Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 PM

7,443 posts, read 5,707,939 times

Advertisements

So let's look at Baltimore

A) Liberal/Democratic
B) Black Mayor
C) Predominatly minority police force
D) Very high rate of blacks living on welfare
E) Very high rate of black unemployment
F) Poor schools

Now, we can deduce that

A) Enslaving people by creating a lifestyle of welfare using liberal policies doesn't work
B) You have a city whose leadership AND police force are minority so is it really a white verses black issue?
C) Where the arresting officers all white? Nope
C) If your leadership and police are black where does the real problem fall?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,200,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Whether you want to believe it or not, what I stated is pretty mjuch true. Look at the amount of violence, dollar cost and lives lost in black riots compared to the amount of violence, dollar cost and lives lost in a 'white riot' and the difference is night and day. And also for having SIX TIMES the population of whites to blacks, the number of riots involving whites is VERY LOW. The reason why I'm pointing this out is because you want to make it sound like blacks and whites are equal in this regard when clearly that isn't the case.

And you want to talk about excuses, at least a few blacks who were interviewed by CNN have already complained about the cops NOT MOVING IN QUICK ENOUGH to stop businesses from being looted and other property being damaged or destroyed. In the past blacks complained that cops were acting too hastily and aggressively and now they're complaining that the response was TOO SLOW. So which is it then? Blacks hate cops yet they want them to protect them and their property, BUT if they act a little too quickly they complain that they were overly aggressive, if they act more slowly, blacks complain about cops allowing businesses in their communities to be looted and destroyed. Basically its damned if you do and damned if you don't with blacks.

But back to what we were discussing, there's a reason why major news outlets don't cover mostly white riots nearly as in depth and for as long as black riots because white riots are relatively speaking minor incidents that don't have longterm effects to the neighborhoods involved compared to black riots.
Again, you've provided no facts to back your statements. Until you do, it's all opinion.

As far as your second paragraph is concerned, you've made a fairly common mistake. You've painted all black people with the same brush. As a result, you think the people saying eff the police are the same ones now crying out for them. Simple mistake. To correct it, I suggest you view black people as individuals rather than one in the same.

And, again, if there's going to be a riot, I'd MUCH rather it be because people are rising up against an injustice and want change rather than because of a freaking basketball/baseball/football game.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
If this is the case, then why is West Virginia which is 93% white and is ranked 49th out of 50 states in median household income has a murder rate that is LOWER than the national average? In fact in alot of categories of crime West Virigina is at or lower than the national average. So if poverty is suppose to be the main cause of crime, why is the bottom of the barrel in average income West Virigina not near the top for states with the highest crime rates?
Who said anything about murder? Anyone with even the slightest intelligence could tell you that inner cities have a problem with drugs, gangs, etc. When you have so many people packed into such close quarters and there is poverty, there will be problems.

Not so much a problem in rural America where things are more spread out. Turf wars are non-existent. BUT, rural areas have terrible drug problems. It is ravaging communities and no one is talking about it. Perhaps that's why murder is low? Everyone is zoned out on meth?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I see where you are coming from with this statement. From my perspective, why people may suggest that, is bc so many blacks seem to lump their entire race together through all of this. For example, mike brown assaulted a cop, robbed a store, and was killed in a confrontation. Yet so many blacks claimed he represented them.

I've never understood automatically identifying with someone just based on race. My peers are my social friends, people from my job, really anyone with the same values as me. Race has nothing to do with it, and I don't relate to white people just bc we are both white.
IMO, people of certain ethnic groups will unite when it's for a cause that has affected their people throughout time. The solidarity is not about saying we are all alike and all think alike but rather that the treatment is something that we've all experienced, in some form or fashion.

While I may not know the black woman who was followed in a store, I CAN relate to her experience and unite with her in feeling wrongly accused because I've experienced the same. While my brother is NOT Mike Brown, he has been unfairly stopped and had his car searched by police for "matching a description." The solidarity is in the experience.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,998,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
While I may not know the black woman who was followed in a store, I CAN relate to her experience and unite with her in feeling wrongly accused because I've experienced the same. While my brother is NOT Mike Brown, he has been unfairly stopped and had his car searched by police for "matching a description." The solidarity is in the experience.
Just to be 100% cystal clear, Mike Brown wasn't unfairly stopped and he was stopped for matching the description of a robbery suspect because he had just robbed a store up the street.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Just to be 100% cystal clear, Mike Brown wasn't unfairly stopped and he was stopped for matching the description of a robbery suspect because he had just robbed a store up the street.
The police didn't have a positive ID that Mike Brown is who they were looking for. In any event, my point is about being stopped/searched with the "matches a description" excuse.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 PM

4,566 posts, read 3,384,705 times
I was thinking today of the SCOTUS quote that adorns the IRS building (Justice Holmes?) something about taxes being the dues to maintain a civilized society. In places wherein government no longer desires to maintain a civilized society, does this make those citizens tax exempt?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 PM

109 posts, read 74,299 times
Quote:
The police didn't have a positive ID that Mike Brown is who they were looking for. In any event, my point is about being stopped/searched with the "matches a description" excuse.
He was walking in the middle of the street so they had every right to stop him, that's what happens when you're breaking the law.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
If police only stopped people they had "positive ID" on they could never solve any crimes. The officer that tried to stop Michael Brown had more than enough probably cause to stop him and question him about the crimes that we know for a fact that he had just committed.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I was thinking today of the SCOTUS quote that adorns the IRS building (Justice Holmes?) something about taxes being the dues to maintain a civilized society. In places wherein government no longer desires to maintain a civilized society, does this make those citizens tax exempt?
The people you see tearing up Baltimore on CNN aren't exactly paying much in taxes, I doubt it matters. You're talking about a community full of takers, not many givers in that crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies