Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Internet social experiment:
If you could 'choose' the race of your next door neighbor (all else being equal: income, education, 2 parent family, etc), would you have a preference (you can answer "It doesn't matter" but you still have to choose a preference):
black
white
Hispanic
Indian
Middle eastern/muslim
Asian
I'd choose white or black over the rest of those. Or US-born Hispanic.

(I'm white.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
If I was in a poor neighborhood, whites. If I'm in a well off neighborhood, it really doesn't matter, but I guess if I have to choose one, Asians. They keep to themselves.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Internet social experiment:
If you could 'choose' the race of your next door neighbor (all else being equal: income, education, 2 parent family, etc), would you have a preference (you can answer "It doesn't matter" but you still have to choose a preference):
black
white
Hispanic
Indian
Middle eastern/muslim
Asian
It doesn't matter.

[and, no, I will not choose a preference]

Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Watch any old western and you'll see how communities would have huge festivals and dances

This is a great article talking about the medieval peasant. It explains a little about how many vacations days our ancestors had. Everyone was off every Sunday, no one worked on all church holidays(which were numerous), and then as I said, tons of harvest and church festivals. Let alone the fact that everyone worked the same hours, and thus were always off work at the same time.

I mean, we can even see this a little by looking at "The Old West". Where people would just hang out at the saloon, playing cards. Something like that would be unheard of in our society.

Diversity(and capitalism) have destroyed everything about the community. Only recent immigrants from third-world countries have any sense whatsoever for community.

I always find "Halloween" to be pretty depressing these days. When I was young, everyone in the neighborhood participated in Halloween. Now, very few participate. The ones who do still involve themselves in Halloween, are usually upper-middle class white people.

It wasn't supposed to be this way.
I heard you can still watch episodes of Bonanza on Roku

But I know what you mean about the "old days". That is because we were more of a agricultural society. thus tons of harvest festivals. The common thread was the common grain sort o speak. Mostly everyone had a stake in it. Now, most don't even know where our food comes from or how to get it on their own.

What is depressing about Halloween, is that folks put razor blades in candy and do other creepy **** to ruin it. And, born agains push to make it a sinful holiday.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:17 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I heard you can still watch episodes of Bonanza on Roku

But I know what you mean about the "old days". That is because we were more of a agricultural society. thus tons of harvest festivals. The common thread was the common grain sort o speak. Mostly everyone had a stake in it. Now, most don't even know where our food comes from or how to get it on their own.

What is depressing about Halloween, is that folks put razor blades in candy and do other creepy **** to ruin it. And, born agains push to make it a sinful holiday.
Churches have Halloween contests for the best costume... the born again believers.. It is the Jehovah Witnesses that do not celebrate holidays. That is their choice.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:23 PM

781 posts, read 736,642 times
Hell, if I really had a choice I'd choose no neighbors, not for at least ten miles. As far as I'm concerned the whole human race can go straight to hell....

Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I'd rather choose based on income level, personality and hobbies than race. I'd rather have an upper middle class black family who played soccer and loved to fish than a white trash welfare family that raised roosters and loved to fish.

If EVERYTHING were EXACTLY the same (they never are) other than race, I'd probably pick white though because in general people are happier and more comfortable in homogeneous societies.
Good lord, you're talking about my neighbors, aren't you?

On one side, white trash, on disability from drug abuse and his idiot wife (they moved into his mom's house when she died). Three huge, aggressive dogs in the yard, poop everywhere, along with trash and used furniture. House is a wreck and cars parked on the lawn. And yea, they had a rooster (and a few hens) until one of the dogs ate them.

On the other side (a rental) is a very quiet, polite single black woman, her 3 year old (ish) daughter, the woman's brother and his teenage son. Lawn is always mowed, cars are kept up, kids always wave when I drive by. The only noise they make is the basketball hitting the ground.

Everything being the same? It wouldn't matter. It's about the type of neighbor, not the color of the neighbor.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have no preference, as i do not consider race when dealing with people. i consider character. therefore i will denote NO preference. people are people the world over, and there are good ones and bad ones.
Do you not consider cultural differences and with whom you may enjoy spending more time?

You might be an enjoy everything or enjoy nothing person and cultural differences might not make a difference.

I'd argue that culture will make a difference for most people.

Let's say a family from Yemen move in that are fairly conservative on the roles of women. Is there zero chance you might have any cultural clashes with them? Yes, this is a bit more of an extreme example; however, it does illustrate the point in general.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:31 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
I would pick white because I would have more in common with them. They for sure would speak English and we'd have a common culture. However, I wouldn't want to live next door to trashy whites.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
If I was in a poor neighborhood, whites. If I'm in a well off neighborhood, it really doesn't matter, but I guess if I have to choose one, Asians. They keep to themselves.
I agree with the bolded.

To me, some Asians are too nosy, I don't like nosy neighbors.

Everybody in my neighborhood keep to themselves. I exchange Christmas gifts with my next door neighbors once a year. Even the Jewish neighbors have no issues with that.

If I have to live in a poor neighborhood, I would choose to live next to my friends. Black, white, doesn't matter. (have to be somebody I know.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies