Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So urban, you say you are for putting the American worker first but aren't you a pro-amnesty person?
To some degree yes, for those that were born and raised here, even illegally should be able to be an American citizen. I am not for open borders, but I am well aware the world isn't black and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The world is not right-wing or left-wing.

And yes, there are globalists. They are for open borders, bringing the best and brightest here to America to work, etc.

Go read up on Krugman's thoughts in the 90's regarding globalism and US labor.
Then go read up on Krugman's thoughts in 2007 regarding globalism and US labor.
Well what did you think would happen when promoting less regulations on corporations and are against unions? Or are you now saying we need more regulations and need to strengthen unions to put American workers first in the US?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:50 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
https://www.numbersusa.com/news/repo...over-americans

Here again we see more Americans being laid off and foreign workers who are being imported on work visas are brought in to take their jobs.

This is not good news for Americans who work in IT. They now have to worry that their company may decide to "restructure" their IT department and replace their American workers with foreigners brought in on various kinds of work visas, who can also be paid less in salary and benefits than American workers are.
H-1B visas were established to allow companies to hire foreign workers to fill jobs where domestic candidates were found to be insufficient. It is a temporary hire with a non-immigrant visa, and is supposed to be in very specialized areas, filled by candidates with a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.

But now, many domestic engineers have been replaced by foreign worker. Even the extremely good domestic software engineers are struggling because their projects have been moved overseas. WTH?

Here is an article on Fortune magazine,

For higher paying jobs, like computer programmer, software developer, and electronics engineer, Bright found more than one domestic job candidate for every H-1B application. And for financial analysts, the company found 12 local candidates for every visa application.

The biggest users of these visas are not the tech companies that are calling for an increase in the quotas. They are outsourcing firms that hire foreign workers and loan them to other companies.

The myth of America

Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Bob Iger is a big time left-wing Democrat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't know who that is...
The CEO of Disney. He's a left wing Democrat

Old 05-01-2015, 06:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Well what did you think would happen when promoting less regulations on corporations and are against unions? Or are you now saying we need more regulations and need to strengthen unions to put American workers first in the US?
The software industry has NEVER been unionized. Just what less regulations are you talking about regarding the software industry and H1-B ?
You keep saying those talking points over and over. Use YOUR words for a change and explain exactly what you mean by unions and regulations.

Unions were blue collar my friend.

It was the public sector that unionized white collar.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Don't complain to me, this is capitalism, Disney is just doing what is best for their company. All I am saying is this is an example of that. And by right wingers, I mean the right wingers on this site that are always crowing for less regulations and anti-unions.
Beg to differ that this is what's best for their company, in the long run, go look at the original article I posted and read the comments. You have people who have been Disney VIP members for years who say the quality of service there is declining. I'm sure it has something to do with cutting costs and hiring foreign citizens who have never been to Disney to work there.

I think this decision was made to cut costs in the short term, but in the long term it will only hurt their reputation, and will cause their quality of services to go downhill.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
The world is not right-wing or left-wing.

And yes, there are globalists. They are for open borders, bringing the best and brightest here to America to work, etc.

Go read up on Krugman's thoughts in the 90's regarding globalism and US labor.
Then go read up on Krugman's thoughts in 2007 regarding globalism and US labor.

That's the misnomer right there. They aren't the best and brightest, they are cowardly IT drone workers from the slums of India who do exactly as they are told and cost less than an American worker. They are cheap slave labor. Disguised as something that's "Good" for America. It's good for corporate profits, that's who it's good for, and nobody else.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The CEO of Disney. He's a left wing Democrat
Is he a poster on City Data? I was referring to the right wingers that post on City Data that are for less regulations and are against unions.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
That's the misnomer right there. They aren't the best and brightest, they are cowardly IT drone workers from the slums of India who do exactly as they are told and cost less than an American worker. They are cheap slave labor. Disguised as something that's "Good" for America. It's good for corporate profits, that's who it's good for, and nobody else.
I should have put a "sarcastic" smiley after that.
Yes I know...25 years as a software engineer. I've had to rewrite code full of "go to's" sent to us from overseas and full of bugs.

I retired though, not layed off. And my replacement was some guy over in India.
My company offshored my job when I retired.

I saw it start in the mid 90's and was very active to try to get Congress to change their minds.
It was the case of ..." they came for xxxx and I did nothing."

Now..I just shake my head and say "NOW you see what's happening ?" It's too late now. 1993 is when the hollering should have started.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The software industry has NEVER been unionized. Just what less regulations are you talking about regarding the software industry and H1-B ?
You keep saying those talking points over and over. Use YOUR words for a change and explain exactly what you mean by unions and regulations.

Unions were blue collar my friend.

It was the public sector that unionized white collar.
Maybe the software industry should be unionized and maybe there should be more regulations to help prevent jobs going to non-American workers. I take it you would support that based on your posts in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies