Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:26 AM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
There is a phenomenon of self proclaimed liberals on cd who are concerned about immigration. Some are outright against h1B visas. Some are against undocumented immigration.

Anti immigration used to be the position of social conservatives, largely southern. But today, even many liberals who ere the bastion of immigration and immigrant justice are turning against immigration.

Remeber. It's liberals who criticised the bigotry and racism of social conservatives stance on immigration. They even made fun of the typical blue collar worker who doesn't like to see brown people. But how come so many liberals, here and in everyday life, have adopted such an anti immigration attitude?

Meanwhile, many republicans are actually conflicting with the tea party. These republicans advocate for immigration, not restricting it. How did liberals come to adopt a social conservative view?

Because there is no left/right conflict in America.

There are statists and their are Constitutionalists.

Statists favor open borders because it benefits the ruling class that wishes to drive down wages.

For Republican statists, effectively open borders endears them to their Chamber of Commerce friends and corporate task masters.

For Democrat statists, effectively open borders and the falling wages that go along with it means greater dependency on the state by otherwise hardworking independent Americans and lots of new Democrat voters.

The acid test is whether or not it harms decent hardworking Americans.

If it does, the statists love it.

If it doesn`t, there is probably an existing Constitutional prohibition associated with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 03:20 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,863,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
So, you need me to repeat what I've already said because you don't like it?

No one cares about your bigotry, Packard fan. Immigration is a necessity.

Immigrants ARE Americans.

Even in the case of undocumented immigrants, my original argument stands. Their presence here increases our economic output and demand.
I'm a "bigot" because I'd like to see MOST immigration stopped? Really? Seriously? Now if talking about ILLEGAL immigration, I AM a "bigot". I just want ALL of their illegal kind deported, even blond hair blue eyed women with real big boobs from Sweden.

Until a legal alien gets his US citizenship; he ain't an American. Sorry.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 AM

62,726 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Legal immigration is ok in reasonable numbers. Illegal immigration is against the law and rightly so! Most conservatives do not have a problem with the former but the latter. Those who favor open borders just love to lie about conservatives and they also love to blur the line between legal and illegal by calling illegal aliens just plain ole "immigrants" or the stupid PC term of "undocumented". When clearly that is blurring the line between those who come here legally and those who do not. It is important to use terminology to separate these two very different groups. And no, "immigrants" either way are not Americans. You have to be a citizen of this country to call yourself an American as American is the common term for a U.S. citizen. Why do these people lie and spin the truth so much?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
all immigrants take jobs that could have gone to americans.
When there is a shortage of jobs yes this is true. That's why we have quotas for legal immigration so that doesn't happen (or at least that is the way it is supposed to work). Illegal aliens of course take American jobs because they aren't a part of those quotas.

We don't need a lot of immigrants today to keep our population growing as we are no longer a wide open frontier as a 100 years ago with plentiful resources to sustain us. Americans are procreating but many of them are having kids they can't even provide for. The more people in this country the more demands there are for water, food, healthcare, energy, jobs and natural and social resources. We need to stabilize or reduce our population growth, not increase it. Some of the most successful countries have smaller populations and economically they are doing just fine.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Liberals are against H1B visas to hurt corporations more than anything else. They don't seem any more against illegal immigration than they ever were and continue to push for amnesty programs.
This liberal has been strongly anti-illegal immigration and anti-amnesty for a decade.

I also think we should severely curtail legal immigration.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh please, there's nothing interesting about some random H1B guy's ungrammatical whinefest.

Someone should call him a waaaaaaaaaaahmbulance.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:42 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,456,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Oh please, there's nothing interesting about some random H1B guy's ungrammatical whinefest.

Someone should call him a waaaaaaaaaaahmbulance.
Oh please what?

Did you even bother to read my posts here? I NEVER said H1B is God gift from heaven, I said NOT all H1B visa holders are the same.

Hey look. My ex was born in bay area, a talented award winning software engineer. He is not against h1B, but many of his projects got transfered overseas. He knows whom to go after, his company, he quitted, started his own company. He will not pick on the H1B foreign workers. You pick on those of your own size.

Guess what bigD, argue with me does you no good. I don't sign your pay check. LOL

Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,907,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
How are illegal aliens Americans?
Seems it's the GOP is not thinking this:

May go with this............David Frum: Let’s face it, Jeb Bush thinks immigrants are more enterprising than Americans « Hot Air

“Jeb and Obama have something very important in common. They are both people who had to build an identity for themselves. They rejected the identity they inherited and built their own mixed identity. It’s an almost kind of post-American identity. Immigration is a test and proof of their identity. Jeb Bush talks about his a lot—he talks about his family being bicultural. That’s the reason he moved to Miami. He didn’t want to live in a society that was monoculturally American. He wanted to live in a bicultural society so his children could be bilingual. But, one of the things that emerges is that he is very like Obama. He is not satisfied with America as he inherited it, and he talks a lot about how we can’t achieve prosperity merely with our existing demographics. That’s his phrase, “with our existing demographics.” He sort of suggests that it’s not just that Americans are too old, or that immigrants will lower the age of the population. That’s not true by the way. But he also seems to think that native-born Americans aren’t enterprising enough, aren’t energetic enough, don’t love their families enough. The solution, the way to repair the troubles of America is to change America through immigration by importing people who are somehow better than native-born…

What he’s concerned about is that we can’t grow at 4 percent “with our existing demographics.” And he has said that immigrants create more jobs and build more businesses than the native born. Which used to be true, but isn’t true anymore. That they have larger families, that is true. That they’re going to save Social Security, and that’s really not true. And they’re certainly not going to save Medicare because this is a population that’s quite poor.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:00 PM

13,584 posts, read 21,356,616 times
You all are cold heartless stingy people, let them all in, they are just looking for a better life how can you hold them back? We should be like the leftists in Greece, give it all away until we are broke then release the illegals from dentention camps because it is heartless to keep them locked up or to send them back and let them sleep in th our neighborhood parks instead wild and free. Free ,,, free at last!

Old 04-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Seems it's the GOP is not thinking this:

May go with this............David Frum: Let’s face it, Jeb Bush thinks immigrants are more enterprising than Americans « Hot Air

“Jeb and Obama have something very important in common. They are both people who had to build an identity for themselves. They rejected the identity they inherited and built their own mixed identity. It’s an almost kind of post-American identity. Immigration is a test and proof of their identity. Jeb Bush talks about his a lot—he talks about his family being bicultural. That’s the reason he moved to Miami. He didn’t want to live in a society that was monoculturally American. He wanted to live in a bicultural society so his children could be bilingual. But, one of the things that emerges is that he is very like Obama. He is not satisfied with America as he inherited it, and he talks a lot about how we can’t achieve prosperity merely with our existing demographics. That’s his phrase, “with our existing demographics.” He sort of suggests that it’s not just that Americans are too old, or that immigrants will lower the age of the population. That’s not true by the way. But he also seems to think that native-born Americans aren’t enterprising enough, aren’t energetic enough, don’t love their families enough. The solution, the way to repair the troubles of America is to change America through immigration by importing people who are somehow better than native-born…

What he’s concerned about is that we can’t grow at 4 percent “with our existing demographics.” And he has said that immigrants create more jobs and build more businesses than the native born. Which used to be true, but isn’t true anymore. That they have larger families, that is true. That they’re going to save Social Security, and that’s really not true. And they’re certainly not going to save Medicare because this is a population that’s quite poor.
These are parts of the reasons I would never vote for Jeb Bush. He had to move to Miami for diversity? What? Just about everywhere in this country is racially diverse. Oh, I guess he meant he wanted to be near a more a more culturally Hispanic area? His wife is Mexican. Most Hispanics in Miami aren't from Mexican roots but Cuban ones. Apparently he favors his wife's Hispanic culture over his own. He could have found that all over the southwest. At any rate his remarks about non-Hispanic or non-immigrant Americans is quite insulting and the final nail in the coffin for me was when he said that "illegals coming here is an act of love". Oh yeah, real presidential material there, right? Not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies