Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 09:49 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I know a lot of people who could benefit for having god in their lives ... most young Americans appear hyper focused on jz and beyonce over personal introspection and enlightenment
I don't think people need to have God brought into their lives from the White House

Old 05-09-2015, 09:52 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
The media is the one obsessed with gays and lesbians.

I've taken a few seminary classes, so this doesn't make me an expert. But there's many Jew and Christian scripture experts that say same-sex attraction was never an issue in Biblical times. What was an issue was male-female adultery and anal-penetration of any kind. Even the Greeks, which are held up as an enlightened culture, adored homosexuality, but anal penetration was worthy of death. Married men in Greek culture routinely had a young male lover. This Greek male-male love was not specifically called out in Hebrew and Aramaic scriptures, which seems bizarre. In fact, there are instances where Jesus appears to approve (Roman Centurions by definition cannot be married, but Jesus healed his 'son' which was a term for his life partner).

Now a days, many people assume gay men always do anal sex, almost exclusively. But some I understand would absolutely not do anything regarding anal penetration. The scriptures are quite clear about that subject, but most Christian leaders assume that is the only way homosexual men can interact sexually.

Lesbian acts are not forbidden by scripture. Polygamy is not forbidden by scripture, (it says its not best, but it isn't forbidden) but if a man marries two or more wives, somehow he is a depraved maniac. In our societies need to conform ourselves, we've taken liberties with some definitions. Queens Elizabeth and Victoria were some of the worst homosexual haters, as anti-sodomy laws were enacted to classify nearly any sexual act outside marriage as sodomy and indecent.

I have known some gays and lesbians and they are some of the finest most brilliant minds and typically have a myriad of talents. The Lord has something special in mind for these people.

Christians with homosexual attractions do exist and its not a contradiction. Christian haters need to move on to something else that they know about, rather than just be ignorant about spiritual matters.
fascinating and that's pretty darned close to what an Anthropology Professor told me, thanks for sharing

Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
The media is the one obsessed with gays and lesbians.

I've taken a few seminary classes, so this doesn't make me an expert. But there's many Jew and Christian scripture experts that say same-sex attraction was never an issue in Biblical times. What was an issue was male-female adultery and anal-penetration of any kind. Even the Greeks, which are held up as an enlightened culture, adored homosexuality, but anal penetration was worthy of death. Married men in Greek culture routinely had a young male lover. This Greek male-male love was not specifically called out in Hebrew and Aramaic scriptures, which seems bizarre. In fact, there are instances where Jesus appears to approve (Roman Centurions by definition cannot be married, but Jesus healed his 'son' which was a term for his life partner).

Now a days, many people assume gay men always do anal sex, almost exclusively. But some I understand would absolutely not do anything regarding anal penetration. The scriptures are quite clear about that subject, but most Christian leaders assume that is the only way homosexual men can interact sexually.

Lesbian acts are not forbidden by scripture. Polygamy is not forbidden by scripture, (it says its not best, but it isn't forbidden) but if a man marries two or more wives, somehow he is a depraved maniac. In our societies need to conform ourselves, we've taken liberties with some definitions. Queens Elizabeth and Victoria were some of the worst homosexual haters, as anti-sodomy laws were enacted to classify nearly any sexual act outside marriage as sodomy and indecent.

I have known some gays and lesbians and they are some of the finest most brilliant minds and typically have a myriad of talents. The Lord has something special in mind for these people.

Christians with homosexual attractions do exist and its not a contradiction. Christian haters need to move on to something else that they know about, rather than just be ignorant about spiritual matters.
Any ideas about the origins regarding the historical fixation on opposing anal penetration do historical documents shed any light on it?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:06 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Any ideas about the origins regarding the historical fixation on opposing anal penetration do historical documents shed any light on it?
Google is your friend. Ancient Greek society wouldn't put up with anal penetration of any kind. Men who did that would lose their place in society or worse.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:09 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
None of the above. We need a capable someone who isn't immersed in their own agenda.
I'm heterosexual. It's not an agenda, it's an orientation. Being Gay is the same thing. I'd say more heterosexual people have the "agenda" of converting Gays to a "heterosexual lifestyle".

Sexuality is not a "life style choice".

Old 05-09-2015, 10:14 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Google is your friend. Ancient Greek society wouldn't put up with anal penetration of any kind. Men who did that would lose their place in society or worse.
Lol, you are sorely mistaken, there is a reason they call it "greek", while it might have been slightly looked down upon, it was comical the the ancient greeks. It even made it onto their artwork and pottery.

Spoiler

Anal sex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A male citizen taking the passive (or receptive) role in anal intercourse was condemned in Rome as an act of impudicitia (immodesty or unchastity); free men, however, frequently took the active role with a young male slave, known as a catamite or puer delicatus. The latter was allowed because anal intercourse was considered equivalent to vaginal intercourse in this way; men were said to "take it like a woman" (muliebria pati, "to undergo womanly things") when they were anally penetrated, but when a man performed anal sex on a woman, she was thought of as playing the boy's role

History of Sex: Ancient Greece

Male Homosexuality

Even though male homosexuality was common in Ancient Greece, it was censored in their artwork to an
extent. In literature, it is called "love of a man for a man." In paintings, the homosexual men are
depicted clothed together, except for homosexual prostitutes who are depicted naked.

When homosexual men wrote about their love for other men the most loved boys were usually age 12-14.
Some homosexual men wouldn't even try to have sex with a boy over the age of 17.

The truth about sexuality in ancient Greece and Rome | Gay Star News

Old 05-09-2015, 10:15 PM
AFP

Quote:
I knew that already regarding ancient Greeks however I'm curious where it stems from, it has to have a historical origin it obviously hasn't always been the case otherwise all historical human cultures across the board would have the same taboo.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:19 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I knew that already regarding ancient Greeks however I'm curious where it stems from, it has to have a historical origin it obviously hasn't always been the case otherwise all historical human cultures across the board would have the same taboo.
It's only "gay" if you are receiving. That's the long and short of it.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:20 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
It's only "gay" if you are receiving. That's the long and short of it.
That's what inmates in prison say.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:21 PM

573 posts, read 585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I just want to know: why the hysteria over gays? Christians view other things as sinful, why aren't they up in arms about ills in our society?

I mean look at how our politicians lie and steal, that's a sin. You never see conservative Christians get up in arms about THAT.

OR the divorce rate in America, something Jesus spoke specifically about, and somehow that is up to interpretation.
Probably because they know that there is nothing we can do about corrupt politicians. Politicians have been corrupt as long as humans have had any type of government, and can be found in ALL races/countries/cultures. About divorcing, that too is something they know they can't control. For some reason they think they can still control the gay issue but that again, is something they can't. I embrace treating them as equals, just not as superiors. I don't think gays deserve entitlements more than a straight person. I think they should be viewed as equals. I think what bothers me often times is how we celebrate homosexuality like an accomplishment. Being gay or straight doesn't mean you get a certificate. I just wish everything was 100% equal between sexes, races, and sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies