Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,131,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
haha In all fairness though, this business owner is pretty clever.

In 2060, non-Hispanic white will be minority in America, Can you imagine 100% white folks finally get their white history month only when these folks become the minority?

One professor said in college that cultural awareness only becomes central or important when we have to interact with people from other cultures. It makes a lot of sense.
It may backfire depending on where he lives though. Certain whites will patronize his establishment for a bit. But this may turn away others of all backgrounds...

The professor's comment does make sense...familiarity has much to do with it as well which is understandable.

I say give the whiners their white history month now. Maybe then they will stop complaining.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:06 AM

39,023 posts, read 27,418,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
It may backfire depending on where he lives though. Certainly whites will patronize his establishment for a bit. But this may turn away others of all backgrounds...

The professor's comment does make sense...familiarity has much to do with it as well which is understandable.

I say give the whiners their white history month now. Maybe then they will stop complaining.
I can only talk about what I know. I have many white friends, 100% white, not mixed. They don't share the exact same cultures at all.

For example, I know a guy who is French Italian American, he taught me a lot about Italian culture and heritage.

One best friend of mine came from Ohio, he taught me a lot about Ohio. The other one came from Oklahoma (where I was born), he took me to visit Oklahoma once, I fell in love with his whole family. His last name is Wyble, but he honestly just views himself as an American guy. Wyble I believe is a German last name.

I have an Indian person argued with me once because she said Indians are white. I let it go. Hey, if it works out for you, it works out for you. I don't care either way.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
German and Irish are not races...fail once again.
Neither is the LGBT community.

It's you that's completely clueless.

The appreciation months are a celebration of one's particular culture, heritage and accomplishments, especially ones that have been discriminated against, marginalized and ostracized.

At the end of the day, it's similar to a baby who doesn't want a toy anymore, until s/he sees someone else playing with it, and then throws a fit that they can't have the toy.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I can only talk about what I know. I have many white friends, 100% white, not mixed. They don't share the exact same cultures at all.

For example, I know a guy who is French Italian American, he taught me a lot about Italian culture and heritage.

One best friend of mine came from Ohio, he taught me a lot about Ohio. The other one came from Oklahoma (where I was born), he took me to visit Oklahoma once, I fell in love with his whole family. His last name is Wyble, but he honestly just views himself as an American guy. Wyble I believe is a German last name.

I have an Indian person argued with me once because she said Indians are white. I let it go. Hey, if it works out for you, it works out for you. I don't care either way.

Completely agree. The countries in Europe are all culturally unique, so their descendants in the states will be as well. I have a Polish-American friend whose family settled among their own generations ago. They are still distinct. Her accent alone is very different.

Italian-Americans have maintained their distinction aND made a very visible impact on American culture.

Not surprised at the opinion of the Indian. Some would agree due to the whole Caucasian ideology. My father is of Indian descent, and he would laugh at that one. But then, everyone is different. India is very diverse anyway...

Old 05-12-2015, 01:33 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,870,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Everryday is White appreciation day. The town is named after a White person, the money they accept has White persins face on it, the states name is from the language of the white conquerors who stole this land, heck even the owners last name is from White mans name.fromn a country that enslaved non white people ans comitted genocide is multiple natiions. The organizers complained that there was Hispanic day not realizing Hispanic is not a race, idiots

Pffft
Pffft

Old 05-12-2015, 09:11 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,762,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
There is a BLACK History Month (basically for African-Americans) because their ethnic/cultural affiliations were literally beaten out of their ancestors.
The Hutus literally slashed the ethnic/cultural affiliations out of the Tutsis of Rwanda in 1994. I seem to recall picturing in my mind a bunch of people running around with machetes and wearing tutus. Anyways, black people have been destroying ethnic/cultural affiliations amongst themselves for hundreds of years.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Up until yesterday, you didn't even know there were appreciation months for Germans, Irish, etc.
You do understand the difference between an ethnicity and a race, don't you?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You're just complaining because blacks and the LGBT community have their months.
No, I am not complaining about any existing appreciation month. I do want to know why anyone who asks for white people to be appreciated is attacked and called names. Why is it that you don't want the white race to have a month to celebrate their culture and contributions?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 PM

There is a Women's History month, but no Men's History month.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
The Hutus literally slashed the ethnic/cultural affiliations out of the Tutsis of Rwanda in 1994. I seem to recall picturing in my mind a bunch of people running around with machetes and wearing tutus. Anyways, black people have been destroying ethnic/cultural affiliations amongst themselves for hundreds of years.
Not remotely comparable. Tutsis and Hutus both exist today IN Rwanda. Neither of their cultural affiliations have been destroyed and their ethnic names and cultural practices are present. You dont see "black" on their census. Nice try though.

Since the ancestors of AAs had their cultural affiliations beat out of them, along with their names and religions...and a color label (black) was forced on people who came from over 45 different ethnic groups, that's why there is a BLACK history month.

Like I said, there is a BLACK History Month (basically for African-Americans) because their ethnic/cultural affiliations were literally beaten out of their ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies