Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,392,508 times

Advertisements

Before I go further, let's be honest, these people that are rioting are NOT people with jobs/careers, (or at least stable good paying ones), or people that are decent human beings. These people are rioting because other than selling drugs, doing drugs, abusing the system, or making babies that they have no intention of caring for, what else would they be doing? Sleeping until noon and "hanging out" on the streets until all hours of the day or night.

I agree big business has gutted the middle class. The current capitalistic system in place is only benefiting the top 1%. Throwing money at the problem will change nothing. Here's what needs to happened. GUT the education system!!! Replace it with an education system that teaches to EACH INDIVIDUAL'S NEEDS/LEARNING STYLES!!! Make higher education affordable for EVERYONE! Stop telling every black kid that picks up a basketball or football that he's gonna be the next LeBron or Ray Lewis. [MOD CUT/profanity] bling bling, driving an Escalade, I'm gonna buy my mom a house and focus on something besides sports. Focus on going to college for an actual education NOT with the intentions of being a pro athlete. As a white person I get the impression that some, (mostly those under 30), in the black community look down on having an actual job. They wanna be athletes, singers and rappers. Correct me if I'm wrong. There's no shame in working 8, 10, 12 hours a day.

Last, stop the war on drugs. It's nothing but a waste of tax payer money and its created more drug dealers

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. There comes a point in time where you have to be willing to help yourself

I agree there are forms of oppression and a lot needs to change, but rioting is not the solution to the problems

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-04-2015 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:57 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,209,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
All I heard today on all the Sunday morning news shows was "we have to invest in our inner city youth" and the like - just nonSTOP about it, am I the only one SICK OF THIS ****?

These people are a g-- damn DRAG on American progress...a complete abyss. We have spent and spent and spent and spent on these people and what do we get?

How about you people TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY and GROW UP - that way we wouldn't have to babysit your people like little children.

I'm sick of it!

Me too!

Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 PM

684 posts, read 998,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Before I go further, let's be honest, these people that are rioting are NOT people with jobs/careers, well of course because the people in that neighborhood represent a specific demographic (or at least stable good paying ones), or people that are decent human beings I wouldn't say there are not decent but they're lost. These people are rioting because other than selling drugs, doing drugs, abusing the system, or making babies that they have no intention of caring for, what else would they be doing? Sleeping until noon and "hanging out" on the streets until all hours of the day or night. The lack of opportunity, training, commitment has been in the rough areas for years kind of make people stagnant and hopeless. Even though I don't think that give people the right to riot but it did get the attention of people across the nation.

I agree big business has gutted the middle class. The current capitalistic system in place is only benefiting the top 1%. Throwing money at the problem will change nothing. Here's what needs to happened. GUT the education system this is something that must happen. If anything should be invested in the inner city it would be the schools everything else will follow with the cracking down of crime and drugs!!! Replace it with an education system that teaches to EACH INDIVIDUAL'S NEEDS/LEARNING STYLES!!! Make higher education affordable for EVERYONE! Stop telling every black kid that picks up a basketball or football that he's gonna be the next LeBron or Ray Lewis. Yeah I agree I hate that stereotype that you should play basketball just because your black and tall. But this is also embedded in American culture in hit shows like Empire, and a good number of the black celebrity rappers, singers, athletes just happen to be from the hood adding to this mindset bling bling, driving an Escalade, I'm gonna buy my mom a house and focus on something besides sports. Focus on going to college for an actual education NOT with the intentions of being a pro athlete. As a white person I get the impression that some, (mostly those under 30), in the black community look down on having an actual job. They wanna be athletes, singers and rappers I can say this is the one thing that gives them hope and dreams in toughest inner cities in the country. Correct me if I'm wrong. There's no shame in working 8, 10, 12 hours a day. Again I don't think people would have problem working 9-5 on a good salary you cant work 8-12 hour days if there are no jobs for these people and even if they were they probably wouldn't get hired other than a McDonalds, etc. Thing is college is not for everyone especially when costs are considered no matter who you are but it would be great if more trade/labor jobs for low skill high wage weren't outsourced.

Last, stop the war on drugs. It's nothing but a waste of tax payer money and its created more drug dealers

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. There comes a point in time where you have to be willing to help yourself

I agree there are forms of oppression and a lot needs to change, but rioting is not the solution to the problems

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 05-04-2015 at 06:28 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 PM

23,334 posts, read 17,012,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
All I heard today on all the Sunday morning news shows was "we have to invest in our inner city youth" and the like - just nonSTOP about it, am I the only one SICK OF THIS ****?

These people are a g-- damn DRAG on American progress...a complete abyss. We have spent and spent and spent and spent on these people and what do we get?

How about you people TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY and GROW UP - that way we wouldn't have to babysit your people like little children.

I'm sick of it!
Money required for inherited failed social programs has been the proposed panacea for all ills, big fail but the trough feeders need that money to maintain their lifestyle and living conditions will cry the loudest at any other suggested strategy.

Liberals think there is an infinite linear relationship between money spent and quality education and social programs. Infortunately there is a point of diminishing return they conveniently overlook as they believe the taxpayers will assauge their guilt through higher taxes.....not unlike the pleanrty indulgence which led to the prostestant reformation. You pay cash to have your past and future sins forgiven.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 PM

NorthernestSouthernest C good post. I totally agree jobs have to pay a livable wage, (not $8 an hour)., As a college drop-out, I also agree that college is NOT for everyone, (again its back to that dinosaur education system), trade/labor jobs, (with good wages), CANNOT be outsourced! There's where greed comes into play, corporate America wants to outsource because labor is cheaper.

If you think about it, just about every single problem we have can be traced back to money/greed

Old 05-04-2015, 06:44 PM

684 posts, read 998,785 times
Quote:
NorthernestSouthernest C good post. I totally agree jobs have to pay a livable wage, (not $8 an hour)., As a college drop-out, I also agree that college is NOT for everyone, (again its back to that dinosaur education system), trade/labor jobs, (with good wages), CANNOT be outsourced! There's where greed comes into play, corporate America wants to outsource because labor is cheaper.

If you think about it, just about every single problem we have can be traced back to money/greed
Thanks and exactly ^^^^

Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM

77,786 posts, read 59,928,695 times
Quote:

....and the fact that if your factor pays $20/hour in Iowa and mine pays $3/hour in China the US consumer is going to buy my product and you are going bankrupt.

You can blame corporate America all you like but the US consumer is every bit as bad.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,321,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
....and the fact that if your factor pays $20/hour in Iowa and mine pays $3/hour in China the US consumer is going to buy my product and you are going bankrupt.

You can blame corporate America all you like but the US consumer is every bit as bad.

An economy spiraling downward. Financially distressed individuals buy cheap --> undermine American jobs --> more people are financially distressed --> rinse and repeat, whirl without end, amen.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 AM

IF, and I'm stressing the word if, if people are smart Baltimore can be a good thing. I'm not saying when you get angry to go riot. What I'm saying is that it could be looked at as a wake-up call. A wake-call to our government and society that the US better change some of its ways or there'll be more Baltimore's.

Before I go further I do agree people need to take some responsibility for themselves and their actions.

Here are items that need to change.

1. Education. Get rid of the current education system that teaches a standardized test. Not everyone learns the same. We must teach to each one's ability to learn. Talk to any teacher, liberal or conservative and they will tell the current system sucks. Eliminate the three month summer vacation and cut it back to six weeks. Kids can't retain nine months of lessons over a three month break. As society, we need to promote education. Currently we promote sports in schools, NOT education. There is nothing wrong with playing sports, but the chances of one making a living playing sports are slim to none. Stop funding school districts based on property taxes. Rich neighborhoods have high property taxes, poor and working class neighborhoods have lower property taxes its not rocket science to figure out which schools are better funded. This is a classic case in PA where I live. Let each state collect property taxes, put them into a fund and distribute them EVENLY throughout the state to level the playing field. Make higher education affordable for everyone. Right now poor and middle class kids are being priced out of college. Quality education should be a right, not a privilege.

2. The current capitalist system is only working for the top 1%. Yesterday, (5/14/15), the DOW closed a hair above 18,000. From the outset it looks like the economy is booming. It is, for the 1%. This is almost like the roaring 20's where those at the top did really well but the gap between those at the top and everybody else grew sharply, and we all know what happened in 1929. We need to go back to the pre-Reagan days of more regulations and NO "TRICKLE-DOWN ECONOMICS." Also the American worker has come out the loser in the global economy. F*ck the global economy! Let's worry about ourselves. If it means regulating CEO pay so that trade and labor jobs are more available and pay more so be it

3. End childhood obesity. Kids today are fat and disgusting, (its not their fault),. In the long run it will drive up health care costs and make many of these kids unfit to work certain jobs. Government needs to stop subsidizing corn growers and sugar producers. I applaud Michelle Obama for wanting to make a change in the school lunch program. I also support Michael Bloomberg for him wanting eliminate super sized sodas. Kids do NOT need to be eating Pizza Hut and Arby's and drinking soda for lunch in school. Don't give me the "it costs more to eat healthy," you can pay a little now or a lot later. I'm a bodybuilder, I don't eat junk food, and when you don't eat it you don't have a taste for it. We also need to regulate the food industry's marketing tactics on children

4. Stop worshipping athletes and entertainers. Sports and entertainment are fine, but its damn near unattainable to think just cause because you play sports, sing, rap, or stared in a school play you will make a plush living doing it. There's no shame in driving a truck, building a road, selling insurance, being a financial advisor, or working in a factory. Nothing wrong with aspiring to be famous, but you need to have a realistic back-up plan.

5. Stop the war on drugs. I shouldn't even have to explain this.

In the end there will always be those that refuse to help themselves and look for a "hand-out" rather than a "hand-up." For those people there's nothing you can do. However, a feel if more were given better opportunities when it came to jobs and education, there would be less un-rest

Feel free to add

Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,151,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Nothing will change until there is a major change in the culture of the black community. Only the blacks can make this change.

There should be no "black community" or "white community". People should only segregate themselves by income, not race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies