Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
That is very much false. What is the so called "hood culture", or ghetto culture as you say was born from the very instinct of survival in certain circumstances.

It has nothing to do with the "better" or "lower" aspects of a population.

Furthermore, the so called ghetto is generally called out enough, ostracized or stigmatized enough in our society.
lol, really?... The ghetto ostracize themselves. Worse, Democrats pander to them using every excuse they can think of as to why "you can't do this or that". They even support them as they tell the world your too helpless to get something as simple as a one page voter ID application, something everyone else does and it's easy. Stop giving excuses and show the world you CAN function like every other person is expected to.

Last edited by petch751; 05-12-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Goodness gracious....
explain.

Do you believe their is both good black culture and bad ????

Old 05-12-2015, 07:33 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Really? Hood rat culture does not help anyone. It does not help a person get through high school or college. It doesn't help in the job market. It only helps to keep people in positions of economic subservience, incarceration, death.

In fact, the "ghetto culture" is basically redneck culture transposed to the major cities. Its roots might go back to the borderlands of the Scotland in the 17th-18th century when shepherds had to be violent to survive. However, in the society we live in, the only thing it results in is death, imprisonment, and a continuing cycle of problems. It adds more problems to a person in addition to the discrimination that already takes place in this society.

I know the roots of hood rat culture. All the more reason to stop perpetuating it.
No you do not know the roots of the so called hoodrat culture.

Please stop reading Thomas Sewell and use logic for yourself. It is not redneck culture transported to inner cities.

When you are given several obstacles to hurdle to survive, poverty and the like of what you see in these areas like inner cities occurs.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
lol, really?... The ghetto ostracize themselves. Worse, Democrats pander to them using every excuse they can think of as to why "you can't do this or that". They even support them as they tell the world your too helpless to get something as simple as a one page voter ID application, something everyone else does and it's easy. Stop giving excuses and show the world you CAN function like every other person is expected to.
Let me guess the stigmatization and ostracization of poor and underclass people just fell the sky. Ok.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 PM

72,997 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
No you do not know the roots of the so called hoodrat culture.

Please stop reading Thomas Sewell and use logic for yourself. It is not redneck culture transported to inner cities.

When you are given several obstacles to hurdle to survive, poverty and the like of what you see in these areas like inner cities occurs.
Again, how does hood rat culture provide a way out of such circumstances? Poverty plays a part in hood rat culture, but how does hood rat culture do anything to get people out of poverty, out of a violent environment? The point is improvement and making things better, not simply accepting things "as it is", because the way things are, it isn't good enough.

Furthermore, refute anything I have mentioned. You've proven you disagree, but you have not proven that I was wrong somehow.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just wanted to put this out there...

Many see the media reports of the Ferguson and Baltimore incidents and go along with the narrative that there is no progress - and that blacks are in the same boat that we have been in since the civil rights days.

I went to a graduation this weekend. My wife's best friend has four sons whom she is raising up on her own (+10 yrs. husband left). The oldest received his BA degree. The second oldest just completed his first year of college. The mom is tireless in her work, support for the kids' activities, church attendance, participation, prayer, etc. with not a lot of income. I don't know how she does it. I am pretty sure the boys are getting scholarship because of the family's low income.

The point is, this is how change occurs - one person at a time... one decision at a time to do the right thing day after day. It's a slow process. The boy that graduated has no personal burdens that will restrict him from getting the experience he needs to advance in his field.

It could be a high school athlete who gets a four year scholarship. The athlete may have no chance of becoming a pro athlete, but he can get a free college education and change his/her family tree for the better for future generations.

So - in this graduation season - if you are a black single parent that has kids that are graduating college - congratulations and thank you - you are THE change of black culture.
You're supposed to do those things!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 PM

72,997 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You're supposed to do those things!
I'm guessing that the person accomplishing good things despite hard circumstances doesn't move you at all.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Again, how does hood rat culture provide a way out of such circumstances? Poverty plays a part in hood rat culture, but how does hood rat culture do anything to get people out of poverty, out of a violent environment? The point is improvement and making things better, not simply accepting things "as it is", because the way things are, it isn't good enough.

Furthermore, refute anything I have mentioned. You've proven you disagree, but you have not proven that I was wrong somehow.
I simply said ghetto culture is a product of survival in particular conditions or circumstances. Im referring to drug dealing, the underground economy, criminality, etc.

I said nothing about whether it is socially acceptable or conventional to engage in this particular lifestyle or if it improves or advances thier circumstances.

Not only did you fail to grasp my argument on a deeply critical level, but you also jumped to conclusions about an opinion that I did not affirm.

Having said that, there are people who their entire live thier entire lives in the underprivileged areas who don't commit crime, take pride in civic engagement, and lead by example motivating others around them to do better. So certainly not everyone who is a product of such an environment is held to the standards that you expect or accept things as is like the ghetto people you despise so much. THANK YOU.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Excuuuuse me! Change black culture? That you very much but no thank you.

Black culture produced W.E.B Dubois, John Hope Franklin, Sylvester James Gates, J. Erenest Wilkins and Neal DeGrasse-Tyson.

Black culture produced W.C. Handy, Louis Armstrong, Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Miles Davis and Wynton Marsallis.

Black culture produced Countee Cullen, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Thurston, James Baldwin, Maya Angelou and Toni Morrison.

Black culture produced, Jackie Robinson, Jessie Owens, Bill Russell, Mohammad Ali, Karem Abdul Jabbar, and Magic Johnson.

Black culture produced Josephine Baker, Martha Graham, Alvin Ailey, Judith Jamison and Misty Copeland.

Black culture produced, Thurgood Marshall, Daniel James Jr. Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, and 88 African American men who gave full measure for this country and as a result have been recognized with the nation's highest honor...

Now if you want to do something about the culture of poverty, please be my guess but don't restrict you efforts to young African Americans, there are plenty of white, latino, Asian, and Native America who live in poverty, awash with drugs, violence, dysfunctional families, and myriad of other problems associated with low economic status.

So please leave black culture the buck alone!
Your list is incomplete!

Jupiter Hammon
Paul Dunbar
Garrett Morgan
Henry Ossian Flipper
Benjamin Banneker
Booker T. Washington
George Washington Carver
Vivien Thomas
Benjamin O. Davis, Sr. and Jr.
Dr. Yvonne Thornton
Dr. Jocelyn Elders
Dr. Regina Benjamin
Phillis Wheatley
Dr. Mae Jemison
Bessie Coleman

Not to mention uncountable businessmen and women, teachers, doctors, lawyers, and all the others who work and raise families without fanfare.

Dang - we could keep this up all night, couldn't we?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,682 times
As member the Black middle class, it feel like I am struck between rock and place.

Sometimes our culture get hate on because of racism .

For example , Empire was getting hate but no one criticizing Dexter which is way worse.

Or when black women decide to go natural hair route but no one get on the other non black women for their hair.

The gangster sub culture is main problem of black american.

Another thing is light skin vs dark skin thing needs to end.

Lastly , We stop hating white people and forgive but not forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies