Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:06 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
That's the point. With an urban population zoos and places like Seaworld are the only exposure many ever have to animals other than cats or dogs. If you keep these people from seeing animals, being around animals, and interacting with animals they'll believe any dopey thing the left wants to do "for the animals."
Hm. If the only way to get people to learn about and care about animals is to have them spend hundreds of dollars traveling to and buying tickets to theme parks to watch animals forced to perform tricks, we are an even sicker and stupider society than I thought.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Do you lock in her a cage? As long as she can turn around, it's all good, right?
Nope. I didn't have her for dinner either.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You mean a free cat? So you imprisoned a free cat and you call that a good thing?
I assume you are a non-pet owner. Pet owners generally know that data indicates that unlike other species, domesticated animals like cats and dogs have much shorter, more miserable lives when living in the wild than when living in a home.

You know, millennia of domestication and all that stuff that makes them different from, say, orcas. There, I finally explained it to you after all.

And BTW -- I don't want to call out individuals on this thread, but damn, folks, you DON'T use an apostrophe for a plural. EVER. Sheesh.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
I assume you are a non-pet owner. Pet owners generally know that data indicates that unlike other species, domesticated animals like cats and dogs have much shorter, more miserable lives when living in the wild than when living in a home.

You know, millennia of domestication and all that stuff that makes them different from, say, orcas. There, I finally explained it to you after all.

And BTW -- I don't want to call out individuals on this thread, but damn, folks, you DON'T use an apostrophe for a plural. EVER. Sheesh.
Nice justification! I guess that makes it right! That's what the slave owners used to say too.

Who says I am not a pet owner? I just don't go around and saying I am morally superior than than others and force others to accept my moral standards while I am doing precisely that same thing that I advocate against.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:18 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Sea world put out a new video commercial fighting back against all of the relentless attacks by the media and animal rights groups:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fa6inwzLlA
With propaganda films like black fish, liberal animal rights groups are trying to deprive today's children from experiencing these animals. Their show is forever ruined due to OSHA's death grip. Good to see Seaworld is finally fighting back.

Bull crap. The range of a Killer Whale in the wild is thousands of miles. These whales are confined to a tank. They are not free, they are not "better off" because they live a long life. If you want your children to experience a real killer whale, try finding one in the wild. I'm sure you won't see anyone riding on their back, pushing a ball with their noses, or jumping out of the water on command. Throw a couple of seal pups in the tank and watch the whales hunt and kill them for food. THAT is what a killer whale does. It wasn't born to act like a freaking clown because some amusement park says they're "ambassadors" to their species.

And it takes generations to domesticate an animal. Just because they were born in an aquarium does not mean they're domesticated.

For the children...Bull crap. It's for the green in mommy and daddy's pocket.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nice justification! I guess that makes it right! That's what the slave owners used to say too.

Who says I am not a pet owner? I just don't go around and saying I am morally superior than than others and force others to accept my moral standards while I am doing precisely that same thing that I advocate against.
It's the truth, but i don't expect you to actually research it to find out. You'd rather just keep trolling silliness like this false equivalence between small domesticated animals and enormous wild animals.

And yes, our entire civilization is based on a belief in the moral superiority of some things over others. Murder, for example, has been deemed wrong.

And you are clearly on the side of wrong if you believe it's OK to snatch orcas from their family units, confine them into tiny tanks, and force them to do tricks for your amusement. It's not a moral ambiguity.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
That's the point. With an urban population zoos and places like Seaworld are the only exposure many ever have to animals other than cats or dogs. If you keep these people from seeing animals, being around animals, and interacting with animals they'll believe any dopey thing the left wants to do "for the animals."

It's not the orca's responsibility to be an abassador. And you are not interacting with an orca. You're watching it perform tricks. Not the same thing.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:27 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What unnatural diet? They eat fish.

They have a large tank to swim in, cared for with medical care.
Yet another example of Seaworlds utter failure to educate the public.

Some Orcas, eat fish, Some Orcas only eat certain kinds of fish. Other Orcas only eat seals, while other Orcas prefer whale tongue. Some Orcas have even learned how to subsist on a diet of stingrays. These varied eating habits are particular to specific pods (that's what you call a group of Orcas) that live in specific geographic areas of the world.

What is truly interesting is that as The Apex Predators, Orcas, no matter where they are, don't attack humans except in captivity.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
I generally avoid zoos and other "come gawk at animals that are either scared witless or drugged so they act like they aren't" attractions. Even as a kid I felt bad for the animals, particularly apex or near-apex predators like sharks, big cats, bears, etc. And while I appreciate conservation efforts attached to some of the more intellectually honest and morally upstanding zoos/preserves, I think conservation is a fight among humans that does not mandate imprisoning and exploiting the animals in order to save them.

I'll never go to SeaWorld for obvious reasons, but that was the case before I saw "Blackfish."

And there are non-prison ways to both learn about and help conserve wildlife. Really. If you want to do more for conservation than your ticket to SeaWorld does, donate more than 1 cent to any cetacean/whale/dolphin conservation/awareness group, because more than 1 cent means you gave more to conservation efforts than the 0.0001% of your ticket to SeaWorld, which is how much of their revenue actually goes to conservation, according to their own financial reports. Donate $10, and that covers more conservation money than SeaWorld would donate if you went every day for 3 years to watch the prisoners dance and play with balls.

Since no good libertarian seeks a government answer to any problem, I won't call for the government to ban SeaWorld or their exploitation of their marine prisoners, but I can and will boycott them for the rest of my life. Personal choice.

I expected SeaWorld to fight back because "Blackfish" kicked their revenue in the crotch, and did so with gusto. They're still full of crap and are in the business of tormenting animals for entertainment, but let the buyer and the free market sort it out. They'll never get any of my money, I know that.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Cue references to bawling calves ...
Yup. Or pigs in pens too small to turn around in, or chickens who are confined even more closely.
We don't treat the animals we eat well at all. And we feed them diets that all contain excrement from other species, ground up with the bodies of their kind who don't survive in the pens.

We treat the wild animals we keep for cheap entertainment even worse, and then wonder why their 'trainers' are killed. We cry great tears over the killing of wild seals in the Arctic, but don't think twice about those we see in places like Sea World, living out lives of utter misery, so far from their natural habitat that they could be living on Mars, which would be no more miserable for them.

But when it comes to our pets, they are all our precious babies.

Hypocrisy runs deep, even if the holding tanks are shallow. Yours is so deep that you didn't even bother to use a word for your hypocrisy; using a smilie was good enough for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies