U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 03:14 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,768,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Whites SHOULD feel guilty! Not all of us were involved, but our ancestors were sick, twisted people. The truth hurts!
Nope. Mine were still in Europe. And not ANY of us here were involved, (although some peeps are "sick and twisted" for other reasons.)

Harping on slavery alienates people like me who are sympathetic to the *current* plight of blacks but refuse to apologize "on behalf of my people" for slavery.

Your thinking is about as useful as those who lament that the south should have won the civil war.

(PS-
I noticed that you conveniently forgot to mention that the founder fathers were sexist as well as racist. I guess #BlackLivesMatter but women's don't.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 03:37 AM

20,611 posts, read 13,024,310 times
Quote:
In a heartbeat I would undo the "discovery" of the so-called "New World" (that name itself makes me vomit) by Columbus, and the ensuing slaughter of Native Americans (to call them "Indians" is an insult, although some of them prefer that term) and destruction of their habitats and culture by Europeans. Yes, I realize if I "undid" this, I wouldn't be here today, nor would the culture that I identify with.

I also am disgusted that Americans boast of "liberty" and "freedom" that they DO NOT have and NEVER DID have. Americans from all walks of life, both liberal and conservative, talk about how they have a "Constitutional right" to do this, or a "Constitutional right" to do that... this is all in their imaginations, and every American except me seems to have some ridiculous fantasy about what the Constitution says, using the very word "Constitution" in a sentence when trying to persuade anyone to accept a political point.

Here's what the Constitution actually is: a document written by SLAVEOWNERS (yes, they were white supremacists, and "all men are created equal" did NOT apply to non-white races in the view of these slaveowners). Also, the right-wing religious folks who insist the "Founding Fathers" (again, they were glorified slaveowners) envisioned America as a "Christian nation" are just plain mistaken, or even worse, are trying to rewrite historical facts. Most of the Founding Fathers were Deists, who believed a "creator" existed, but believed the same "creator" had no vision for the future of humanity. And guess what... Deism is now an almost entirely extinct religion because basic science eventually led Deists to become either atheists or agnostics. Why we in this country still adhere to an intellectual document written by people of an extinct religion and culture that NO (okay maybe two or three folks out in North Dakota somewhere) Americans today believe in is beyond me.

I'm not necessarily trying to destroy any American's fantasy about their country's history (in fact, Mormonism is a religion based on the notion that God directly had a hand in leading whites to eventually conquer the Americas), but I wish people inspired by the ACLU and other activist groups would stop b*tching about "The Constitution". People love to put words in the mouths of the Founding Fathers and are crying because maybe white police officers were disrespectful to an African American (which I'm sure does indeed happen, and it saddens me) but nothing in the Constitution should make us be surprised about that. And no, the Constitution doesn't entitle people to UNLIMITED gun rights, unlike the baloney and mumbo jumbo preached by the NRA. And these are just two examples of delusions held by both conservatives and liberals alike.
Uh; the American Indians cane in several waves over the years and, word is most of the "full bloods" ARE part "white" going by their DNA. Too; does it really matter in 2015? I'm 100 percent sure had things gone a different way in history, the AI's would've taken over Europe and Asia. It is what it is.

Understanding Genetics

Old 05-10-2015, 03:41 AM

20,611 posts, read 13,024,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yikes, why is everyone so riled up about this. The op is right. We slaughtered native americans and those we didn't were put in their place.....reservations.
The AI's had THEIR share of nasty wars too but; like what the Aztecs did to weaker tribes before 1492, people seem to "forget" that. IF we're gonna play this blame game: how about punishing those people in 2015 who are of Aztec family.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:05 AM

17,028 posts, read 9,566,784 times
Might want to take a pair of these with you on your time journey;

Old 05-10-2015, 04:20 AM

13,889 posts, read 12,655,712 times
Does the OP know that:
  • Before Europeans came to america, Native Americans were slaughtering each other?
  • Before slavery existed in Europe & America, it was endemic in Africa?
  • Before humans became civilized, they were all atheists?

Old 05-10-2015, 05:02 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,751,660 times
Quote:
In a heartbeat I would undo the "discovery" of the so-called "New World" (that name itself makes me vomit) by Columbus, and the ensuing slaughter of Native Americans (to call them "Indians" is an insult, although some of them prefer that term) and destruction of their habitats and culture by Europeans. Yes, I realize if I "undid" this, I wouldn't be here today, nor would the culture that I identify with.

I also am disgusted that Americans boast of "liberty" and "freedom" that they DO NOT have and NEVER DID have. Americans from all walks of life, both liberal and conservative, talk about how they have a "Constitutional right" to do this, or a "Constitutional right" to do that... this is all in their imaginations, and every American except me seems to have some ridiculous fantasy about what the Constitution says, using the very word "Constitution" in a sentence when trying to persuade anyone to accept a political point.

Here's what the Constitution actually is: a document written by SLAVEOWNERS (yes, they were white supremacists, and "all men are created equal" did NOT apply to non-white races in the view of these slaveowners). Also, the right-wing religious folks who insist the "Founding Fathers" (again, they were glorified slaveowners) envisioned America as a "Christian nation" are just plain mistaken, or even worse, are trying to rewrite historical facts. Most of the Founding Fathers were Deists, who believed a "creator" existed, but believed the same "creator" had no vision for the future of humanity. And guess what... Deism is now an almost entirely extinct religion because basic science eventually led Deists to become either atheists or agnostics. Why we in this country still adhere to an intellectual document written by people of an extinct religion and culture that NO (okay maybe two or three folks out in North Dakota somewhere) Americans today believe in is beyond me.

I'm not necessarily trying to destroy any American's fantasy about their country's history (in fact, Mormonism is a religion based on the notion that God directly had a hand in leading whites to eventually conquer the Americas), but I wish people inspired by the ACLU and other activist groups would stop b*tching about "The Constitution". People love to put words in the mouths of the Founding Fathers and are crying because maybe white police officers were disrespectful to an African American (which I'm sure does indeed happen, and it saddens me) but nothing in the Constitution should make us be surprised about that. And no, the Constitution doesn't entitle people to UNLIMITED gun rights, unlike the baloney and mumbo jumbo preached by the NRA. And these are just two examples of delusions held by both conservatives and liberals alike.
Damn a lot of weak sauce there. Reminds me of a feminist professor in college presenting a counter-factual approach to history.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:44 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,574,461 times
i ran into a few white people who have displayed "white guilt" around me (im black) and besides me looking at them sideways i try to find out what they are doing to ease this guilt complex, and guess what nothing...

people who have irrational feelings of white-guilt dont do shht but talk, rant and/or post about

i even told one, "hey, well you can help me out with a few dollars to put on these bills" i have yet to receive any money

didnt al gore or somebody have this hustle going on back in the day where morons were paying money to some entity because they felt guilt about using too much carbon?

i am telling you all, if you want to relieve some pent up guilt, i have a website where you can donate $ that will help out a few black people [no b.s.]

i challenge you people to donate $ today sunday 5-10-2015...see if $10k can be raised today

Old 05-10-2015, 05:47 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,429,563 times
Quote:
As for the hype about "Western civilization" and its unique greatness, the idea that only white Europeans were smart enough to create it is horsesh!t. Japan is what I consider to be the greatest nation on Earth, and its very smart people have the same DNA as Native Americans. What the Japanese did to Americans (and Chinese for that matter) a generation ago is regrettable but was motivated by very deep spiritual convictions that I think overall were a force for justice, not evil. Hong Kong, Taiwan, and South Korea owe a lot of their good fortune to Japan, who has defended all three from Chinese aggression throughout the centuries (but I will admit many Korean women were raped by Japanese forces), though unfortunately China once again owns the once-British colony Hong Kong. Civil unrest lately has made me think either Japan or Russia will help Hong Kong fight China for independence eventually though.
Japan is an absolutely awful example of a 'greatest nation on Earth'. It's a lot easier for a white westerner to sweep their colonial aspirations under the rug, but rest assured there is still all kinds of resentment throughout Asia over what Imperial Japan did to the region. The idea that the Chinese and Koreans were defended by Japan or owe a lot of their good fortune to Japan would NOT go over well in China or Korea. I lived in Korea for years and the mention of Japan was usually met with hostility even from young children. They're not keen on the US occupation either, but at the very least the Americans aren't trying to extinguish their entire culture and replace it with their own, forcing them to speak English, or suppressing their alphabet... well, not anymore, at least.

The Japanese were not at all unlike the Nazis in their cruelty-- there was forced conscription, medical experiments on prisoners (which then bought a pass for the experimenters when the US decided the info was more important than justice), forced prostitution. The only reason they are so peaceful today is because after the war ended they were strictly forbidden from developing their military by the Americans. They owe much of their prosperity to the Korean war, when the US used them as a manufacturing base for bombs and tanks and planes and guns... it kickstarted their entire economy.

I would agree that the US is far from noble and it's dishonest to say that ALL cultures are equally warlike or have colonial aspirations. I don't agree that we should gloss over colonial history and even if our ancestors didn't own slaves outright, they definitely benefited from slave labor in the form of cheap products and services. They also benefitted from the slaughter of the First Nations, even if they didn't directly participate.

Part of living in a civilized society is recognizing how you got there and trying to do the right thing. Guilt doesn't necessarily serve that purpose, but it's better than denial.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:56 AM

11,762 posts, read 8,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yikes, why is everyone so riled up about this. The op is right. We slaughtered native americans and those we didn't were put in their place.....reservations.
No one is riled up but the op and we didn't do anything to the native Americans.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:59 AM

6,193 posts, read 4,572,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i would of went back and pick my own cotton
I would have gone further back and told the first slave buyer not to buy help from someone who would sell his brother into slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or