Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 11:51 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Its an attack on medical freedom. Period. Soon as California wants to pay for these children's education I am sure no parent would mind.The only states with MANDATORY vaccine laws are Mississippi and West Virginia which only allow medical exemptions.
Medical freedom? Until recent times everyone WANTED and EXPECTED their kids and every other to be vaccinated in a crowded room to prevent, you know, death. This wasn't an issue when I was a kid and I'm only in my 50's. It's the modern parent, the "I know better than..." even when they don't, the ones who subscribe to every scare urban legend out there. THAT is not enough of a reason to have let these exemptions to turn into whatever you want for whatever reason you want.

Life Long Californian

Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM

102 posts, read 106,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I don't understand why a Religious exemption but not a Philosophical exemption.
The religious exemption would be a much smaller group of people. States have found that there are a lot of people who don't want to do all the required vaccinations, and most of those people are the better educated, and thus less likely to belong to the handful of fundamentalist religions that the State recognizes as qualifying for exemption.

It's just a numbers game for the Industrial - Health complex.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:17 PM

364 posts, read 277,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretBartley View Post
The religious exemption would be a much smaller group of people. States have found that there are a lot of people who don't want to do all the required vaccinations, and most of those people are the better educated, and thus less likely to belong to the handful of fundamentalist religions that the State recognizes as qualifying for exemption.

It's just a numbers game for the Industrial - Health complex.
Weird to me. We have NEVER had a religious reason until recently to not vaccinate it was always a personal educated choice. Now its both but we ALWAYS had to use the religious exemption where we lived.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I missed that.

I agree vaccines are a medical decision, but it has consequences because we are dealing
with contagious diseases, so no, they are not like any other medical issue.

Parents that choose not to vaccinate have options outside of a public education system.
They should exercise them.
You didn't miss anything. I said the child should be identifiable via a list provided by the school.

Schools include students and teachers whose immune systems are suppressed for various reasons. For these people, a common childhood disease like measles, could be life threatening. They are entitled to know which children could be a danger to them.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Read what he wrote. Nazis marked the jews with stars of david. He/She wants to mark unvaccinated people with some identifying mark....same thing....oh and vaccines are a medical decision just like any other medical issue is.
Where did I say that? Typical hyperbolic, knee jerk response....

Old 05-18-2015, 02:30 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You didn't miss anything. I said the child should be identifiable via a list provided by the school.
Illegal and this is the kind of thinking that has me queasy about this whole thing. My kids got their shots and I'm not against immunizations but wow, some of you people are really going over the edge here.

Quote:
Schools include students and teachers whose immune systems are suppressed for various reasons. For these people, a common childhood disease like measles, could be life threatening. They are entitled to know which children could be a danger to them.
Right, a scarlet letter for when they are around you at the mall, restaurant, movie theater, etc, etc, etc. Would something sew on suit you or would you prefer a tattoo?

Old 05-18-2015, 02:51 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,732 times
Quote:
Its an attack on medical freedom. Period. Soon as California wants to pay for these children's education I am sure no parent would mind.The only states with MANDATORY vaccine laws are Mississippi and West Virginia which only allow medical exemptions.
Scientifically illiterate parents are putting their children's lives in danger because they don't know how vaccines work. This put other children at risk as well.

I believe any mandatory vaccination law should have a strict sunset period, but in that time, education needs to be made available so we won't have complete idiots who don't understand vaccines hurting their children because they're too thick to do the research themselves.

Also, what is religious exemption. Any religion that won't let you get vaccines is a religion no one should trust.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Illegal and this is the kind of thinking that has me queasy about this whole thing. My kids got their shots and I'm not against immunizations but wow, some of you people are really going over the edge here.

Right, a scarlet letter for when they are around you at the mall, restaurant, movie theater, etc, etc, etc. Would something sew on suit you or would you prefer a tattoo?
All the places you mention do not require that a child/adult be present. Those with suppressed immune systems can wisely choose to avoid them, or take precautions when frequenting them. In this country, all children must be educated and most get their educations in a school.

Attending school is not an option and it should be a safe place, health-wise, for ALL children. Parents who choose to not vaccinate their children turn their kids into ticking time bombs for children (and adults) who are disease susceptible.

A list of unvaccinated children would be sufficient. Forewarned is forearmed.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:05 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
All the places you mention do not require that a child/adult be present. Those with suppressed immune systems can wisely choose to avoid them, or take precautions when frequenting them. In this country, all children must be educated and most get their educations in a school.
Some kid in a bubble is the extreme. Our laws should not be based upon extreme rare cases.

One might argue that someone like Klebold and Harris were unable to handle being around other kids in a public setting but that is hardly a valid argument for ending public schools.

Quote:
Attending school is not an option and it should be a safe place, health-wise, for ALL children. Parents who choose to not vaccinate their children turn their kids into ticking time bombs for children (and adults) who are disease susceptible.
There we go again......"ticking time bombs". You concern me than the rare kid who didn't get their shots.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:05 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Put the non vaccinated kids together in a classroom. Would give MUCH higher odds of the problem sorting itself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies