Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:22 PM

938 posts, read 1,228,702 times

Advertisements

KYW 1060 announced the other day of methods being considered to make it easier to pay at Meters in Philadelphia. An opposition is that it would cut down some of the funds contributed to education which is obtained by the issuance of Parking Tickets. This bothers me for some reason. I suppose with that rationale another method of increasing the funds available for education would be to place a parking meter at every available parking space in Philadelphia. It sorts of increases the odds for more funding. uh oh!! I just said that. This simply is another way of getting people into the legal system. Can you spell STUPID -- This is a "Nutt(i)er" plan than usual. Too bad?? I thought so much of his political savvy and accomplishment but if he cannot see how stupid the objection then he hasn't got a prayer. How about selective prosecution for political purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:25 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Some believe that parking meters are a necessary evil.

Why aren't there any liberal do-gooders out there plugging (feeding) the meters for a necessary good?

You don't have to park a car to feed parking meters.

Some people just can't live without force or fraud "guiding" them.

Charity begins at the meter.

We live in Metered Times.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:42 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
I'm confused, which side are you aggrieved by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
methods being considered to make it easier to pay at Meters in Philadelphia.
Or

Quote:
opposition is that it would cut down some of the funds contributed to education which is obtained by the issuance of Parking Tickets.

Quote:
This bothers me for some reason.
That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Quote:
I suppose with that rationale another method of increasing the funds available for education would be to place a parking meter at every available parking space in Philadelphia. It sorts of increases the odds for more funding.
How? If it is easier to pay at meters, wouldn't that also mean less tickets not more?

Quote:
How about selective prosecution for political purposes.
Where did that come from?!?!?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
parking meters, red light cameras, parking tickets, even speeding tickets....all money making for the local governments

go down to the local courthouse any day and observe... 10,000-12,000+ ticket cases(depending on the courthouse) every day..nearly everyone of them $200+.....the local government takes in 2 million DAILY...5 days a week, 52 weeks a year.....600 billion yearly locals pay in tickets (depending on the town/county)

had a seatbelt ticket a few years ago..the ticket fine it self was $25...will all the court fees was a $225 bill to my wallet

Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 AM

938 posts, read 1,228,702 times
Default Not Clear - Position

I am against. Maybe this is the Mayor's problem too he is confused.

How about this!!! Every time a politician makes a political promise or an idea judged to be stupid by the public as a whole they have to pay a fine!!! How about $300. We would then have a funding surplus.

Mayor Nutter with all the admiration deserved for accomplishments get real and provide a solution to the Funding Problem that has spokes instead of an idea whose basis is deceit and trickery. How about a special Philadelphia Lottery. If you are going to pick pockets at least let them participate willingly.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:43 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
If I understood this, you oppose the opposition saying this will bring down revenue made from ticketing?

Is money made from tickets actually factored into the budget? That should not be the case. That opens up a window for making more things illegal than actually need to be illegal.

In general, I do suppose the concept of fines as punishments for many crimes, including many that are currently felonies. Basically, possession of anything illegal should result in a fine rather than prison time. It's just as effective a deterrent, and in non-violent crimes, might as well do it like that. Putting people in prison for possession cost tax payers money, whereas fining people costs tax payers nothing (or at least considerably less).

However, money made form fines shouldn't be part of the budget. It should be surplus, and can be used in areas that need it most.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
parking meters, red light cameras, parking tickets, even speeding tickets....all money making for the local governments
And all perfectly avoidable - with the possible exception of rigged red-light cameras, which have of course been banned pretty much anywhere people have had the wherewithal to fight them.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

go down to the local courthouse any day and observe... 10,000-12,000+ ticket cases(depending on the courthouse) every day..nearly everyone of them $200+.....the local government takes in 2 million DAILY...5 days a week, 52 weeks a year.....600 billion yearly locals pay in tickets (depending on the town/county)

had a seatbelt ticket a few years ago..the ticket fine it self was $25...will all the court fees was a $225 bill to my wallet
Court fees? Did you try to fight the ticket in front of a judge or something? That is the only time you might have to pay court fees in my city.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:50 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Court fees? Did you try to fight the ticket in front of a judge or something? That is the only time you might have to pay court fees in my city.
Some cities use court fees and tickets for 20-30% of their operating budget. You don't raise that sort of money without rigging the rules a bit. Obligatory court summons makes for a great way to pad the bill.

A charming place called "Ferguson" is notorious for this practice.

http://www.npr.org/2014/08/25/343143...ees-fuel-anger

Old 05-23-2015, 02:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
The practices seem to vary widely from place to place. Years ago I lived in Chicago, and when I got a ticket I showed up in court to fight it. The judge had us hold up our hands en masse to declare that we were not guilty, and dismissed all of our tickets.

In the Seattle area where I live now, it doesn't work that way. At best they will knock $20 or so off your fine if you show up in court. Hiring a traffic lawyer also seems to be pretty common here, and from what I've heard, a good one will be able to get you off the hook.

A growing issue here is tolling and the use of license plate photos to issue fines. This has proven to be an ATM for state gov't, and the liberals love it.
520 bridge toll fines seriously out of whack | The Seattle Times

Quote:
It turns out that in the first two and one-quarter years the state has been tolling on this bridge, they have levied a whopping $45.5 million just in fines. That was all in an attempt to recover only $4.8 million in unpaid tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies