Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Pistol? Shotgun? Rifle? Single shot? Semi-Auto? Full-Auto? Howitzer? RPG?

Or does it mean anything needed to defend yourself? Even if it is just your fists and feet??
A knife? Club? Bat? Hatchet? Shove? Pitchfork? Rolling Pin?

Who gets to define what I can use to defend my and my families well being?? From dangerous predator animals, other individuals with intent to harm or steal, or my overbearing tyrannical government, that comes after me because I will not abide by the oppressed freedoms, liberty and gold they wish to take from me.

My creator, gave me the ability to protect myself. Only government made of men, can take that ability away, so I can no longer effectively protect myself from that very government, much less the predators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
2nd amendment covers all "arms" not just firearms.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
2nd amendment covers all "arms" not just firearms.

I'm sure some don't feel the same as we do about it.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
"Well Armed" doesn't specify musket, knife, bow or raygun, it just means, The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Considering that the 2nd was written in regards to allowing citizens to protect themselves against a government, I don't think they were considering any limits. Their intent appears to be that citizens should be able to challenge government in a battle if need arises. They were doing the exact same at the time.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who gets to define what I can use to defend my and my families well being?? From dangerous predator animals, other individuals with intent to harm or steal, or my overbearing tyrannical government, that comes after me because I will not abide by the oppressed freedoms, liberty and gold they wish to take from me.

My creator, gave me the ability to protect myself. Only government made of men, can take that ability away, so I can no longer effectively protect myself from that very government, much less the predators.
Something a lot of gun-grabbers disregard is that 1 in 5 Americans live in rural areas which do not have police and animal control within reasonable distance.

Imagine you live in an area where police response time is 45 minutes and someone is breaking into your house. Without a firearm, you're completely at this criminal's mercy.

What about those who live in areas that are threatened by dangerous wild animals? With no services available to help you, you must defend your home and family yourself. Last night, a mountain lion was killed within Omaha city limits -- luckily they had police who could quickly come to take care of the situation. Most people who live in rural areas don't have that luxury and need a firearm to protect themselves if a dangerous animal wanders onto your property.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:27 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Considering that the 2nd was written in regards to allowing citizens to protect themselves against a government, I don't think they were considering any limits. Their intent appears to be that citizens should be able to challenge government in a battle if need arises. They were doing the exact same at the time.
They had the foresight to understand that. There might be a need in the future for the people to overthrow a tyrannical government, so the framers made that an option for us. Some people want to throw away that right for an artificial sense of security. Because people willing to murder don't want to break the law in order to acquire an illegal weapon? Yeah, making things illegal stops people from getting their hands those things. High school kids can get pot easier than they can get booze.

The first thing a dictator does is ban guns to remove the threat of an uprising. We're doing it to ourselves through paranoia of mass shootings that happen so infrequently they're statistically insignificant. Whenever a lunatic opens fire (ironically in a gun-free zone), the media whips us into a frenzy about how guns are the problem (not the unhinged people who are usually on/off medications) and need to be banned.

We're easily manipulated by hysterics and willfully disregard common sense and statistics when it comes to guns. A sliver of murders are carried out by the guns that Liberals want to regulate, while the vast majority of murders are from handguns, not scary black "assault weapons". People know we're easily manipulated, which is why anti-gun groups exploit every mass shooting to try to get guns banned or regulated. We act on emotion, rather than logic, and we're going to surrender our rights because too many of us are so easily played.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:33 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Of course, some argue that the Second was written (and ratified in December 1791) in regards to allowing citizens to protect themselves against the British government. True, the war of independence had ended in 1783, but danger still lurked (as witnessed by the subsequent War of 1812).

Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Of course, some argue that the Second was written (and ratified in December 1791) in regards to allowing citizens to protect themselves against the British government. True, the war of independence had ended in 1783, but danger still lurked (as witnessed by the subsequent War of 1812).

Going through all the proceedings before the constitution was composed, there was more to it then that.
They knew the nature of man, to enslave another, for their own benefit.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:56 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Not against the British government, but against any government, including, and especially, our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies