U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 PM

39,194 posts, read 40,579,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The only variable is the amount of surface area one must use in regards to the average annual sunshine. Most of the United States is more than sunny enough for solar power.
Sorry son but that is not the only variable because now you need storage and vastly increased capacity. If we were to consider a system that could meet demands during ideal day with 8 good hours of sunlight. For the other 16 hours you are going to need to at least double your capacity and have enough storage for it. That's just one day under ideal conditions.

String of bad weather days? How much capacity are you going to add and how much storage? Do you realize the size and cost of such a system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Solar panels provide more than enough energy? For what? 1/2 a typical home? 1/4 of a typical home? That's "more than enough" for you??? .
I once calculated this(electric, heat etc.) a few years ago for a 2000 sq. ft. home in the northeast using solar industry numbers. Excluding the cost of storage I came with something like $250K just for the panels.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:18 PM

20,586 posts, read 8,765,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Are you sure?

I'd be betting they just got the money upfront from inflated prices of LED lights.

They've been on the market for years with little price easing.

I like them over CFL's but $24 for a 60 watt bulb? I scour retail stores for the marked down bargains because no wholesalers will give them up - they like the markup returns.
I am positive. Costco has them on sale all the time so we stock up. Do you have a Costco in your area.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

There's a reason power companies in Oklahoma are lobbying to put an extra tax on solar users. They are powering their own homes and having negative power bills.
BS, you can avoid this fee by not connecting to the grid and providing your own storage. If you want to avoid the very high costs of paying for your own storage and connect to the grid there is costs involved with that infrastructure and you have to pay for them.

Secondly the utility should not have to pay you anymore for excess generation than what they are paying wholesale from other producers. That's substantially less than retail rates.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,034,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Another example is toilet paper. When I was growing up folding the toilet paper twice gave me a clean rectum and clean fingers. Now four-folding gives neither. It is disgusting but too much information for now. I suspect the same reasoning applies.
Buy decent toilet paper. If you are using it to clean your rectum, then that is your problem. Ya might want to clean just a little lower than that....

Old 05-11-2015, 12:41 AM

10,218 posts, read 6,774,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL... and if the other half are still getting their heating from coal? You don't seem to understand. Imagine an area like New York and the suburbs where every other residence was heating with wood. That's about the equivalent when heating with soft coal.

Ever hear the term London fog?
Did you not read the article I posted?

London fog refers to both smog and actual fog.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 AM

10,218 posts, read 6,774,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
You could be self-sufficient when land was cheap and settlement was actively promoted by the government via the homestead acts. But only if you managed to beat the capitalists to the punch-- hoarding resources was an inexplicably more popular scenario than that of honest pioneers trying to live in harmony with nature. And then there's the fact that the land was stolen in the first place, which tended to mean conflicts with the Natives (nothing a few short but brutal wars couldn't handle, of course... but that's only if you managed to convince the government your life was worth fighting for, or I suppose if you were good at killing Natives). So you can probably see why the little people ended up in the cities where they didn't have to worry about being attacked or attempt to buy water from the local rich capitalist.

But they're not giving away 160 acre parcels of land anymore... the land is too valuable now with all the infrastructure and irrigation and highways and such.

The idea that America wasn't shaped by wealthy capitalists is largely a myth. Of course, as with any free-for-all people got lucky but it wasn't some honorable thing where everyone was given a chance to fulfill their dreams as long as they were willing to work hard. That was a marketing tool.
Oh I agree. My point was that as society changes, you have to adapt. Some folks are still clinging to the ideals of an America, more of an era in human history, where much of our efforts revolved around feeding and housing ourselves.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:29 AM

1,245 posts, read 754,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
BS, you can avoid this fee by not connecting to the grid and providing your own storage. If you want to avoid the very high costs of paying for your own storage and connect to the grid there is costs involved with that infrastructure and you have to pay for them.

Secondly the utility should not have to pay you anymore for excess generation than what they are paying wholesale from other producers. That's substantially less than retail rates.
You know whats funny, that person Opin_Yunated thinks they know everything ( a simple search at a website that is selling solar panels will say what the cell efficiency is ), but doesn't know that there is a solar setup called "Grid-tie" which uses higher voltage solar panels and needs a grid-tie inverter to put out power back into the grid, no batteries are necessary in a grid-tie setup.
One can get a micro grid tie inverter for 139 on altestore Or one can go bigger and get the fullsize grid tie inverter for 1245 efficeny is 93%Yes I am a right winger but that doesn't mean that I don't know anything about solar systems. As I see it solar panels are a hedge against carbon taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or