Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Place black cops only in black neighborhoods. Then crime would go down. Or less folks would be locked up cause the cops would be busy mentoring the boys from single mom homes.
You mean like 3 of the 6 cops under arrest in Baltimore?

Old 05-06-2015, 03:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Out of all of the initial posters, none were part of the targeted demographic. Keep that in mind.

We have the world's highest incarceration rate. Most prisoners per capita. An unjust justice system, targeting certain demographics. Extreme poverty. Poor education. Lack of opportunities. High addiction rates. A REAL Drug War.

Why are these problems just now being addressed?

I think Roadking hit on a very good point when referencing Investment. The problem is systemic at this point and drastic things are going to have to be done to fix the problem.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:16 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Out of all of the initial posters, none were part of the targeted demographic. Keep that in mind.

We have the world's highest incarceration rate. Most prisoners per capita. An unjust justice system, targeting certain demographics. Extreme poverty. Poor education. Lack of opportunities. High addiction rates. A REAL Drug War.

Why are these problems just now being addressed?
They aren't being addressed. Might not ever be because people will most likely never agree to what the problem is or accept the solution.

I've complained about many of those things many times.

Quote:
I think Roadking hit on a very good point when referencing Investment. The problem is systemic at this point and drastic things are going to have to be done to fix the problem.
Drastic things have also been a part of the problem. is: The bail outs. Life isn't fair but its also in a country lkme the U.S. not supposed to be one sided.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:24 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They aren't being addressed. Might not ever be because people will most likely never agree to what the problem is or accept the solution.

I've complained about many of those things many times.

I learn a lot coming to these forums. There's a lot of really smart people. I don't know how to solve the problem you just stated, but it made a light bulb go off in my head. Great point

Drastic things have also been a part of the problem. is: The bail outs. Life isn't fair but its also in a country lkme the U.S. not supposed to be one sided.
Definitely agree with you.

And I think some posters are trying to use the "fair" concept to the extreme. Of course we know life isn't going to be equal, but at least institutionally, it should be "fair" in a free society.

Bailing out the banks without bailing out the Middle class isn't fair. Locking up people for marijuana while alcohol and cigarettes are legal isn't fair.

Thinking about it more, I think 1st you'd have to get reasonable people, and only reasonable people together to be unbiased enough to create a more 'fair' system.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:

And I think some posters are trying to use the "fair" concept to the extreme. Of course we know life isn't going to be equal, but at least institutionally, it should be "fair" in a free society.

Bailing out the banks without bailing out the Middle class isn't fair. Locking up people for marijuana while alcohol and cigarettes are legal isn't fair.

Thinking about it more, I think 1st you'd have to get reasonable people, and only reasonable people together to be unbiased enough to create a more 'fair' system.
You really equate substances, alcohol and marijuana, which alter perception and behavior to one, tobacco, which doesn't?

Old 05-06-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:

I agree. I picked that phrase out also so what we had here was one of two things. Someone that is ignorant as to how that would be taken or someone that did it on purpose to keep people separated.

Quote:
Those are artificial things we can and should change but there are also things we simply can't. There is no way to make me 6'.6" and be able to hit the three pointer 40% of the time.

Quote:
I think those 6 people have other interests. IMO there are far too many unwilling to accept what it would take. It would mean Wall Street is not a guarantee of fast wealth and that if you are unwilling to work you just have to accept a mediocre life.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You really equate substances, alcohol and marijuana, which alter perception and behavior to one, tobacco, which doesn't?
Its not quite fair to pick only one out of the statement. The statement has to be taken as a whole.

Alcohol does all of that and tobacco costs us billions in health costs.

O.K. argue that.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:06 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Life isn't always fair, rules aren't always fair, laws aren't always fair, but we all have a choice, to follow them, or not....

I knew smoking pot was wrong, and drinking was wrong, and I contemplated as a child, did I want to go with the right or wrong? It was my choice, and no one but no one could have decided for me, or given me anything free, that would have made me choose differently.

It's a choice, regardless, a human choice of where you want to be and go....and that comes from good parenting or bad parenting....

Period!

I wasn't black, but was raised by a single woman, who was abused herself....she abused me terrible and we were poor.
She should have never been a parent, I don't hate her, but I don't talk to her today.
I had a choice as a child, and knew what I was doing and knew right from wrong, and I knew, more then anything else, int he world, I wasn't going to be like her, and I would be a good parent, and never ever hurt my kids....and I could go in to describing my life as a child, but I won't.....I could have chosen drugs, and the street, but didn't, I broke the chains that bind...I look at my mother's sisters and how messed up they were, and how they messed up their kids, and observe them today....what the difference is...I had a normal family that lived across the street, take me in and treat me like their own, so I had positive influence, one of which I wanted to be like, and another of which I vowed, never to be like....so, all the complaining and excuses don't cut it with me....

The more you give someone, the more they want and take....

I am sick and tired of reading these black on white threads....tell you what...rioting and destroying your own neighborhoods, have at it, but it doesn't prove a darn thing positive....what it does prove is just how low those people are who are doing the rioting...they are people who have no sense of respect, or pride for who they are, and if they don't care about themselves, they don't care about anyone else....all they know is how to get what they want, by selling drugs and being a criminal.

What I will say, is, I believe a whole lot of cops have attitudes after working with these kind of people day in and day out...believe me, your working with the scum of the earth, people who spit on you, people who mouth off to you, call you names, people who kill each other to cop a drug fix....people who would stab you in the back just for being a cop, and people who would shoot you on site. People who do drive bys who don't care if they shoot a child instead....people who beat up their kids, their wives, who are constantly drunk and who live in **** roach infested homes with very little.
Cops walk in and see a baby dead from neglect....

Most cops start off caring, about society and want to help...but if you work with people day in and day out, sooner or later, it's going to rub off...and I cannot imagine, what a fight it is, to remain normal....after dealing with this every single day.

Most of the people cops deal with have rap sheets a mile long....Freddie did, and so do a lot of other people...bottom line is, if you keep your nose clean, you shouldn't have run in's with cops....and yes, I'm certain there are cops out there who pull people over to bully them, b/c the cops know that person has been arrested many many times.

I'm not saying this is an excuse for murder....but you can probably get the picture.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 05-06-2015 at 05:17 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 05:27 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Its not quite fair to pick only one out of the statement. The statement has to be taken as a whole.

Alcohol does all of that and tobacco costs us billions in health costs.

O.K. argue that.
Typical rationalization.

People having motorcycle accidents cost billions, too. As do people in car accidents. As does trying to educate the 30% or so of Baltimore City school students (links I posted) who drop out.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Typical rationalization.

People having motorcycle accidents cost billions, too. As do people in car accidents. As does trying to educate the 30% or so of Baltimore City school students (links I posted) who drop out.
Right.....so why only make one thing illegal? Does pot really do so much more damage than those things that it has to be illegal?

Even if you answer which is unlikely it still doesn't excuse pulling only half the argument out to try and.make a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.