U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,339 posts, read 11,558,074 times
Reputation: 4319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What I focused on is... the media narrative of Ferguson and Baltimore about things being the same for the black culture since the civil rights days.
That argument is wrapped in hyperbole( not what you are saying but the people claiming nothing has changed). Of course things have changed, but that doesnt mean it isnt still bad for some.

Quote:
I am just taking note of a positive where this young man I know who came out of a low income family has graduated college and has a great opportunity to change his family for the better. I am taking note that despite the events that are splashed in our faces on a daily basis, things are improving for blacks around the country... especially in low income single parent households where the odds are stacked against them.
I didnt come from a single family home, but I indeed grew up in what you would call black culture, and I was always encouraged to get a college education as a child.

Quote:
I don't get the "condescending" angle - and honestly I don't want to.
What you said was condescending by the definition of the word. You seem to be making the same argument as the other poster which is that something being true( in your mind) means it is not condescending.

Something being condescending or not has nothing to do with it being true or false.


Quote:
Regarding the underlined... I am talking media narrative and how they portray the black culture.

I agree with the underlined above and I am shining a light on it.
Again, growing up in what you likely defined as black culture, i would have to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,339 posts, read 11,558,074 times
Reputation: 4319
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I don't care what you want to do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and doesn't cost me money. The problem is having children out of wedlock which may be cool to you but isn't to me. I don't want to pay for your choices and culture.

As a woman, Hillary is running for president and I certainly won't vote for her based on her gender, that would be ridiculous. Blacks should have seen past Obama's skin color instead of voting for him because "he's black". Now they can suffer the embarrassment to this country he turned out to be. If he represents how blacks think that doesn't say much and I was wrong about blacks who I thought wanted the same as whites.
Black People voted for President Obama for the same reason they voted for the last 20 Democratic party nominees (1928 to President) because they believe in their policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,518 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
The first thing you need to do is drop the word culture from this conversation.

The second thing is you need to is refine your argument because I haven't heard a single news report, expect maybe FauxNews which I don't watch, that has made a reference to culture, black or otherwise.

What I have heard, and largely agree with, is that certain conditions in the black community have not change since the 1960's, namely the disconnect between the police and the community that they work in. The same sparks that kicked off the Long Hot Summer of 1967 are the same sparks that kicked off protest in Ferguson and Baltimore fed up anger over police abuse.

That doesn't mean that Michael Brown, or Freddie Gray were exemplary members of those communities and it didn't matter if in those cases the police were right or wrong, for the community, it was one death too damned many. Had these been isolated cases of perceived police abuse, nobody would have said or done much of anything. That issue hasn't changed and the media is right on the money by reporting that.
My OP was not that difficult - you just said it yourself above. I would have made it better if I used the word "community" instead of "culture"? You could have let that pass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 18 days ago)
 
48,270 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That's because they want excuses to hold on to their generational prejudices. They talk about personal responsibility when they fail in that arena.
Those who have prejudice in their minds often ignore things that go against their thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,518 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Okay, I get now what you are saying.

but I did want to point out that just because "many kids from black single parent households" end up in the street "doing nothing productive" that the majority of them do not.

By all accounts, I am from a single parent home. My mom was not married to my dad when I was born and I was her second child. They broke up when I was 6 but got back together when I was 22 lol and eventually got married, then divorced.

My husband is from a single parent home. His dad abandoned him.

Both of us are college graduates. I have 3 brothers and all of them are gainfullly employed. My husband has a younger brother who is a college graduate and is a special education teacher.

Most of my family in my generation, so my cousins, are from single parent homes. Few of us "do nothing productive." I honestly can't think of one person in my family who is not gainfully employed and I have a big family of cousins. Only 2 out of about 25 of us came from an "in tact" family. 100% have "some college" and over half have a degree and the others work in jobs where they make decent incomes.

Like another poster mentioned earlier. Black gains are improving on all fronts, even with a large percent of us being from single parent households born from the late 1970s to the mid 1990s when OOW births increased the most. Only a small percentage of black people end up "doing nothing productive" with their lives.

So like I said, your friend's story is not unique. It is rather common for black people. A large amount of us were raised by single parents and we are doing fine.
Good to hear your account. I know it's not unique - but I think you understand how many don't make it out.

But we are not in the 1960s either as many want to portray... there has been a lot of progress.

I am just keeping hope alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,339 posts, read 11,558,074 times
Reputation: 4319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
My OP was not that difficult - you just said it yourself above. I would have made it better if I used the word "community" instead of "culture"? You could have let that pass...
Both are would be wrong in this case as you are using them to describe the totality of black people and obviously all black people dont believe the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 18 days ago)
 
48,270 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Reputation: 15366
The whole of Black culture, there are so many different things. What needs to be called out in specific is hood rat culture. The focus needs to be on diminishing hood rat culture and uplifting the best parts of Black culture.

And there is something else I need to say. The best that alot of decent Black people can do is walk away from hood rats. And many Blacks are doing this already. What else can you with hood rats other than walk away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,518 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Both are would be wrong in this case as you are using them to describe the totality of black people and obviously all black people dont believe the same.

Goodness gracious....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 PM
 
1,993 posts, read 1,143,562 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The whole of Black culture, there are so many different things. What needs to be called out in specific is hood rat culture. The focus needs to be on diminishing hood rat culture and uplifting the best parts of Black culture.

And there is something else I need to say. The best that alot of decent Black people can do is walk away from hood rats. And many Blacks are doing this already. What else can you with hood rats other than walk away?
That is very much false. What is the so called "hood culture", or ghetto culture as you say was born from the very instinct of survival in certain circumstances.

It has nothing to do with the "better" or "lower" aspects of a population.

Furthermore, the so called ghetto is generally called out enough, ostracized or stigmatized enough in our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 18 days ago)
 
48,270 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
That is very much false. What is the so called "hood culture", or ghetto culture as you say was born from the very instinct of survival in certain circumstances.

It has nothing to do with the "better" or "lower" aspects of a population.

Furthermore, the so called ghetto is generally called out enough, ostracized or stigmatized enough in our society.

Really? Hood rat culture does not help anyone. It does not help a person get through high school or college. It doesn't help in the job market. It only helps to keep people in positions of economic subservience, incarceration, death.

In fact, the "ghetto culture" is basically redneck culture transposed to the major cities. Its roots might go back to the borderlands of the Scotland in the 17th-18th century when shepherds had to be violent to survive. However, in the society we live in, the only thing it results in is death, imprisonment, and a continuing cycle of problems. It adds more problems to a person in addition to the discrimination that already takes place in this society.

I know the roots of hood rat culture. All the more reason to stop perpetuating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top