U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 06:00 PM

6,299 posts, read 3,550,035 times

Advertisements

[quote=suzy_q2010;39693020]It is normal to get fewer illnesses as you get older because you have already had them before, especially colds, and as your children get older they catch fewer things to pass on to you. Not having had the flu may mean you just got lucky.

However, animal studies suggest that a genetic mutation that creates a deficiency in an enzyme the influenza virus needs to produce infectious particles inside a host may provide resistance to flu.

Your hyperbole gets tiresome after a while. No one has ever said that a "shot is the ONLY way to build your immune system". Obviously, getting sick can make you immune, too. That is why all of us born before 1957 are presumed to be immune to measles.

Vaccines enable you to become immune without getting sick, though. And the research on measles shows that having immunity from the actual infection is not better than having immunity from the vaccine.[/QUOT"E]

lol That is why at school during the 2009 Flu "Pandemic" it started to look like a Senior Community Center at the public school where I worked. The kids were all out sick. The younger teachers and staff were all out sick, even despite most of them getting flu shots. Some even wore masks to school. Kids laughed at them.

We older staff laughed at all this. It got so bad that they could not get Subs for the younger teachers out sick. They were pulling older not sick Paras to Sub for teachers because we were the only ones not catching the flu.

Guess that Flu Vaccine worked really great, didn't it? BTW, since you live in Florida, this WAS in Florida. No, I did not get a Flu shot then even in my 60s and never got that flu, or any decades before, or since. Built up immunity over decades of being exposed to so much of it. Hey, but I though the flu morphed every year?

Edit: If you check statistics for the state with one of the lowest vaccinations rates, it is not California, but Florida, especially when it comes to Flu vaccination rates. That might be because people associate flu with cold/winter, which Florida does not have. Maybe the CDC needs to require flu vaccinations for all flights, or vehicle travel, from the north during "Season"? lol

Last edited by Jo48; 05-23-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 PM

86,892 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Flu is present year-round in the tropics. Maybe those Floridians are just in denial. Regarding the 2009 swine flu epidemic, the disease hit Colorado in August, before the vaccine was out.
WHO | Influenza

Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 PM

8,498 posts, read 7,646,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I had measles and was a very sickly child (strep/Scarlet Fever). My daughter had the measles VACCINE but was not any less sick (strep/ear infections) as a child than I was having the disease. Perhaps GENES plays more of a role than the disease or a vaccination?

However, after all those decades of catching everything under the sun, when I reached middle age I just plain did not get sick at all, including with the flu. My daughter says she HOPES that is genetic also. Maybe it was just building up your immune system from being sick so much. Nah, that is IMPOSSIBLE. A shot is the ONLY way to build your immune system.

What does the measles vax have to do with preventing strep or ear infections?

Some people never get the flu - because they aren't those who have it when they are contagious.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-23-2015 at 10:22 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 10:50 PM

11,617 posts, read 5,906,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Apparently neither you nor your daughter have any clue about the difference between infectious diseases vs. bacterial infections vs. viral infection vs. genetics.
Are all of those things "versus"?

Take Staph Aureus, for instance. (Clue bells should have gone off when it started necrotizing.)

"vis-à-vis" - Didn't ABBA do a song about this? No, it was "Voulez-Vous".

Pleomorphology is not a myth, and it is a bit more complex than the mereness of the dumbed down diversionary of simplistic polymorphology (Masters of the Scene).

There is interplay.

And, to complicate things, there is pleo-function.

Furthermore, genes do not always lead; sometimes, they follow.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 05-23-2015 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What does the measles vax have to do with preventing strep or ear infections?

Some people never get the flu - because they aren't those who have it when they are contagious.
Articles saying that the measles vax is so good that it prevents OTHER diseases too.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Articles saying that the measles vax is so good that it prevents OTHER diseases too.
I'm not sure which articles you're referring to. No reputable source says MMR will prevent these other diseases you brought up. A common complication of measles disease is ear infection. So not getting measles will prevent that ear infection. Pneumococcal vaccine helps prevent *some* ear infections, those caused by pneumococcal bacteria.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 AM

23,290 posts, read 28,093,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm not sure which articles you're referring to. No reputable source says MMR will prevent these other diseases you brought up. A common complication of measles disease is ear infection. So not getting measles will prevent that ear infection. Pneumococcal vaccine helps prevent *some* ear infections, those caused by pneumococcal bacteria.

Here is the post being referred to:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/39679696-post209.html

Having measles infection increases susceptibility to other infections for two to three years after the actual infection. Apparently it causes the immune system to lose its memory for some organisms that it has previously encountered, in essence causing a sort of immune amnesia. Introducing the measles vaccine prevents measles and thereby prevents that damage to the immune system. The result is fewer infections overall, even though the vaccine does not specifically target those infections.

Long-term measles-induced immunomodulation increases overall childhood infectious disease mortality

Measles Weakens the Immune System for Years - D-brief

"The findings underscore the importance of the measles vaccine. If measles increases the rate of other infectious disease, then removing measles from the population should decrease the rate of other infectious diseases – and that’s exactly what’s seen in the historical record.

As countries have introduced national measles vaccination campaigns, childhood mortality from all infectious diseases, not just measles, dropped by 50 percent in those countries. In the U.S., prior to measles vaccination in the mid-1960s, 15 children in every 100,000 died of infectious diseases (not counting measles). After the vaccine eradicated measles from the population, that death rate dropped to 6 children in every 100,000.
"

This underscores that measles is not a benign disease, and having had an infection with measles is definitely not better than being vaccinated against it.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:49 AM

^^Well, yes, and that article refers to measles disease compromising one's immune system for years to come. Granted, it can be confusing at times.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Well, I suppose that measles vaccine didn't do any good for my daughter as far as infectious diseases like seaming endless bouts of strep and ear infections until she was a teenager. Perhaps she was given far too many antibiotics which became less and less effective over time. For another thread perhaps.

No difference in our rates of our childhood illnesses from my having had measles and her having had the measles vaccine. Is there a vaccine to change your GENES?

Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Well, I suppose that measles vaccine didn't do any good for my daughter as far as infectious diseases like seaming endless bouts of strep and ear infections until she was a teenager. Perhaps she was given far too many antibiotics which became less and less effective over time. For another thread perhaps.

No difference in our rates of our childhood illnesses from my having had measles and her having had the measles vaccine. Is there a vaccine to change your GENES?
You'll note the article talks about a decrease in deaths after vaccination, basically b/c one's immune system isn't wiped out for a few years. Your daughter got strep, but it didn't progress to Scarlet Fever or Rheumatic Fever as in the past. Of course, the antibiotics helped. But also, her immune system was stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or