Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:14 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I couldn't and didn't read the whole thing... but this really stood out for me....

By legally erasing biological parenthood in this way, the state ignores children’s foremost right: their immutable, intrinsic yearning to know and be raised by their own biological parents.

What a slap in the face to every single family formed by adoption, mine included, whether to straight or gay parents......

I don't think it was meant as a slap. I think it was an acknowledgement that most adopted kids seem to, eventually, want to find out about their biological beginnings, no matter how much they love and are loved within their adoptive family. I don't agree with the "and be raised by their own biological parents" -- many are just intensely curious, and meeting the biological parent(s) answers the question, "where do I come from?" It's a question that never occurs to biological children, many of whom are treated to family stories of "how much they are like their grandfather", or can trace an artistic streak back to an artistic great grandmother, etc., etc. An adopted child just . . . wonders. It's not a slam to their adoptive parents and family. But I think it's interesting that some adoptive kids end up forming ties -- some strong, some tentative -- with their biological parent(s) and half-brothers and sisters.

I think the saddest situations are when an adult makes contact with a birth parent and are told "that was a long time ago, and I don't want any contact with you to remind me of that terrible time." It takes a pretty healthy psyche not to feel rejected.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Non-essential businesses should be able to deny service to anyone for any reason, but I know all the do-gooders feel some much better when they force association on others.
Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the preceding 500 years of common law disagrees. If you are a business open to the public, you can not discriminate amongst members of the public.

But here again, Mr. Martinez in the name of doing away with one law you choose to impose another. Instead of a law that simply states that you cannot discriminate against any class of the public you instead would to establish a regulatory regime that would require the government to determine which businesses are essential and which that are not.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:58 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That 40% of Americans think it's more important to protect gay and lesbian rights than religious rights is simply an astounding number IMO. A decade ago, it wouldn't have been 20%. Two decades ago, it might have been 5%. A decade or so early than that, the question wouldn't have dared to be asked as the consensus was that gays and lesbians had no rights society was bound to respect. Ditto on the 25% who consider gay rights a very or extremely important issue. These numbers represent a sea change in societal attitudes in almost a blink of an eye.
I don't think it's necessarily a "pro gay" vote as it is the religious liberties crowd always frames the issues in the worst ways possible.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:13 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
I think our government should protect interests of every part of our society!
Sad that they're now thinking only about one part...
Homosexuals are minority, but they have much more rights than other citizens, i think it's very bad, but what can we do?
Are you serious? They have been fighting for decades to be equal. They're getting closer, but still aren't there yet.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Agreed! But that should not be extended to the point where an entrepreneur is compelled, on threat of financial ruin, to violate the ethical and moral standards within his/her own conscience, whether those values are based upon religion or not.

The recent actions against bridal salons, caterers, etc, by a handful of militants within the LGBT camp are nothing more than a cheap shot intended for monetary gain.
The solution is simple. If it violates your ethical and moral standards to offer your goods and services to the general public, then don't do that. If you do choose to offer your goods and services to the general public, then don't act shocked when the general public shows up to accept your offer.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What is a "Christian Bakery"?
They use real Christians in their baked goods.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
LGBT rights have nothing to do with religious rights, other than the fact that both are basic human rights. Religions and governments can't discriminate against the LGBT community just because they don't agree with their lifestyle, it's their choose and no ones forcing anyone to be gay.
Religion is a choice; no one is forcing anyone to be religious.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:33 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Lets consider something.

We are taught that God made man in his own image. We are taught that God created everything in the world, and we are all Gods children.

If God made man and woman, and made them all perfect, why does he make so many that are not perfect in Christians eyes. Example: A person with a birth defect from mental to physical defect. Are they not a product of God. He also made Gay People, so are they not a product of God.

Some will say that homosexuality is a choice. If that is true, then why are there so many animals that are homosexual? Animals born that way. Yes, anyone raised around ranches as I was, have seen many homosexual animals. Bulls that want nothing to do with cows, but chase other bulls for sex. Same for horses, sheep, goats, and even chickens.

If God only made perfect specimens in the animal world, and humans fall into the animal world, there would be no homosexuals either in human or animal world.

To learn the truth about gay and lesbian orientation go to the American Physiological Association.

http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation.aspx

It is not a choice they make, but something they have no control over.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:49 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets consider something.

We are taught that God made man in his own image. We are taught that God created everything in the world, and we are all Gods children.

If God made man and woman, and made them all perfect, why does he make so many that are not perfect in Christians eyes. Example: A person with a birth defect from mental to physical defect. Are they not a product of God. He also made Gay People, so are they not a product of God.

Some will say that homosexuality is a choice. If that is true, then why are there so many animals that are homosexual? Animals born that way. Yes, anyone raised around ranches as I was, have seen many homosexual animals. Bulls that want nothing to do with cows, but chase other bulls for sex. Same for horses, sheep, goats, and even chickens.

If God only made perfect specimens in the animal world, and humans fall into the animal world, there would be no homosexuals either in human or animal world.

To learn the truth about gay and lesbian orientation go to the American Physiological Association.

http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation.aspx

It is not a choice they make, but something they have no control over.
Here is a touching story of Jumbs and Kermit two Gay Humboldt penguins that hatched an egg and are raising a chick.

Gay penguins in Kent zoo are 'the best parents' - BBC News

Old 05-09-2015, 08:21 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Here is a touching story of Jumbs and Kermit two Gay Humboldt penguins that hatched an egg and are raising a chick.

Gay penguins in Kent zoo are 'the best parents' - BBC News
What an awesome, funny story! I definitely believe being gay is something you're born as and not a lifestyle choose (who on earth would choose to make their life so much more difficult than it is already?)
I knew there were primates who engaged in homosexual behavior but had no idea it extended to other animals like penguins, or that they actually paired up as mates for life...I assumed it would only extend to the physical, but these 2 really want nothing to do with females, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.