Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Really? I never see people like that on the TV news .
Neither do I, but then I never watch broadcast TV, so that's not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 PM

26,543 posts, read 14,343,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
... but I doubt an officer of the court would do something as egregious as to get someone to shadow the judge's wife without orders from his client to do.
i'm curious how this plays out. when asked for comment the attorney cited client/attorney privilege but joe has thrown him under the bus and testified in court that it was the attorney's idea to get a PI to investigate the judge and his wife. that can't sit well with the AZ bar association. i doubt this will be the last we'll hear on this aspect.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,479,068 times
Quote:
Really? I never see people like that on the TV news .
Jim Webb?

Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times
He's toast anyway.

His department is up to its neck in.scandal and some of his deputies are headed to prison.

Hubris is a bad thing.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,806,627 times
Quote:
Arpaio said he that he had come into the possession of an email from a tipster who said he had met Snow's wife at a restaurant, and that she said Snow "wanted to do everything to make sure I'm not elected."

Arpaio said his counsel then hired a private investigator to look into the matter.

"Results confirmed that your wife was in that restaurant," Arpaio told Snow. "I guess (the investigator) talked to the witness, confirmed that that remark was made."

If there is any truth to that this could get very interesting, yes?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,759,505 times
Quote:
If the Washington Post or NYT covers a local crime story outside their metro areas, it's almost always done to reinforce the narrative. In this case, that immigration restriction is evil and only advocated by the hateful and corrupt.
Did you notice that the Washington Compost referred to the jail inmates wearing pink underwear as a "stunt"? The Compost doesn't even try to hide their hostility to Sheriff Joe anymore.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Did you notice that the Washington Compost referred to the jail inmates wearing pink underwear as a "stunt"?
i think "stunt" is an accurate description. arpaio's own report on the pink underwear showed that it had zero affect on the recidivism rate. the only reason to continue the policy after that would be as a publicity stunt for the sole benefit of joe ( .... or to satisfy some unspoken fetish ).

Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,242,003 times
Quote:
If the Washington Post or NYT covers a local crime story outside their metro areas, it's almost always done to reinforce the narrative. In this case, that immigration restriction is evil and only advocated by the hateful and corrupt.
If the shoe fits ... don't blame the messenger.

Mixed metaphors, but true enough.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If there is any truth to that this could get very interesting, yes?
assuming joe's claim is 100% accurate he would have still handled it completely wrong. if he honestly believed that the judge had a direct bias then he could have asked the judge to recuse himself. if the judge refused he could have taken it to a higher court. by launching an investigation against a judge who is overseeing a case you are the defendant in has opened up joe to the possibilities of federal charges of intimidation of a sitting judge and obstruction of justice.

but most likely joe is full of BS. he has a history of wrongly investigating and/or arresting those he believes are political enemies including another judge ( for which maricopa county has had to pay out millions in court settlements ). arpaio's claims are also already being contradicted. arpaio claimed that it was his former attorney, tim casey, who hired the private investigator(s) to investigate judge snow and his wife. casey has released a statement directly denying that. also, arpaio claimed under oath that they were only investigating judge snow's wife's "comments" made in a restaurant in phoenix. that's contradicted by the fact they paid $40,000 to a "confidential informant", in seattle, to investigate snow and others. the informant turned out to be a successful con-artist, dennis montgomery. the judge has ordered all communications concerning such investigations to be saved and maintained so hopefully they will all be made public.

so, i agree things could get very interesting.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Who, BTW, is probably of more interest for his birther campaign.
here's a good article on the potential connection between the birther "investigation" and this hearing:

Mike Zullo: on the court’s radar - Obama Conspiracy Theories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies