Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 03:23 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Seriously?

Mandinka, Yoruba, Hausa, Ashanti, etc. are linked to Islam. In Brazil, there are writings of the Muslim slaves.

In most places, they were forbidden from building mosques although some were built in Salvador, Brazil. The Europeans recorded the practices of the Muslim slaves and spoke about their literacy and education.
I said, "America!" Not Brazil......Native Indians as in Cherokee, Apache, Nez Perce, Sioux or Seminole....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:26 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
That's all very well, but Americans are quite happy to buy iPhones built by slave laborers aren't they. Apple iPhone factory workers imprisoned in virtual slavery

If you want to get on your high horse and complain about modern day slavery, stop buying products made in countries where slave labor is endemic. Otherwise you're just being a hypocrite.
If Americans did this......there would be no Christmas presents for the children. We have gone so far to helping others, we are forgetting our own identity.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:46 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Wow this conversation took quite a few turns lol...

Some things to note... When the Prophet (saw) came with the message to 7th Century Arabia, slavery was a deeply rooted institution both in the Middle East and the world at large. Unlike later European slavery, the slavery found in Arabia was not specifically race-based...one could become a slave via their tribe losing a war, indebtedness, etc... At the time there was nearly no way that a slave living under a pagan Arab could gain his freedom, and further the slave had *no* rights, not even to worship his own God. The message of the Prophet (saw) brought about three injunctions, #1. Giving slaves basic rights to property & religion. #2. Giving slaves many ways unto which they may gain their freedom. #3. Giving the slave owner many incentives to free a slave. For a discussion and commentary on this issue, please see here... Islam and slavery - islamqa.info (I've intentionally quoted a commentary by a scholar who is *very* conservative and *very* unapologetic). Now whether or not Muslims followed Islamic teaching regarding slaves and slavery? That's up for historical analysis, I imagine like all things, some did, some didn't.

On the other issue of America and Muslims...America has helped our people out a *LOT* throughout the years. We can't ignore that they saved our people from genocide in Kosovo & Bosnia, and helped us purge the evil that was Communism from Afghanistan. Unfortunately the latter incident spurred on a group which murdered all of the legitimate Islamists in the country because of their opposition to terrorism against civilians. (Notably Abdullah Azzam)

Old 05-11-2015, 03:48 PM

171 posts, read 180,980 times
No Muslims should be allowed to come into the USA and the ones here should be encouraged to go to their home countries. This is from the Quran, Surah 8:12-14.....When Allah inspired the angels, "I am with you, so make the Muslims strong; I will put terror in the hearts of non-Muslims." So cut off their necks and cut off every fingertip. Do that because they opposed Allah and His Apostle. And Allah is intent on punishing anyone who opposes Him and His Apostle. Radical Islam must be removed from the face of the earth.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:59 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
No Muslims should be allowed to come into the USA and the ones here should be encouraged to go to their home countries. This is from the Quran, Surah 8:12-14.....When Allah inspired the angels, "I am with you, so make the Muslims strong; I will put terror in the hearts of non-Muslims." So cut off their necks and cut off every fingertip. Do that because they opposed Allah and His Apostle. And Allah is intent on punishing anyone who opposes Him and His Apostle. Radical Islam must be removed from the face of the earth.
Mr. John, please let's not cherry-pick verses and let's also quote from authentic sources and provide more context... Surat Al-Anfal (Chapter of the spoils of War) 8:9-15:

"[Remember] when you asked help of your Lord, and He answered you, "Indeed, I will reinforce you with a thousand from the angels, following one another."

And Allah made it not but good tidings and so that your hearts would be assured thereby. And victory is not but from Allah . Indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

[Remember] when He overwhelmed you with drowsiness [giving] security from Him and sent down upon you from the sky, rain by which to purify you and remove from you the evil [suggestions] of Satan and to make steadfast your hearts and plant firmly thereby your feet.

[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

That is because they opposed Allah and His Messenger. And whoever opposes Allah and His Messenger - indeed, Allah is severe in penalty.

"That [is yours], so taste it." And indeed for the disbelievers is the punishment of the Fire.

O you who have believed, when you meet those who disbelieve advancing [for battle], do not turn to them your backs [in flight]." Quran (8:9-15, english translation)

The verse, and the chapter as a whole is speaking in the context of a battle, confronting an enemy and what will happen during said battle/war. Allah (swt) is reminding the Muslim combatants that he sent Angels for them in previous battles. It was also a reminder to the Muslim army at that time that God is with them, and that God will protect them. There is also an injunction and command to not flee or turn their backs in battle. This verse has nothing to do with how a Muslim living in NYC or DC or LA should conduct himself with civilian non-believers.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:10 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
This verse has nothing to do with how a Muslim living in NYC or DC or LA should conduct himself with civilian non-believers.
Nor does is have anything to with how Muslims living across American conduct themselves with non-believers.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:20 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
No Muslims should be allowed to come into the USA and the ones here should be encouraged to go to their home countries.
For many here, this is their home country.

Quote:
This is from the Quran, Surah 8:12-14.....When Allah inspired the angels, "I am with you, so make the Muslims strong; I will put terror in the hearts of non-Muslims." So cut off their necks and cut off every fingertip. Do that because they opposed Allah and His Apostle. And Allah is intent on punishing anyone who opposes Him and His Apostle. Radical Islam must be removed from the face of the earth.
“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household.”

Matthew 10: 34-36

Old 05-11-2015, 05:27 PM

31,004 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Except that you haven't proven your point. Not only have you not proven your point, you fact you haven't even provided a single fact to support it.

You first argued that Islam didn't exist in sub-Saharan Africa, I demonstrated that to be patently false so let's move on to the presence of Muslim slaves in the United States.

First we have the 1831 autobiography by Omar ibn Said a Muslim slave born and raised in Senegal, captured in 1807 and enslaved in South Carolina.

Saudi Aramco World : The Life of Omar ibn Said

Another Senegalese Muslim Ayuba Suleiman Diallo who was captured in Senegal and sold into slavery in Maryland.

http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/...xt5/diallo.pdf

Allan D. Austin goes even further documenting the lives of 80 Muslim slave in American first published in African Muslims in Antebellum America: Transatlantic Stories and Spiritual Struggles., 1997 (ISBN-13: 978-0415912709) that contains original source material and has been vetted for almost 20 years.

So who are we to believe. The scholarly work of Allan Austin, and the National Humanities Center or you?
Good reading.

"IN February 1730 JOB’s Father,
hearing of an English Ship at
Gambia River, sent him with two
Servants to attend him to sell two Negroes and to buy
Paper and some other Necessaries"

A Muslim Slaver who was on his way to sell slaves was captured and enslaved. Sounds like he got his Just desert. Unfortunately it was only for 2 years.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:48 PM

31,004 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
For many here, this is their home country.

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household.”

Matthew 10: 34-36
"For many here, this is their home country."
Absolutely. The problem is identifying Radical Muslims, their supporters, and those who break our laws because their Religion tells them their laws supersede ours. The easy ones are the ones such as the Terrorist who were killed in Texas. Their supporters and sympathizers are another story.

ISIS Terrorists Worshiped At Radical Muslim Brotherhood Mosque - Investors.com

Old 05-11-2015, 07:54 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I said, "America!" Not Brazil......Native Indians as in Cherokee, Apache, Nez Perce, Sioux or Seminole....
America does NOT simply include the USA. That why the country's name is the United States OF America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies