U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM

28,292 posts, read 15,361,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Now days , even White people having kids unmarried.
I understand - but not at a 70% rate.

It's not an ideal situation for whomever it occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:48 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,256,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I understand - but not at a 70% rate.

It's not an ideal situation for whomever it occurs.
I know several people who cohabited and works for them.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
making post like this regardless of intent isnt gonna come out right

because it will convert to "changing black people on a whole to something white people can tolerate or find acceptable"

why do you need to "change black culture"?

if someone makes a thread that says "change asian culture" people would be like wtf? you then couldnt go with the response of "oh, oh..i'm talking about this group of asian thugs in the neihborhood"

every individual on earth regardless of race/ethnicity sex whatever is responsible for themselves, how they carry themselves, portray themselves etc

you cant say "black culture" w/o puting the entire black race into whatever thought you are trying to convey
Didn't see this until now...

I didn't specifically mention anything about white people in the OP. The OP was about countering the stereotype in the media of black people through the various riots that have been taking place - by saying as a whole, we are progressing. We are not back in the 60s as the media wants to claim. It was more a message to us saying - we are going to be OK if we continue to do the right things and make solid life decisions - it's just a slow process. Hopefully I don't have to spell out what solid life decisions are

As far as black culture goes - to me, we are all kind of linked together because of the struggles of our ancestors both dead and alive.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:02 AM

8,399 posts, read 5,293,689 times
Quote:
Black culture was made different than white American culture by the people who brought us here. We didn't get to this country with the same rights and privileges as whites. The manner in rights were made equal came in a different manner than whites. So all of those situations and struggles created a different existence for us than whites. So yes - it is a distinct culture whereas we continue to have to overcome others and ourselves as a group to change for the better where 70% of kids are not born out of wedlock, or that so many males on a percentage basis are locked up.

Also - nobody is saying that anyone wants their kids to bad in school, but life choices makes it so some people don't want to take care of their kids... or people's situations are so needy that they can't think straight... or there are too many kids being parented by an overwhelmed mother who is barely an adult herself with barely any resources.
Your explanation makes no sense. If racism is the cause of this culture, then isn't ending racism the fix?

This is where I get lost. How are we overcoming ourselves when you admit this culture that you identify as bad wasn't created by black people? Aren't we overcoming racism?

This is just circular rhetoric to me.

Racist American society in your opinion made black American culture different.

Then that same racist American society would use the resulting bad culture and the bad outcomes of black Americans as proof of our inherent inferiority.

As Americans, we consistently take American social issues like oow births, crime, etc and make them black racial failures.

In other words, we keep repeating the same racist patterns as in the past.

Until America sees black Americans, as having Americans problems not some distinct black racial problem caused by self created issues within the black race and not proof or black racial failure, we will keep having these irrelevant, fake, phony bad black culture is to blame discussions.

Fixing oow birth rates and crime has nothing to do with race or so called black culture. These are Americans social problems that we give a black racial failure label.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Your explanation makes no sense. If racism is the cause of this culture, then isn't ending racism the fix?

This is where I get lost. How are we overcoming ourselves when you admit this culture that you identify as bad wasn't created by black people? Aren't we overcoming racism?

This is just circular rhetoric to me.

Racist American society in your opinion made black American culture different.

Then that same racist American society would use the resulting bad culture and the bad outcomes of black Americans as proof of our inherent inferiority.

As Americans, we consistently take American social issues like oow births, crime, etc and make them black racial failures.

In other words, we keep repeating the same racist patterns as in the past.

Until America sees black Americans, as having Americans problems not some distinct black racial problem caused by self created issues within the black race and not proof or black racial failure, we will keep having these irrelevant, fake, phony bad black culture is to blame discussions.

Fixing oow birth rates and crime has nothing to do with race or so called black culture. These are Americans social problems that we give a black racial failure label.
Ending racism is not the fix - that's not to say I want racism to exist - but in large part, it's up to us and what we do. I am not (in this case) concerned with what others think.

I never said the black culture was bad as a whole. Others said that. But we do have issues that we need to clean up - and I have specifically mention out of wedlock births and the percentage of black men locked up. I don't know why anyone has a problem with desiring change in these areas.

You are throwing out a bunch of stuff I never said and you are misconstruing. I am not even speaking about all of America. I am focusing on an internal black issue.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:49 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 7 days ago)

47,701 posts, read 45,319,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
As member the Black middle class, it feel like I am struck between rock and place.

Sometimes our culture get hate on because of racism .

For example , Empire was getting hate but no one criticizing Dexter which is way worse.

Or when black women decide to go natural hair route but no one get on the other non black women for their hair.

The gangster sub culture is main problem of black american.

Another thing is light skin vs dark skin thing needs to end.

Lastly , We stop hating white people and forgive but not forget.
I can understand what you mean by this.

Personally, I prefer if a woman wears her natural hair instead of weave.

I watched one episode of Empire, and I hated the show. I've never seen Dexter(I'm assuming it isn't the cartoon Dexter's Laboratory).

This is how I see it. Certain things I do because it is for me. I choose not to be a part of the gangster subculture. I consider it to be counterproductive. That said, I can understand that it gets more scrutiny. Interesting thing is this. Certain tenets of the ghetto subculture can be found in redneck culture. The redneck culture gets some hate, but in a different way. People like Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy have made a living basically embracing that culture. It gets laughed at, but it isn't deemed as being representative of all White people. The ghetto subculture, however, gets used and pointed to as representative of Black culture as a whole.

Over all, it is often about the desire to be seen as having variations, instead of being lumped into one box. Certain things within a segment of the population need to be resolved, and for the better. On the other hand, those very issues with receive more scrutiny compared to the same issues in other populations.

And something about colorism. This has been going on for so long it is ridiculous. And it isn't just in the USA. One thing to consider is how race and color have worked in the USA. A person with one drop of Black ancestry is often judged as Black. This doesn't work like that through most of the Western Hemisphere. It often works like that here. Ironically, even within being Black, the lighter one is, the relatively better treatment a person might get. This takes place up to a point. A lighter-skinned Black person might be received better than someone who is darker, at least this is what my father has told me. On the other hand, said person is still considered Black.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The ghetto subculture, however, gets used and pointed to as representative of Black culture as a whole.
Question to you on this point... What are the other black sub-cultures that are well-known? I completely understand that all blacks are not ghetto. I am not ghetto.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 7 days ago)

47,701 posts, read 45,319,460 times
Quote:
Question to you on this point... What are the other black sub-cultures that are well-known? I completely understand that all blacks are not ghetto. I am not ghetto.
I'm not ghetto either. A subculture is just that, a subculture. There is more to Black culture than the ghetto culture. There are so many other examples to point to. Jazz is part of Black culture. Gospel music is part of it too. Famous writers, intellectuals, and inventors. You have the culture of the Black middle class as well. There is more to Black culture than the ghetto. In fact, it has been mentioned through this thread.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:14 AM

8,399 posts, read 5,293,689 times
Quote:
Ending racism is not the fix - that's not to say I want racism to exist - but in large part, it's up to us and what we do. I am not (in this case) concerned with what others think.

I never said the black culture was bad as a whole. Others said that. But we do have issues that we need to clean up - and I have specifically mention out of wedlock births and the percentage of black men locked up. I don't know why anyone has a problem with desiring change in these areas.

You are throwing out a bunch of stuff I never said and you are misconstruing. I am not even speaking about all of America. I am focusing on an internal black issue.
Ending racism is the fix.

Racism isn't what others think.

No a race cannot have collective issues. This is racist thinking.

In fact, the idea that the black race has internal black racial failings is the core of racist thinking that has a long tradition in American society.

It's not a source of empowerment, it's acceptance of black inferiority.

No the only collective problem black Americans have is American racism.

Anything else is just Black Americans having American social problems.

I don't see why you'd accept the thinking that black people don't have American social problems, but instead have internal collective black racial failings that are driven by problems within the black race.

You have mentioned oow births and the criminal justice system, explain to me how those aren't American social problems?

Why do you see those issues as indicative of internal collective black racial failing?

I reject the idea that there are any internal black racial problems. This viewpoint is racist and Has been embraced by racists.

I have encountered many, many people who insist that American social problems are really the result of internal collective black racial failings and I have yet to hear an explanation for that thinking that wasn't racist.

Maybe you'll be different.

Last edited by Iamme73; 05-13-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM

19,930 posts, read 11,072,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Unfortunately, hood rat culture is held up as the "true" Black culture. Hood rat culture is underclass culture.
That started happening in the early 70s. There was somewhat of a "golden age of black media presentation" during the 60s with the "magic negro" movies and television depictions (I'm not hating--I admired them at the time as did everyone else) the very few times blacks were depicted.

But in the 70s, Hollywood turned to what is now called "hood rat" and "thug culture" as the presentation of blacks to America.

In the sixties we had Greg Morris playing the electronics wizard on the Mission Impossible team. In the 70s we had Antonio Fargas playing a pimp/snitch on Starsky and Hutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies