Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:04 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Haha. He calls some other people "thugs". Even claims to know some.

I think you have the answer you seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 05:15 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Haha. He calls some other people "thugs". Even claims to know some.

I think you have the answer you seek.
I actually do not.

He grew up in Compton before attending Stanford, so I'm sure in his formative years he grew up and befriended "thugs" as a result of his environment. I put that in quotes, since he did as well. All that does is really further my point. But that's neither here nor there.

Why was he referred to as a thug, yet Reds' manager Brian Price was not for his profanity-laced tirade towards a reporter? Curious as what your opinion of that is.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:21 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Oh, what a surprise.

*Crickets*

/thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:32 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Why was he referred to as a thug, yet Reds' manager Brian Price was not for his profanity-laced tirade towards a reporter? Curious as what your opinion of that is.
Well, you might ask whether Price is in the habit of talking like that on a regular basis. Sherman is a passionate player and he can be "excitable" on any given Sunday. I have no problem with it. He can back up his words because he is good at what he does and that ability is why the Seahawks pay him the big bucks. I think that talking about him and Price has very little to do with the topic.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:50 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"Codeword"

Another leftie buzzword used to demagogue.
It's interesting to me that some people morph the abstract noun "demagoguery" and "demagogue" into categories that escape argument because by such labeling, no one has to say what they really mean. In labeling someone a demagogue, one should have a pretty good idea of what one means. In the Greek, a demagogue is literally someone who leads the people. But I don't think that's what anyone really means by it today. I think what we mean by the term is someone who "misleads" the people, but in order to agree upon that definition, we would have to agree on what "misleading" means.

I'm pretty interested in what the poster I'm quoting here means by "to demagogue." That switches the stasis from an abstract noun and a label to an action, and one that is expressed through an intransitive verb at that. What does it mean to "be demagogued?" Does one need to "be demagouged" to take some action? Shouldn't that involve knowledge of the difference between taking action upon one's own behalf and those of others? If so or if not, what might those actions be? Please remember, again, that in the Greek at least, insofar as the language as I've studied it, "to demagogue" was never a verb; it was only a noun and an adjective.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 AM

934 posts, read 595,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's an overused term...kinda like "hero."

I've realized a long time ago that 90% of the people using the "thug" term have no earthly idea what a thug REALLY is.
Righties call Obama a thug

Old 05-11-2015, 02:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
I don't. He's an idiot.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:47 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't. He's an idiot.
Yep, another falsehood told by an Obama supporter.

He's been called a lot of names (I prefer liar) but I have never seen him called a Thug on CD.
He's too intelligent to be a Thug and that's what makes him so dangerous.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:37 AM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Thug is not limited to one color or skin or race.
There are Thug's in every walk of life.
It is NOT the politically correct N word and I seriously doubt there are more Thugs of one race over the other.

Why is it necessary to continue the entire race baiting thread starting?
Is there nothing else one can think of to start a thread about.

This is the definition of the word Thug:

thug
THəɡ/
noun
noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug
  1. 1.
    a violent person, especially a criminal.
    synonyms:ruffian, hooligan, vandal, hoodlum, gangster, villain, criminal; Moreinformaltough, bruiser, hardman, goon, heavy, enforcer, hired gun, hood
    "one of Capone's thugs"

2. 2.
    historical
    a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s

Do you see anywhere in that definition stating a Thug is black?

Oh goodness, look at that, "one of Capone's thugs", if I remember correctly Capone would be Al Capone and he was a white American Gangster........

Capone was a thug.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:21 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't. He's an idiot.
A person can't even use the president's middle name without being called out, let alone use any language that is critical of His Majesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies