Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 04:43 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, things were going bad in other parts of the nation before hip hop came around. There has always been an underclass. However, starting in the late 60s, Blacks with the means could escape from it. Incidents like that were happening in the 60s. In fact, go further back, in the town my father is from, if you were Black and went into certain neighborhoods, you were get beat up or killed.
I think the other hard thing that young blacks have to deal with growing up that other races don't, is the idea that if you don't fit the stereotype, you are somehow a "sellout." I grew up in the burbs and had some good African American friends in high school, but they weren't as popular among the black crowd because they didn't dress a certain way or listen to the same music or they were too nerdy/ into school. That can be really destructive because you probably have some blacks that "go with the crowd" just to fit in. A lot are probably good kids at heart and get in trouble following the crowd.

Again, this isn't all African Americans. Growing up, there was an affluent high school not far from me that a pretty large African American population and they were all extremely smart and successful. Didn't fit the stereotype that the media portrays at all. Just pointing out that the "sellout" think is another difficulty that blacks have to face from their own race that other races don't have to deal with.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:05 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
There was PBS TV Special about murder / killing among elephants. They found when older male Alpha elephants were killed or removed the young male teen elephants would actually murder other elephants and be much more violent. It was very telling about our youth and the lack of older male role models.

But much of this IMO deals with the inability to reason and effectively communicate. Our current Entitlement - You owe me mentality has increased the Pizzed Off attitude of people who don't know how to do better.

Violence is their way of communicating and having power, there is few older males in the family and there is an attitude that they are owed.

Obama and his crew has been responsible for much of the entitlement attitude in order to take power and get elected. Pop culture and the music industry has exploited this for profits. The uneducated believe the politicians and fed the culture.

You owe me. I want what you have. You did me wrong. Give it to me now. Rich people are evil.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Max Sterling is nothing if not consistent. LOL

I wonder why the extreme obsession with black people...

Old 04-25-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I wonder why the extreme obsession with black people...
Because all the violence and crime coming from the Black culture and so called Hood Rats.
A small group of people committing much of the crime in the US.

It's much like the Muslim faith having to deal with the Muslim Extremist who kill, rape and torture in the name of their religion.

That's why.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:18 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
There are people out there who dont hate blacks in general, they just use statistics and probability as precautions in dealing with black people. Honestly, I cant blame them for that. Hey, be honest. Non-Ghetto black people do it too when dealing with our own race!

Here's where the problem comes in though.

There are some that will still look down on you for being black, regardless if you're a law abiding, well educated, successful black or a "ghetto" black....and the "ghetto" blacks continually do things to give these people more examples to add fuel to the fire. I don't know what to do to "fix" it or "make things better" but I definitely dont see the latter two groups I just mentioned changing any time soon, so whatever.

All I can do is be the best ME as I can.
Well, with those statistics, I would hope said persons would be able to tell the difference between the non-thug Blacks and the thuggish Blacks. Unfortunately, as you say, Blacks as a whole are still looked down on. While non-ghetto Blacks are not part of the criminal behavior or other stupidity,they still get associated with the hood rats types, if for nothing else, being of the same race as those hood rats.

I don't think anyone should need to be cautious around me. I'm not a hood rat. No one should be afraid of me.

The best people like you and me can do, is be ourselves, and the best we can be. You have a point there. It is the same point I've been putting out there. We can only do so much. My father has a relative who has been in and out of prison for much of his adulthood. My father has tried to talk sense into this guy, but said relative wasn't hearing it. It took getting old for said person to understand the time he wasted by being a hood rat. The only thing people like us can do, is distance ourselves from hood rats. People like Bill Cosby have called hood rat behavior out. Philadelphia's mayor, Michael Nutter, has called this behavior out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXwCOcBjpbg

Now, Nutter was much better received than Cosby was. However, the same thing goes. Hood rats do not listen. Even with decent, hardworking Black men who have shown what hard work can do, hood rats do not listen. I don't see hood rats changing anytime soon. People like you and me can speak out. There are more Black men out there speaking out against hood rat behavior. However, they just aren't public about it as Cosby or Nutter were. Hood rats have no shame, no remorse, nothing.

Decent Black people have two battles to deal with. Hood rats on one end. On the other end, people who look down on Blacks and don't seem to differentiate between decent Blacks and hood rats.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Decent Black people have two battles to deal with. Hood rats on one end. On the other end, people who look down on Blacks and don't seem to differentiate between decent Blacks and hood rats.
I tend to disagree. I think most people can tell the difference between decent hard working blacks and Hood Rats. The hood rats just get a lot of publicity since they commit so much of the crime.

As I mentioned it's much like Muslim extremist. I don't believe all Muslims are bad but those 10-20% who are really make it bad on the non violent ones.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think the other hard thing that young blacks have to deal with growing up that other races don't, is the idea that if you don't fit the stereotype, you are somehow a "sellout." I grew up in the burbs and had some good African American friends in high school, but they weren't as popular among the black crowd because they didn't dress a certain way or listen to the same music or they were too nerdy/ into school. That can be really destructive because you probably have some blacks that "go with the crowd" just to fit in. A lot are probably good kids at heart and get in trouble following the crowd.

Again, this isn't all African Americans. Growing up, there was an affluent high school not far from me that a pretty large African American population and they were all extremely smart and successful. Didn't fit the stereotype that the media portrays at all. Just pointing out that the "sellout" think is another difficulty that blacks have to face from their own race that other races don't have to deal with.
I understand this because I've been through this. Being one of those Blacks who didn't fit the stereotypes, I caught some issues as well. I have been called "overcooked White boy", "Carlton", and some other jokes. And it wasn't just from some of the Black students. Some White students did some of this as well.

Like you, I grew up in suburban areas (actually, more like exurban areas). I wasn't that popular in the Black crowd (Blacks made up about 10-15% of the student body in my high school).

Having to deal with the "sellout" and "you act White" comments is something I am familiar with. I've also received comments from some Whites who expected me to fit a certain stereotype such as "you talk White".

My younger sister is familiar with it took. In middle school, Black girls constantly made fun of her for "acting White" or "talking White". It really ate at her self-esteem. And she wasn't one of "bougie" types either. She was just someone who didn't fit any of the stereotypes.

One thing I've seen with some people is how they get wrapped up in the wrong crowd, just to fit in. I think one thing with me was this. I reached a point where I just didn't care anymore. I got tired of trying to fit in when I was in high school.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I tend to disagree. I think most people can tell the difference between decent hard working blacks and Hood Rats. The hood rats just get a lot of publicity since they commit so much of the crime.

As I mentioned it's much like Muslim extremist. I don't believe all Muslims are bad but those 10-20% who are really make it bad on the non violent ones.
When hood rats act out, decent Black people get ignored alot. And then because of that, only the hood rats get seen and then it gets to a point where decent Blacks might get thrown under the bus too. I've seen it happen.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
If only we gave that school more money it would fix these problems.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:33 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This isnt just limited to black people........ ANY PERSON CAN BE EVIL LIKE THIS!!!!

This is sad
yes, you're right, but why do they have to have such a good track history, why can't they just behave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies