Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:32 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So. What's wrong with that?
Read all my posts in this thread. I've been describing what's wrong with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 04:54 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
This right here tells me you have little experience with drug addiction or alcoholism in your own life and family.

There isn't ANYTHING you can do to get an addict to quit using or drinking. You can't help them. There is no hope for them, unless they want to help themselves and are strong enough to actually help themselves.

Often it comes down to one impossible decision for family and freinds of an addict..... put up with them and everything that comes with their addiction, or completely dissociate with someone you love and care about.

An addict can also cause turmoil between other relationships in the family as well, like between the mother and father, particularly when they don't agree on what to do about the situation.

If you've never had it hit close to home and went through it yourself, then I don't expect you to fully comprehend and understand. But, we all need to think twice before we sign off on creating an environment that has the potential to put more families in these impossible situations.
Throwing in jail will not help .
Mostly likely , they will join a prison gang and commit more crimes.
Employer will not hire even if you are sober because you have a record.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:56 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
And people who drink too much lay down in the middle of the street or on railroad tracks. I think humpin a tree has a statistically better outcome.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
How many more people would be using it if it were legal, who otherwise don't?

If smoking tobacco had never been legal, how many people would never have picked the habit up?

By making it legal, you normalize it and legitimize it's use in society.
Not everyone is going to do it.
Interracial marriage got legalized in 1969.
But it is still small percent of marriage.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
What I'm saying is why create a situation where more people use the drug in the first place? When we have a lot of people in jail on drug related charges.... that's a problem. It would be just as big of a problem if we replace the word "jail" with "rehab"

Quote:
Not everyone is going to do it.
Of course not everyone will. Not everyone drinks and it's been legal since the 30's....

But I'd bet dollars to donuts that if it becomes legal, people will be more apt to try it, or more apt to continue using it after they try it, than if we just keep it illegal.

We need to control and minimize any drugs presence in our society.... I can see no real benefit to society from recreatioal drug use, and that includes alcohol.....

Old 05-03-2015, 05:59 PM

463 posts, read 320,839 times
Quote:
I can see no real benefit to society from recreatioal drug use, and that includes alcohol.....
So you are for re-enacting alcohol prohibition?

Are you also for prohibiting caffeine?

Old 05-03-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
So you are for re-enacting alcohol prohibition?
No, I said I see no benefit to society from it's recreational use...... Look at what it costs society to have it legal? Drunk driving fatalities, etc.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to amending the Constitution to prohibit commercial sales of alcohol. If you want to make it in your bathtub for your own consumption, then you should have the freedom to do that I guess. Same with marijuana. You grow it, you smoke it, no problem.
Quote:
Are you also for prohibiting caffeine?
When you can show how caffiene poses a real threat to society, to other people besides the person consuming it, than I'll be for banning it's commercial sale too.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is why create a situation where more people use the drug in the first place? When we have a lot of people in jail on drug related charges.... that's a problem. It would be just as big of a problem if we replace the word "jail" with "rehab"

Of course not everyone will. Not everyone drinks and it's been legal since the 30's....

But I'd bet dollars to donuts that if it becomes legal, people will be more apt to try it, or more apt to continue using it after they try it, than if we just keep it illegal.

We need to control and minimize any drugs presence in our society.... I can see no real benefit to society from recreatioal drug use, and that includes alcohol.....
We have tried to stop drug use but we failed.
Keeping it illegal help the black market and makes more criminals.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
How many more people would be using it if it were legal, who otherwise don't?

none.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:44 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Exactly. These idiots who think the war on drugs is stopping anybody from abusing drugs are crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies