U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2015, 02:48 AM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 10,403,282 times
Reputation: 4228

Advertisements

Taking Back the Radio started The Movement and not BlackLivesMatter.


That pisses me off to no end. Black people will blindly support something with "black" in it that does nothing, over a Revolutionary project that adds value to the community.


The site that helped blow up the Brown case gets hacked and blackballed while the Soros owned BlackLivesMatter slogan is installed and gets credit for starting 'a movement.' Which is really just a hashtag and a bunch of banners off of a 100k+ a year donation budget.



That's my black rant for the night/morning lol. Opinions??


I like this thread by the way. I love discussions on black culture especially when its done in a positive way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2015, 02:59 AM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 10,403,282 times
Reputation: 4228
Been reading through the thread.


Until we get control of the media and/or media narrative I don't think we have much control over "black culture" outside of what we can do locally and on a grassroots level. But organizing around something positive...



Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 05:40 AM
 
21,581 posts, read 11,635,875 times
Reputation: 12319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Excuuuuse me! Change black culture? That you very much but no thank you.

Black culture produced W.E.B Dubois, John Hope Franklin, Sylvester James Gates, J. Erenest Wilkins and Neal DeGrasse-Tyson.

Black culture produced W.C. Handy, Louis Armstrong, Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Miles Davis and Wynton Marsallis.

Black culture produced Countee Cullen, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Thurston, James Baldwin, Maya Angelou and Toni Morrison.

Black culture produced, Jackie Robinson, Jessie Owens, Bill Russell, Mohammad Ali, Karem Abdul Jabbar, and Magic Johnson.

Black culture produced Josephine Baker, Martha Graham, Alvin Ailey, Judith Jamison and Misty Copeland.

Black culture produced, Thurgood Marshall, Daniel James Jr. Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, and 88 African American men who gave full measure for this country and as a result have been recognized with the nation's highest honor...

Now if you want to do something about the culture of poverty, please be my guess but don't restrict you efforts to young African Americans, there are plenty of white, latino, Asian, and Native America who live in poverty, awash with drugs, violence, dysfunctional families, and myriad of other problems associated with low economic status.

So please leave black culture the buck alone!
Yeah, your culture is awesome. I see it everyday on my way out of the city. I wouldn't let my dog live in those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 05:51 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 18 days ago)
 
48,276 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I simply said ghetto culture is a product of survival in particular conditions or circumstances. Im referring to drug dealing, the underground economy, criminality, etc.

I said nothing about whether it is socially acceptable or conventional to engage in this particular lifestyle or if it improves or advances thier circumstances.

Not only did you fail to grasp my argument on a deeply critical level, but you also jumped to conclusions about an opinion that I did not affirm.

Having said that, there are people who their entire live thier entire lives in the underprivileged areas who don't commit crime, take pride in civic engagement, and lead by example motivating others around them to do better. So certainly not everyone who is a product of such an environment is held to the standards that you expect or accept things as is like the ghetto people you despise so much. THANK YOU.
And that culture often results in a very sad end for the persons who keep dwelling in it. This is about the culture and how counterproductive it is to leading a successful life. You are failing to grasp my point.

And I understand there are people coming from bad areas who are decent people, who do what they can not to get sucked into that culture. I'm aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 05:54 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 18 days ago)
 
48,276 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Reputation: 15366
One thing this thread teaches is this. Alot of people are not interested in the stories of Blacks who have accomplished alot of good things. Not just the famous ones, but the little known ones too. Put up stories about Blacks in hard circumstances actually rising and doing well for themselves, and there are people who treat those stories as "so what, Blacks are still no good". Good news can be found, if you are looking for it. Unfortunately, many people are more interested in complaining about Black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 09:11 AM
 
8,399 posts, read 5,314,284 times
Reputation: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just wanted to put this out there...

Many see the media reports of the Ferguson and Baltimore incidents and go along with the narrative that there is no progress - and that blacks are in the same boat that we have been in since the civil rights days.

I went to a graduation this weekend. My wife's best friend has four sons whom she is raising up on her own (+10 yrs. husband left). The oldest received his BA degree. The second oldest just completed his first year of college. The mom is tireless in her work, support for the kids' activities, church attendance, participation, prayer, etc. with not a lot of income. I don't know how she does it. I am pretty sure the boys are getting scholarship because of the family's low income.

The point is, this is how change occurs - one person at a time... one decision at a time to do the right thing day after day. It's a slow process. The boy that graduated has no personal burdens that will restrict him from getting the experience he needs to advance in his field.

It could be a high school athlete who gets a four year scholarship. The athlete may have no chance of becoming a pro athlete, but he can get a free college education and change his/her family tree for the better for future generations.

So - in this graduation season - if you are a black single parent that has kids that are graduating college - congratulations and thank you - you are THE change of black culture.
The so called black cultural explanation for racial inequities makes no sense to me.


Black Americans are Americans, in fact the average black American can trace their familial ties in America far longer than the vast majority of other Americans including white people.

The vast majority of whom families came well after this nation was founded.

So this idea that black Americans have some distinct culture separate from America is highly unlikely. In other words so called black culture is American culture.


That's the first hurdle that I have never seen cleared in getting from point A to B that black culture is bad and is to blame for racial disparities.

What do people mean by black culture?


The other big hurdle is this, because black Americans are Americans and have only lived in America for a very very long time, meaning black Americans are not foreigners entering America with their own customs, cultural traditions, etc.

This means the only way black Americans can have a different culture in America is if they are treated radically different and isolated from other Americans.

This is the big one, unless a person is saying that culture is some innate racial characteristic, the only way that black Americans can have a so called black culture that is bad and separate from American culture is if they are treated radically different from other Americans and societally isolated.

Which gets back to well how are black Americans treated radically different, which gets to racism, residential segregation, criminal justice discrimination, etc.


This is where the bad black cultural explanation fails.

You cannot blame bad black culture without admitting that black Americans are treated so radically different and live relatively isolated from other Americans that they formed their own destructive bad black culture that is separate from mainstream American culture.


Which still implicates American racism and discrimination against black Americans as the cause.

This is the only manner in which black Americans can have a distinctly "bad black culture" that is separate from America, unless one is going to argue culture is an innate racial characteristic.


Also, the idea that black people don't want their children to do well in school or graduate from college is a false viewpoint that has no basis in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,533 posts, read 15,479,779 times
Reputation: 11425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Taking Back the Radio started The Movement and not BlackLivesMatter.


That pisses me off to no end. Black people will blindly support something with "black" in it that does nothing, over a Revolutionary project that adds value to the community.


The site that helped blow up the Brown case gets hacked and blackballed while the Soros owned BlackLivesMatter slogan is installed and gets credit for starting 'a movement.' Which is really just a hashtag and a bunch of banners off of a 100k+ a year donation budget.



That's my black rant for the night/morning lol. Opinions??


I like this thread by the way. I love discussions on black culture especially when its done in a positive way.
I think you are on point with both of your posts. The Communist groups come in and use the situation for some quasi-recruitment & publicity purposes.

And yes - grassroots is key... along with a more solid family structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,533 posts, read 15,479,779 times
Reputation: 11425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The so called black cultural explanation for racial inequities makes no sense to me.


Black Americans are Americans, in fact the average black American can trace their familial ties in America far longer than the vast majority of other Americans including white people.

The vast majority of whom families came well after this nation was founded.

So this idea that black Americans have some distinct culture separate from America is highly unlikely. In other words so called black culture is American culture.


That's the first hurdle that I have never seen cleared in getting from point A to B that black culture is bad and is to blame for racial disparities.

What do people mean by black culture?


The other big hurdle is this, because black Americans are Americans and have only lived in America for a very very long time, meaning black Americans are not foreigners entering America with their own customs, cultural traditions, etc.

This means the only way black Americans can have a different culture in America is if they are treated radically different and isolated from other Americans.

This is the big one, unless a person is saying that culture is some innate racial characteristic, the only way that black Americans can have a so called black culture that is bad and separate from American culture is if they are treated radically different from other Americans and societally isolated.

Which gets back to well how are black Americans treated radically different, which gets to racism, residential segregation, criminal justice discrimination, etc.


This is where the bad black cultural explanation fails.

You cannot blame bad black culture without admitting that black Americans are treated so radically different and live relatively isolated from other Americans that they formed their own destructive bad black culture that is separate from mainstream American culture.


Which still implicates American racism and discrimination against black Americans as the cause.

This is the only manner in which black Americans can have a distinctly "bad black culture" that is separate from America, unless one is going to argue culture is an innate racial characteristic.


Also, the idea that black people don't want their children to do well in school or graduate from college is a false viewpoint that had no basis in reality.
Black culture was made different than white American culture by the people who brought us here. We didn't get to this country with the same rights and privileges as whites. The manner in rights were made equal came in a different manner than whites. So all of those situations and struggles created a different existence for us than whites. So yes - it is a distinct culture whereas we continue to have to overcome others and ourselves as a group to change for the better where 70% of kids are not born out of wedlock, or that so many males on a percentage basis are locked up.

Also - nobody is saying that anyone wants their kids to bad in school, but life choices makes it so some people don't want to take care of their kids... or people's situations are so needy that they can't think straight... or there are too many kids being parented by an overwhelmed mother who is barely an adult herself with barely any resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 AM
 
3,201 posts, read 3,574,461 times
Reputation: 4408
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I don't care what you want to do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and doesn't cost me money. The problem is having children out of wedlock which may be cool to you but isn't to me. I don't want to pay for your choices and culture.

As a woman, Hillary is running for president and I certainly won't vote for her based on her gender, that would be ridiculous. Blacks should have seen past Obama's skin color instead of voting for him because "he's black". Now they can suffer the embarrassment to this country he turned out to be. If he represents how blacks think that doesn't say much and I was wrong about blacks who I thought wanted the same as whites.
this is why the super-militant black posters, the wcn's, and the white liberal call certain people racists

anybody thats ever read a post i made here knows i am not a fan of obama

your response to my post is rediculous

i'm pointing out a flaw in the OP's thread and trying to let them knoow how it will be perceived

then you post talking about children out of wedlock, obama, hillary etc... and you make *racial* remarks

"I don't want to pay for your choices and culture"

then you make additional comments about blacks


if you dont see how this comes off, then i dont know how else to explain it to you

dont nobody give a flying funk about obama, what the hell does he even have to do with anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 AM
 
3,352 posts, read 2,267,469 times
Reputation: 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I think you are on point with both of your posts. The Communist groups come in and use the situation for some quasi-recruitment & publicity purposes.

And yes - grassroots is key... along with a more solid family structure.
Now days , even White people having kids while unmarried.
Birth Control is needed to focus on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top