Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:33 PM

393 posts, read 306,125 times

Advertisements

So one day I was at Walmart in a long line. Many people were in the back of me as well as this one guy that had like few items. So we probably were in line around 10 minutes at least or so. So as I was paying with my credit card, this lady came in line to get some item she had forgotten up by the cash register. The lady rather than just taking it and going to the back of the line or going to another line, stood there. The cashier rather than telling the lady to go in the back of the line was going to let her go in the back of me instead of the guy that had been waiting A LONG TIME to check out his few items. So the guy didn't say anything. I would have though. I wouldn't have been OK with someone CUTTING like that just because she forgot her item, especially after I had WAITED A LONG TIME ALREADY. I didn't get involved since I am not the person that got cut in front of, but if I were that guy, I would have said something, he didn't. Maybe he didn't want to make a scene or whatever, but I could tell by looking at him, he wasn't too happy about it.

So a few questions for you people out there:

1. If you were the lady that had forgotten your item, would you have tried to cut like that and WHY would you think you had any moral right to when you do know once you leave a line you loose your spot?

2. If you were the cashier, would you have done the MORALLY RIGHT THING to do as I would have done to tell the customer they had to get in the back of the line or choose another line? If not, WHY NOT(especially when the guy behind me didn't have but I think possibly even 2 items), knowing the guy and the other people behind him had been waiting A LONG TIME to check out their items so they can go home or where ever they needed to go?

3. Would you have said something to the cashier to stand up for your rights that it's cutting that you weren't OK with this action?

4. If the cashier wouldn't have complied about not cutting and chose to let the cutting happen anyways, would have you done as I would have done and went to a manager(not another line at customer service simply because that's too long of a wait(unless there was no one in line at the customer service counter of course), to report this or at least at your own convenience would have called the manager that this had happened to at least report it if when you did have the time?

5. Would you have minded waiting for this lady when you waited 20 minutes in line already if you would have waited 20 minutes(once I literally waited 30 minutes just about at Walmart in a check out line for real)? If you weren't in a hurry, would have you not minded? Even if I wasn't in a hurry, I would have minded simply because it's nor fair or morally right to do this. The fact that both people(the customer and the cashier) were not doing the morally right thing would be the issue that bothered me, even if I had all day to do nothing, it would simply make me mad that the other people behind me had things to do too. If they had no one else in line in the back of me, I still would not be OK with this simply because it's just not right. Even if I wouldn't have waited but a minute or two, I would have stood my ground to the cashier simply because that's just not right. I also feel they have 10 items or less lines, 20 items or less lines, it's NOT the ONLY LINE. I also personally would NOT do this myself if I would have forgotten something. I would not think I could just JUMP BACK IN LINE cutting in front of many people or even one person even. Even if the cashier would say "I can check you out now", I would do the "MORALLY RIGHT THING" and say "No, that's cutting, I will go in the back of the line or another line."

6. Would you go to the back of the line or another line if the cashier offered you to cut? If so, WHY? If so, you how can you see that as this is right to do even if the cashier invites you to cut, that doesn't make it right?

So my main question is, would be would you all be OK with someone cutting in line when you had waited a long time already even if they had just one item, it's still time off of *YOUR* TIME* you are spending on someone to CUT that decided to be SELFISH rather than deciding to do the right thing by not cutting in the first place?

How many people would have said something to the cashier? How many people wouldn't have cared even if they were in a hurry? How many people would not say anything? How many people would not be bothered at all and why? If you are not bothered by it, WHY? I am bothered by the ENTITLED attitude that this lady acted as if she was ABOVE everyone else as if this person's time was MORE IMPORTANT like if she was a queen BETTER than ANYONE ELSE that no one else's time mattered except hers. Especially the guy behind me. I could tell by looking at him, he was kind of pissed, but probably didn't say anything to not start trouble, but I don't get why the cashier thought this was OK to do this?

Any thoughts? Anybody that is a cashier, have you done the right thing as I would have done? Any customers out there that would have chose not to cut simply because it's just not right?

Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
The cashier doesn't really know who's next...they aren't looking at the customers, and probably couldn't identify the last 3 people they waited on.

If someone "cuts" in line, it's up to those in line to say something! You don't have to be nasty, but you can say, "Excuse me...the end of the line is back there." and point to the end of the line.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The cashier doesn't really know who's next...they aren't looking at the customers, and probably couldn't identify the last 3 people they waited on.

If someone "cuts" in line, it's up to those in line to say something! You don't have to be nasty, but you can say, "Excuse me...the end of the line is back there." and point to the end of the line.
How can you say the cashier doesn't know who is in line, because the lady came up to the cashier, so they aren't BLIND you do realize that right? The cashier knows who is next since there is a single file LINE and the lady wasn't in line. Are you serious that you think the cashier is blind or something?

It wasn't just someone that cut in line, it was that the CASHIER let them. The cashier knew the guy behind me was next since she came up while I was paying, so it was TOTALLY OBVIOUS that she was cutting. She should have went at the end of the line and waited her turn to even ASK for the item honestly. That's what I have done or just simply grabbed it without even asking the cashier and just stating "I forgot to get this" and leave if any questions were asked.

The person that cut shouldn't be cutting, but the main thing is the cashier should have stood ground said "You go in the back of the line" and the lady that cut should have just went in the back of the line not even THINKING she'd cut.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:23 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
If someone cut in line and YOU don't like or approve it - its up to you to say something. Don't expect the cashier or store manager to interfere, because they would not want to make any of their customers upset.
From all what I read above, it seems that you cannot handle small unpleasantness in your life. I don't really understand why you are so upset about it, nor why you didn't said anything if that bothered you so much.
In the event you do want to say something to the cutter, however, tread carefully. It may have been an honest mistake. When you bring anger into the situation, don't expect things to work in your favor.
Saying: "Excuse me, but I believe you just cut in line" is forceful enough to get your point across while still remaining open to the possibility that you could be wrong. You can also add: "The line starts back there, just so you know". That should work in most situations.
Or say something more along the lines of a surprised: "Oh! Are you in a hurry?"
In any case: you need to learn to speak up.

BTW: I usually don't care. I've learned to be a bit more patient when I can. People can be in a rush, scumbags, or just stupid. Chill. Is that really something to ponder?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If someone cut in line and YOU don't like or approve it - its up to you to say something.
Since this wasn't "my time" altered, I didn't. I DEFINITELY would have said something if I were the guy behind me that got cut in front of, but I wasn't.

It's also not up to the customer, this is my entire point. THE CUSTOMER that cut should have done the "morally right thing" by not attempting to cut to begin with. Also, the *CASHIER* should have sent the customer to the back of the line or to go to another line and not decided to let this lady check her item out simply because it's cutting, it's the principle of it.

Do you understand that I am aggravated at the fact that both the customer and the cashier knew it was wrong, but continued to do the wrong thing. WHY should the customer that is being cut in front of have to say anything? When the lady decided to want to cut, that's when the worker(the cashier) should have sent her in the back. Once, I was at CVS, I thought it was separate lines, so I went to a cashier, they sent me to the back saying there was one big line and that it would go by that line, not by individual cashier lines. THAT is what should have happened here, that the CASHIER should have done the MORALLY RIGHT THING, NOT let cutting happen, understand now? This lady however, saw that she was cutting and knew she was, but did it anyway. For me, I didn't do what I did intentionally since I thought lines went by each cashier and it is normally not like that when I had gone before at CVS.

Quote:
Don't expect the cashier or store manager to interfere, because they would not want to make any of their customers upset.
The cashier should do the right thing since that is cutting since they did it when I was going to cut(which my experience wasn't intentional, hers was). Everyone knows at Walmart check out aisles it's all individual lines, not like at the customer service desk area where it's one single file line.

At Bed Bath and Beyond I was walking with my cart and noticed a lane open up, as I was already walking towards the line I saw the clerk/cashier motion for another guy to go that was in another line that he could go in that new line that was open. That guy customer made a decision to leave a line, so that means he was NO LONGER IN LINE TO HAVE A SPOT. No one makes you leave a line. He could have stayed as I have before. It's a personal decision. No one made that guy leave the line. So when I got to the line first, the guy customer didn't say anything as I expected he didn't, it was the clerk/cashier that told me the guy behind me was first. I was like, "NO, I beat him to the punch" "He a left the line." I also said "My time is just as important as his." Since the guy had a CHOICE and ****LEFT A LINE*******, he automatically didn't have a spot in a NEW LINE. I wasn't in line and I happen to see it was open. I had EVERY RIGHT to be first. It would be the equivalent of if me and another customer walked at the same time by a line, but let's say she beat me to it. Same thing. If that guy was in the line, he could have stayed in that line if he chose to. No one made the guy leave the line. Some people that I told this story to don't agree. I don't understand why when you wait in DIFFERENT LINES for a reason. I also feel it's different like if you are let's say at Walgreens and they say "next in line" to the other line, that's different, because those people are waiting in line with the cashier specifically asking, but I wasn't in line and this wasn't a store where they have such close lines. This was SEPARATE LINES for each cashier. This line the guy was in was several aisles away.

So my point of my story is, the CLERK DID interfere and acted as if I was in the wrong when I wasn't. When anyone leaves a line, that's it, you LOSE that spot you had. That spot the guy had was not first anyways and doesn't matter if he was in another line waiting. Also, I have refused before when some cashier had offered me to go. It's a *CHOICE* to move lines. Sometimes I have moved lines, waited LONGER than if I had stayed in my line. A lot of people feel because the "CLERK" called him over, he was next, but honestly he wasn't. He LEFT that spot he *HAD*(PAST TENSE) and didn't have ONE SPOT in line once he decided to leave the line. HE LEFT not with a gun to his head making him leave that line. The customer didn't tell me anything as I said. Just because a cashier or clerk motions you to come there was doesn't mean you have to go and it certainly doesn't mean you earned the first spot in line. As I said before, at Walgreens, it's sort of like a single file line where they say "next in line", but at aisles like Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond, they are all separated completely lines. The clerk didn't say "next in line", he just motioned the guy over. Even if, the clerk had NO RIGHT to tell me anything since I got in line first because I was going to the line first. I should have went to customer service to report it, but it would have taken me more time that I didn't want to spend. I should have reported that morally wrong clerk, because that started a fight for no reason when the customer didn't have any problem with me getting there before him at least verbally anyway, because he didn't say anything at all, not even when the clerk said something. He just kept his mouth shut as he should have by staying out of it. He was a smart customer to not say anything.

Quote:
I don't really understand why you are so upset about it,
Because it's mean and wrong. It's very INCONSIDERATE of other people's feelings and time. Also, I would NEVER FATHOM doing that to another human being. Whether I was the cashier or the lady cutting customer.

Quote:
nor why you didn't said anything if that bothered you so much.
Because I wasn't going to take my OWN TIME to fight a fight that wasn't *ME* getting cut in front of. That would have cost ME time. I wasn't going to fight a fight for someone else. I am going to fight my OWN battles, NOT anyone else's battles. It's theirs to speak up for, even though they shouldn't have to as I said, it's still THEIRS to do. I am not going to fight their battles for them. That will cost ME time. I am aggravated about because I am imagining if it were me one day getting cut in front of, what would I personally do.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:49 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Oh... I remember your thread about taking spots on parking lots. Same angry dilemma...

If all that stuff is not directly affecting you, then why are you so angry about? Obviously you know what YOU would do. Don't worry about others.
Now you are wasting YOUR TIME writing about what other people should and shouldn't do. You cannot teach them all...
What would you do when another driver "cuts" in front of you? A road rage? For them, frustration levels are high, and level of concern for fellow motorists is low.

Last edited by elnina; 05-02-2015 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Oh... I remember your thread about taking spots on parking lots. Same dilemma...
My point of my Bed Bath and Beyond story is that the clerk tried to tell me the guy that was in that other line far away was first and I wasn't even though I had beat that guy by 4-5 seconds probably to the line. The clerk should not have said anything to me and just checked me out. With all of that talk, I would have been done, so he gave lousy customer service to the person behind me and he couldn't make me move anyways. If he would have gotten a manager over this, I would have told him I beat that guy to the spot, that's how lines truly work, that this is not a single file line of saying "Who's next." I bet the manager would have been on my side after seeing the video surveillance showing that I really didn't cut. I should have reported it. It still pisses me off to this day and this happened many years ago.

It's not the same dilemma as the parking spots. It's different since parking spots don't have lines or turns to speak of.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:21 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Our cvs has a single line and they have a spot on the floor that says to wait there. I was next in line and a lady walked up next to me and got some candy (the candy racks stretch along the entire cash register area but they are behind the customers and define the area). Anyway, she continued along and I almost said something, but thought she's probably just getting more candy. Which she did, but then she proceeded to walk up to the cashier. I said "excuse me!" At the same time the cashier told her that the line formed behind me.

If I forgot something and the line was that long, I'd get it at my next trip. Nothing is that important. I forgot vinegar at the store tonight and realized it as soon as I walked outside. Not worth going back for one item.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:55 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Oh... I remember your thread about taking spots on parking lots. Same angry dilemma...

If all that stuff is not directly affecting you, then why are you so angry about? Obviously you know what YOU would do. Don't worry about others.
Now you are wasting YOUR TIME writing about what other people should and shouldn't do. You cannot teach them all...
What would you do when another driver "cuts" in front of you? A road rage? For them, frustration levels are high, and level of concern for fellow motorists is low.
A driver who cuts in front of me is threatening my life. As to people cutting in line......I have gotten into a fist fight over that.......you wait in line for almost an hour to eat and someone cuts in front of you......it is beyond "impolite".

Old 05-02-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
If I forgot something and the line was that long, I'd get it at my next trip. Nothing is that important. I forgot vinegar at the store tonight and realized it as soon as I walked outside. Not worth going back for one item.
What I usually do is if I forget something, I usually either get out the line and go get it not intending to get back in the same line(go to another line) OR check out what I do have if I had been waiting a long time, then go to get what I forgot, then check out at a 20 or 10 items or less line if I can.

What I HATE, DESPISE is people will leave their basket as a "place holder" and go get their forgotten items. I have gone in front of their baskets if their items aren't being checked out at that exact moment. I can't stand people who think that "objects" will hold their spot. If objects held spots, people wouldn't be camping out on Black Friday suffering through the weather conditions and waiting like that if you could just leave some item to hold your spot so you can go back to reclaim it at a later time. I don't care if they are gone 30 seconds, it's the principle of it. Some lady went to get a 20 oz bottle of coke leaving the line, I went right in front of her. She didn't say a word. She left her basket, but left the line to get a bottle of coke at another check out area that had no cashier at it.

Once, I saw a basket full of items in a line, I had like maybe 3 items or so, which I had no reason for a basket, so I went right in front of it. I sure as hell didn't care that the basket was there, the PERSON wasn't. That person's basket is not a spot holder. I am not understanding WHY SOOOOO MANY PEOPLE DO THIS?

I had someone that left a line at Walmart that had a big box felt "held his spot" to go get a shopping cart(like at least a minute or so possibly more) and then he told me something as if I was cutting when I was getting ready to be next in line(I moved up) when honestly if you LEAVE a line, you LOSE YOUR SPOT, PERIOD! He said he was there before me and he had his box there, I was like, "SO WHAT, YOU LEFT THE LINE" and told him "YOU LEAVE A LINE, YOU LOSE YOUR SPOT." That stuff is honestly the company's stuff since they didn't pay for it yet, so that means NOTHING. The guy in front of me that was in the middle of still checking out( I believe at that point he was paying) was on his side even. I couldn't believe they made a big deal about it, because when I leave a line, I SURE THE HELL ******NEVER**********, EVER, EVER, EVER EXPECT to get back the spot I *****HAD*******, NOTICE I SAID ***PAST TENSE*** that the spot I "had", not that I STILL HAVE. He made it out as if I had pushed my way in front of him when he left the line to get the shopping cart FARRRR AWAY. This was in the garden center, so it took him at least a minute to get to the other entrance to grab a basket. He should have been responsible to get his basket *BEFORE* he started shopping or BEFORE he got in line the stupid idiot. I bet if someone else got in line while he was gone, he wouldn't have said anything and if he would, they would have told him to go to hell more than likely. He knows it. I couldn't believe the guy in front of me actually was on his side, like I don't quite get that when he wasn't in line anymore to have that spot anymore? The cashier stood staying out of the conversation. I just couldn't believe this guy actually thought he could just get out of line and think magically get back where he was at. I don't quite understand the concept of Walmart owns the box of whatever he was GOING to buy anyways, so it wasn't even his item even(not that it mattered, even if it was a jacket of his he owned, objects don't hold spots in lines, EVER.) The point is, the item wasn't even his since he didn't actually even "PAY" for it yet, so he didn't own anything even that he felt was "holding his spot" so dearly as if this was a live human being hold his spot or something. As I said above, doesn't matter if he put a jacket or an umbrella he owned, that doesn't hold the spot you had. That didn't make ANY SENSE what-so ever. An object doesn't hold your spot in line. I have NEVER HEARD of such an ABSURD thing in my life. As I said, WHY would ANYONE camp out on Black Friday if that were the case if I wasn't right, huh? People would just put a grocery basket with their name on it and magically come back to claim their spot the next day if that were the case. Also, why would people wait in line if they could just go shop or do something else like maybe sit on a bench until it's their turn instead of stand there in line if the basket or an object held spots? Who would really want to "stand" there in line if they could sit in most cases(not counting obviously people in wheel chairs or the motorized baskets)?

To the people that put objects to hold your spot and leave the lines, WHY DO you all do this, then think you can just come back in the line where you were at?

Last edited by Springs1; 05-02-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies