Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 01:01 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Wrong. The only congressman leading the effort to end the war on drugs is a REPUBLICAN.
That's one person.

From Bill to legalize recreational marijuana use in Texas clears House committee | abc13.com

"The Republican Party is opposed to it. Constant with our party platform, I think it's dead on arrival if it reaches the House or Senate floor," said Former Rep Party Chairman Jared Woodfill.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:04 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And Obama is the leader of the war on drugs. I haven't seen him do anything to support freedom of the plant.
You mean other then directing that his federal agents not prosecute cases in areas that have legalized it? Yes I know that hasn't been followed 100%, but check out Colorado, or Washington. The feds aren't exactly cracking down.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:08 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean other then directing that his federal agents not prosecute cases in areas that have legalized it? Yes I know that hasn't been followed 100%, but check out Colorado, or Washington. The feds aren't exactly cracking down.
Which is an abuse of the power of the president.

Changing law by back door actions without congress is terrible. The presidents job is to enforce the laws of the nation, not pick and choose what he agrees with and what he doesn't and dictate from that point.

I hope you can be bi partisan enough to see why this is a terrible precedent.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:22 PM

463 posts, read 320,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Which is an abuse of the power of the president.

Changing law by back door actions without congress is terrible. The presidents job is to enforce the laws of the nation, not pick and choose what he agrees with and what he doesn't and dictate from that point.

I hope you can be bi partisan enough to see why this is a terrible precedent.
The problem is, in this case, it is the only way to go.

Big money pharma and tobacco is a MAJOR factor it keeping it not only illegal at the federal level, but very illegal by making sure it stays Schedule I. This is very corrupt, and that precedent that was set way before states started legalizing. That is one reason why this issue has been stuck for 50+ years.

It has gone on for so long, and so many lives have been destroyed by it, that they can't change now. I believe the feds are waiting for the time when so many states have legalized it that they have no choice but to legalize it also.

That way they can possibly deflect lawsuits that would come from the millions harmed if the government just came out and said that they were wrong.

Last edited by Vistaian; 05-12-2015 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Bolded the point I was responding to

Old 05-12-2015, 01:26 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
It's the freedom to do what one wants with their body that is the real issue at root. Especially when the reasoning they give "it's dangerous" is hilariously transparent considering many other things that are more dangerous are perfectly legal (alcohol, cigarettes, fast food, high fructose corn syrup, automobiles, etc.) Marijuana is illegal because for many reasons, and the root of them all? MONEY. The government needs to stop the war on drugs, it's a shameful, corruption filled lie and a waste of taxpayer money.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I know that during a radio show( out of Oregon) that many stoners called in when the topic was legalizing marijuana. Many or most were not exactly all there and some had some pretty goofy beliefs about it. I guess it would be like talking to a wino about Prohibition. You'd have a fun discussion but you wouldn't want the guy writing social policy for you.
Smoke in the privacy of your own home, use it medicinally, lets grow industrial hemp, but don't tell me it doesn't soften your brain if you smoke it constantly.
No one's denying that. If you smoked every day all day you probably wouldn't be the sharpest tool in the shed. If you drank every day all day you'd probably lose brain cells and have liver failure, if you ate fast food every day all day you'd probably get a heart attack by the time you were 30, if you smoked cigarettes every day all day you'd probably get lung cancer, etc, etc.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,323 times
Not sure.

I personally never really saw the appeal of it.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:17 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The non-enforcement is what Rand Paul also said he would do.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
First of all, there is no real political left anymore.

Liberals, true liberals, disappeared when the hippies went away.

What passes for a liberal today is a politically opportunistic statist who has used up all the traditional victims of white male intolerance and privilege (women, blacks, etc).

With fewer and fewer quality victims upon which to proclaim their benevolent support, statists passing themselves off as liberals and libertarians have had to invent new victims and new causes hoping to retain relevance in the era of black and female affirmative action.

Enter: homosexuals, transgenders, illegal aliens and weed heads.

Of course this should not come as a surprise to anyone since Democrats, the larval form of statists, are always seeking causes for which there can be no debate to attach their unpopular and often unconstitutional initiatives hoping to ram whatever it is down out throats thereby retaining political relevance.
LOL @ weed heads. This thread is comical. I just came here to read the comments, mainly.

What others do in their own homes is their business. I personally never cared for marijuana, but would not unfriend someone if they smoked it. Just do not care to have it pushed on me or have it blown in my face. I feel exactly the same about cigarettes. I just despise that smell.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
The problem is, in this case, it is the only way to go.

Big money pharma and tobacco is a MAJOR factor it keeping it not only illegal at the federal level, but very illegal by making sure it stays Schedule I. This is very corrupt, and that precedent that was set way before states started legalizing. That is one reason why this issue has been stuck for 50+ years.

It has gone on for so long, and so many lives have been destroyed by it, that they can't change now. I believe the feds are waiting for the time when so many states have legalized it that they have no choice but to legalize it also.

That way they can possibly deflect lawsuits that would come from the millions harmed if the government just came out and said that they were wrong.
Pot being illegal seems to be the lesser of two evils when compared to what amounts to a veto pen in the hand of the president for any law that has ever been passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies