Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
It's the same failed "Great Society" and "War on Poverty" rhetoric. Let's throw money at the problem and hope that it goes away. What it boils down to is raising taxes on the productive people and redistributing it to the people who don't care.
Funny whenever the government wages war on something , we end up with more of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 11:09 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Job skills are earned, not inherited.

And why wouldn't they employ a qualified individual from the inner city?
Because they don't have 20 years to wait for the next generation who aren't all messed up in the head on drugs and whatever else they have going on.

They don't have the money for the multiple lawsuits they'll have going ALL THE TIME for racism allegations every time an employee is fired or disciplined.

"qualified individual from the inner city"

Sadly for America, those are few and far between. Very far between.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:13 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
really? show me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C;39495296[B
]According to conservatives on this board, there are no poor people in the US[/b], so it seems like the war on poverty is doing pretty well.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:14 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't that person show up dressed appropriately on time to do work? Why would they steal?

Do you honestly associate stealing with black people from the inner city?

Rabid right-wingers just can't help themselves. In the case of a qualified individual, any hiring discrimination on the basis of race is actually grounds for lawsuits.
And Rabid left wingers, and I think this is common knowledge do not live in the real world. They live in this fantasy Utopia where everyone is awesome and it's only because of the terrible old bigots who just won't give people a chance.

You try opening a business there and see what happens.

I remember back in the days when Honeywell was still one of the top companies in Minnesota they tried opening a manufacturing facility in the "hood" in St Paul. Good jobs, good benefits.

They invested millions on the plant. They shut it down within 2 years because of theft, fake worker's comp claims and in terrible productivity of the plant. They tried to do something nice and right and they lost millions because of it.

This is not something that can be done overnight. The culture has to be changed from within starting with the family. And end Welfare.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:28 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
really? show me!
Where do America's "poor" stand in this scale of poverty

What Is Poverty in the United States Today?

Poverty, really?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:29 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't that person show up dressed appropriately on time to do work? Why would they steal?

Do you honestly associate stealing with black people from the inner city?

Rabid right-wingers just can't help themselves. In the case of a qualified individual, any hiring discrimination on the basis of race is actually grounds for lawsuits.
Since I don't live on the plant BLxspft, yes all those things I associate with blacks from the inner city. I've seen it, experienced it, regretted it. Until I see different, that's exactly what I am going to think.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:51 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
It makes me sick that they think pre-k programs will solve it. These are educated people that come up with these ideas. It's sick

Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
It makes me sick that they think pre-k programs will solve it. These are educated people that come up with these ideas. It's sick
Those in power think throwing more money at a problem will "quiet them" because it surely won't fix any problems.

And to admit the truth is a bitter pill that no one wants to swallow.
So we all continue to live in denial.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:03 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Investing in things which will be torn down at the next whim is senseless.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:03 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The problem is that Baltimore was a decent city with a long history, colleges, industry, and jobs. The people who live there destroyed it. Investing will do nothing.
any inner city slum needs to invest, but how do you educate the parents to

1. Be good parents
2. Use condoms
3. invest in your own child, teach them morals and respect

you cannot invest in people that don't have some kind of moral respect for others? If the parents are drunks, the kid will grow up on the street

So, I'm asking not you, but everyone, what can we do about it...

this whole situation has put cops and cities on the defense, b/c they fear these criminals getting their way by rioting.....

that is not how you get things done....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies