Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Because while their taxes would go up, yours would also massively increase. You would literally double your taxation rate.
Not a chance in hell. I was already in the group that had a 33.4% effective federal tax rate. There is no European country that taxes anyone at an effective rate of 66.8%.

Your insistence on using false info and overly dramatic hyperbole as a debating technique implies to rational people that your opinion isn't valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 03:16 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
And if your employer is the government... then what?

They should be paying more than people with a greater ability to pay? That doesn't sound too fair..

If I don't use food stamps, I should not be paying more for them than those that do use them.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:22 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not a chance in hell. I was already in the group that had a 33.4% effective federal tax rate. There is no European country that taxes anyone at an effective rate of 66.8%.

Your insistence on using false info and overly dramatic hyperbole as a debating technique implies to rational people that your opinion isn't valid.

In 2012 Germanys effective tax rate on a 100K income is 45%, the US? 25%
Focus: Effective tax rates | The Economist

So you are part of a group with a 33.4% effective federal tax rate? You would think with a income of over 750,000 a year (assuming single, no deductions) you must have a tough life living on the remaining scraps. But in Europe? You'd be paying a ton more. The fact that you think i am discussing dramatic hyperbole demonstrates dramatically how uninformed you are.

Frances top rate is 45% after complaints about it being raised to 75%. Even more interesting is that they have a taxation on wealth as well. And inheritance taxes that hit up to 40%

Old 04-24-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
If I don't use food stamps, I should not be paying more for them than those that do use them.
es because people receiving food stamps can actually afford to pay taxes to receive food stamps.

What sort of cognitive dissonance is this?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
So you are part of a group with a 33.4% effective federal tax rate? You would think with a income of over 750,000 a year (assuming single, no deductions) you must have a tough life living on the remaining scraps.
$750,000 isn't the top 1% cutoff. It's $434,682. And, again, there is no country that taxes anyone at an effective rate of 66.8%.

Why envy what I've earned? I started with nothing. Anyone else could have achieved what I have if they didn't foolishly make unwise life and financial decisions. In fact, if you read The Millionaire Next Door, you'll learn that 80% of millionaires are like me: first-generation wealthy. You can even read the multiple decisions they made and steps they took to do it.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
$750,000 isn't the top 1% cutoff. It's $434,682. And, again, there is no country that taxes anyone at an effective rate of 66.8%.

Why envy what I've earned? I started with nothing. Anyone else could have achieved what I have if they didn't foolishly make unwise life and financial decisions. In fact, if you read The Millionaire Next Door, you'll learn that 80% of millionaires are like me: first-generation wealthy. You can even read the multiple decisions they made and steps they took to do it.
Precisely!

Old 04-24-2015, 04:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
The whole idea of the poor paying more taxes or shouldering more tax burden is absurd. Is one dollar from the poor not the same as one dollar from the rich? Why should the rich pay more in absolute amount or in percentage? Just because they have more?

Old 04-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:

You stated EFFECTIVE tax rate. apparently you do not understand what that word means. We weren't discussing the 1%, we were discussing your claimed effective tax rate.

And sorry, its not 66.8% now that france backed off from their 75% rate, but many have a rate in the mid 50's....not counting other taxes which would easily push them higher.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
You stated EFFECTIVE tax rate. apparently you do not understand what that word means.
I understand effective tax rate. It seems it's you who does not. You're confusing marginal tax rates with effective tax rates. They're very different.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Uhmmmm...reality?

The source of the statement s that there arent all that many examples where its not true.

This is like:
"Its safe to go outside without wearing a helmet"

"You can't make such a blanket statement. If you leave the space station without a suit you will die. So what is the source of your statement?"

This is nonsense.
Nonsense is making a statement backed by no facts. try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies