jewish friends that men and women are separated during services. My guess is that it might have something to do with women being "unclean" during certain times of the month. Is that in the Torah? Is that true and the reason why?

That most definitely could be seen in today's society as religious discrimination (attitude) against women.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What exactly happened to celebrating diversity and respecting different cultures? The author of the OP's link seems like a bigot.
I think she is just pointing out that this small "discrimination" if you can even call it that still exists towards women in religious realms yet this same behavior toward people of different races, or cultural backgrounds, etc. would not be tolerated socially. Nor would this behavior towards women be acceptable outside of religious dogma.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was told by my Jewish friends that men and women are separated during services. My guess is that it might have something to do with women being "unclean" during certain times of the month. Is that in the Torah? Is that true and the reason why?
That most definitely could be seen in today's society as religious discrimination (attitude) against women.
Yes that is the biblical reason why. The women also wear wigs in public so only their husband can receive the pleasure of seeing it. So not as far as a Saudi or Afghan woman has to hide, much less mainstream Islamic women simply covering their hair.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:56 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Why do Lefties support and defend religions like Islam that are the most horrible on the planet for women's rights? Why do people like Hillary Clinton preach her Women's rights BS but take tons of money from people who deny them those rights and the Lefties ignore it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies