Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,046,777 times

Advertisements

I don't like the president, but this is a true statement. With media at an all time high you just hear about it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,453,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"There is less violence around the world today than 30 or 40 years ago."

Says, our President, Barack Obama. The man is delusional. How can he make such statements with a straight face?
You shouldn't use quotes when it is not a quote.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: But I always tell people we have to maintain some perspective on this. The Middle East and North Africa are going through changes that we haven't seen in our generation. I think the Islamic world is going through a process where they have to isolate and push out the kind of extremism that we've seen expressed by ISIL. And that's a generational project.

What our job is in the meantime is to make sure that we are protecting Americans, we're protecting our interests, that we're maintaining things like freedom of navigation and that we're partnering with the best elements of those communities in order to be successful.

It’s going to take some time but I remind people that you know, there actually is probably less war and less violence around the world today than there might have been 30-40 years ago. It doesn’t make it any less painful. But things can get better. We just have to be vigilant and we have to have strong partners.

Obama: "There Is Probably Less War And Violence Around The World Today Than There Might Have Been 30 or 40 Years Ago" | Video | RealClearPolitics

Old 04-22-2015, 05:06 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,289,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You shouldn't use quotes when it is not a quote.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: But I always tell people we have to maintain some perspective on this. The Middle East and North Africa are going through changes that we haven't seen in our generation. I think the Islamic world is going through a process where they have to isolate and push out the kind of extremism that we've seen expressed by ISIL. And that's a generational project.

What our job is in the meantime is to make sure that we are protecting Americans, we're protecting our interests, that we're maintaining things like freedom of navigation and that we're partnering with the best elements of those communities in order to be successful.

It’s going to take some time but I remind people that you know, there actually is probably less war and less violence around the world today than there might have been 30-40 years ago. It doesn’t make it any less painful. But things can get better. We just have to be vigilant and we have to have strong partners.

Obama: "There Is Probably Less War And Violence Around The World Today Than There Might Have Been 30 or 40 Years Ago" | Video | RealClearPolitics
Close enough. I heard it for myself. Quit splitting hairs.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I don't remember the world being as violent in my lifetime as it is today. Obama is delusional or flat out lying.
If he were delusional he would not be lying. It's only when he is sober, alert and wide awake that he is telling lies.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:08 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
....because it is a true statement.

The only reason you think otherwise is because violence is all over Fox News, your smartphone, and your twitter feed.
It's true because your God Obama says so. We understand. You have our sympathies.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 PM

39,160 posts, read 27,554,153 times
There is a book called

The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined
by Steven Pinker

The author says despite the ceaseless news about war, crime, and terrorism, violence has actually been in decline over long stretches of history.

I don't know if this is true or not because I am not even 30 years old, It is a very interesting book makes a lot of sense.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,289,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Because your propaganda machine tells more lies than news.
Really? You can't prove that. That's your own propaganda from the Left-wing propaganda machine.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,149,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Really? You can't prove that. That's your own propaganda from the Left-wing propaganda machine.
So no facts to back up the claim that you are making that the world is more violent than it was 30 or 40 years ago?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,946,222 times
People that believe there is less violence in the world today than it was 40 years ago is just plain ignorant or stupid, if you will. The world 40 years ago was in no way as violent as today. Just look at the news, it is unbelievable what is going on around the world. Yes, I was living 40 years ago and was well aware of world events.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,311,521 times
I know people will give me crap for linking for Wikipedia(which is fine as a broad source), but here are some lists of conflicts for recent decades.

People are free to peruse this info and decide for themselves if the world is truly more or less violent in the last 30 to 40 years or even 50 or 60 years.

List of wars 1945
List of wars 1990
List of wars 2003
List of wars 2011

And here's a list of all ongoing armed conflicts--note some of these have been going on at a low level for decades now:

List of ongoing armed conflicts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies