Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Baltimore spends more on education than any city in America except New York.

Baltimore second in per-pupil spending, according to Census Bureau - tribunedigital-baltimoresun
I would be more curious where that money was going towards per student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I honestly don't know what can be done. How to invest? What exactly to do? I haven't seen a plan, does anyone have one?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Force them to work or starve to death.

Free jobs?

Old 05-04-2015, 04:19 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
No. I believe that most people are just looking for equality.
I disagree but that is ok.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
All I heard today on all the Sunday morning news shows was "we have to invest in our inner city youth" and the like - just nonSTOP about it, am I the only one SICK OF THIS ****?

These people are a g-- damn DRAG on American progress...a complete abyss. We have spent and spent and spent and spent on these people and what do we get?

How about you people TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY and GROW UP - that way we wouldn't have to babysit your people like little children.
Here's an article on some major investment that went into black neighborhoods in Baltimore and how little change it made:

Why couldn’t $130 million transform one of Baltimore’s poorest places?

Why couldn

Here's an interesting part:

Quote:
Daniel P. Henson III, the city’s housing commissioner when the initiative was launched, agreed that building houses and building thriving families were two different things. “What we did not know as well,†he said, “was how to improve human capital.â€

The city tried. It hired people to knock on doors and offer health screenings. Others visited the homes of truant students to find out what was preventing them from attending school. Organizers helped form community groups and began a neighborhood newsletter to bring people together.

“We were naive,†said Diane Bell McKoy, president and chief executive of Associated Black Charities and a former top aide to Schmoke. “We meant well, and we mean well, but I don’t think we have taken time to dig deeply enough to find the answers."
And THIS is what I've been saying all along about blacks. NOTHING will change as long as blacks themselves don't change and become better people and raise their kids properly to be good, decent people as well.

So when blacks in Baltimore say they weren't getting enough help to improve their lives, well here you go. You DID get at least one major chance, yet you MESSED IT UP and threw it all away and now you're back to complain about the same thing years later.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:01 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Have you tried changing the channel? If you are tired of hearing something, you don't have to sit and watch that show or channel. I haven't kept up on these riots or the arrests because Baltimore has no effect on my life. If this story was closer to home and more of a local or regional issue, then I would care more.
Coming to an area near you soon!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:04 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
"your people"?

You mean poor Blacks correct?
Not all of those protesters are 'poor' It's already been proven, giving more to poor people does not make them want to get ahead. Show them to work and provide for themselves and then their lives will turn around.

Why work when a lot of the 'poor' are now dealing heroin, makes much more money than working 8 hrs a day. Until these people see the importance in their own lives, we can't do much, but to keep handing them $$$ to ruin their lives........it's time to stop!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
All I heard today on all the Sunday morning news shows was "we have to invest in our inner city youth" and the like - just nonSTOP about it, am I the only one SICK OF THIS ****?

These people are a g-- damn DRAG on American progress...a complete abyss. We have spent and spent and spent and spent on these people and what do we get?

How about you people TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY and GROW UP - that way we wouldn't have to babysit your people like little children.

I'm sick of it!
I do not think the root issue is that you have to invest in the inner-city, or more appropriately, the black community. I think the issue is that America has to FIRST believe in black people. People are not going to invest in people that they do not believe have the innate capacity to create a return on their investment. It’s the same reason that nearly all the direct foreign investment dollars go to Asia and not Africa, from the West, allowing Asian economies to boom while Africa is stymied by compound interest loans with preconditions that tell those countries what their country should do economically, in other words, focus on those sectors where they have comparative advantage (which is many agricultural products from cheap labor).

First, let me point out something here. It takes money to make money in the business world, generally speaking. Whites have accumulated control of most of the wealth and money in the US, and disproportionately so in both the US and the world. Thus, if other entities or groups want to rise, they need monies and hence that means that they need whites to invest, but whites will only invest where they believe there is a good potential return on investment (ROI). Thus, white dollars dominate the free market economy and white speculation (beliefs) can make or break you. For example, what essentially is gentrification, aside from the return of the gentry? It’s basically whites with money believing an area of the city has the potential to comeback and hence white dollars flowing into former poor urban areas. White beliefs then become a self-fulfilling prophecy because their actions, based upon their beliefs, make the prophecy come true.

Secondly, this is what many whites do not acknowledge. They have created self-fulfilling prophecies by virtue of their majority rule couple with their disproportionate dominance of wealth. Whites probably own upwards of 90% of the wealth in this nation, while being ~ 70% of the population. Hence, one cannot maximize their success without taping into the monies and wealth of the white demographic. Thus, if the white demographic think you are a bad risk, even if you are not, you are likely to fail or be severely stunted in your success, because the white demographic WILL TREAT YOU LIKE A FAILURE and that treatment will likely facilitate your failure. Now, based upon the history that I know of this nation, it has always seen black people as inferior and bad risk……and therefore treated blacks that way, which in turn produced a black community that is socioeconomically inferior and a bad risk. It’s not a chicken or egg argument. What came first is white supremacy with its corollary of black inferiority and so that is how blacks were treated and that is how we have become, because that is the way we were treated.

SELF FULLFILLING PROPHECY:

4 Steps to Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
1. Perceiver has expectations about how target will behave
2. Perceiver then behaves in a way that is likely to elicit the expected target behavior
3. Target indeed behaves in a way that confirms perceiver�s expectations
4. Perceiver (Objective Perceiver) sees predicted behavior
Examples of Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
* You expect your new roommate to be shy so you don�t speak much to him after he moves in, and he therefore does seem shy
* A coach expects his freshmen to be uncoordinated and unskilled so he does not play them often, and when he does they are rusty and do not perform well
* Your professor expects you to do well and she spends extra time with you preparing for the exam, so you get an A

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy:

Finally, Just for humor.....I will throw this video in just to demonstrate how good it is to be white in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYLimiwMMJQ

Old 05-04-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, nothing will change with the same-old, same-old, same-old!!!!

I have been hearing the cries of MORE INVESTMENT for a LONG time.......it does not work. Well, it works for the lucky few who get $$$$$$$$$$$$ jacked into their pockets!
You're right, if it worked, they would be doing it!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Agree OP. There was some clown governor on msnbc this morning, tying Baltimore to the profits hedge funds make, collateralized mortgage obligations, etc. basically just fodder for low info voters.

Still waiting for a community leader to say, gee, maybe we have a strained relationship with the police bc the murder / violence rates of the black community is 10x any other culture / race.

The last two years, IMO, have sett he black community back tremendously. The agenda is being pushed and largely accepted that it's the rest of the country that needs to change to accommodate them, not that they need to change their culture.

Recent example - councilwoman in nyc proposed a bill making things like peeing in public, jumping subway turnstiles, etc a non criminal offense bc it 'unfairly effects the poor, minority community'
This seems to be the mentality of public officials now a days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies