U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,893 posts, read 13,434,612 times
Reputation: 21996

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An interesting revelation from the MJ legalization currently under way in my state has been how popular pot smoking is among denizens of the left. The Seattle City Attorney celebrated legalization by buying some pot and bringing it to the office.
Seattle's Attorney Pete Holmes Takes Pot To Work, Apologizes (And Smokes)

I guess that there is probably less alcohol consumption on the right due to the number of conservative Christians, but other than that I don't see a difference in right-wing vs. left wing boozing. But there is this huge dichotomy when it comes to marijuana use. No doubt there are some right-wing libertarians who indulge, but in my experience they are mostly ex-users. A local libertarian candidate here said that (paraphrase) 'we are gun-toting economists on drugs.' But like most Libertarians, if he ever used drugs it was probably over 30 years ago.

I asked a liberal/progressive friend who is a non-pot-smoker about this. He immediately agreed that it is far more prevalent on the left. He explained, "we're more relaxed; we're not as uptight as the right."

Why are so many on the left enamoured of smoking the wacky tobacky?
So you are basing this on what one person told you plus the fact that you think people on the right and the left drink the same amounts, and you have decided that right wing libertarians who smoke pot are ex drug users? wow..just wow

 
Old 05-15-2015, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,779 posts, read 2,694,175 times
Reputation: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An interesting revelation from the MJ legalization currently under way in my state has been how popular pot smoking is among denizens of the left. The Seattle City Attorney celebrated legalization by buying some pot and bringing it to the office.
Seattle's Attorney Pete Holmes Takes Pot To Work, Apologizes (And Smokes)

I guess that there is probably less alcohol consumption on the right due to the number of conservative Christians, but other than that I don't see a difference in right-wing vs. left wing boozing. But there is this huge dichotomy when it comes to marijuana use. No doubt there are some right-wing libertarians who indulge, but in my experience they are mostly ex-users. A local libertarian candidate here said that (paraphrase) 'we are gun-toting economists on drugs.' But like most Libertarians, if he ever used drugs it was probably over 30 years ago.

I asked a liberal/progressive friend who is a non-pot-smoker about this. He immediately agreed that it is far more prevalent on the left. He explained, "we're more relaxed; we're not as uptight as the right."

Why are so many on the left enamoured of smoking the wacky tobacky?
As a Liberal I have never smoked anything but why is the "right" opposed to Marijuana? Is it being prudish while you scarf down a ton of OxyCotin which is legal with a bottle of Vodka?
People should not be arrested for smoking or having Marijuana on them to begin with.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 08:55 AM
 
4,572 posts, read 2,968,708 times
Reputation: 3261
I'm about as conservative as you can get but I have zero problems with pot and would smoke it today if it were legal in my location. Hell, back in the day, we grew it in California in our backyard.

OP thread fail.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,518 posts, read 16,420,293 times
Reputation: 8061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That being said, I don't support legalizing everything because there are some drugs like crack/cocaine, meth, weird hard opiates, and heroin that are just plain bad and have like no positive uses.
So, anything that you think has no value should be illegal? And how has that worked out so far? Do you really think more people would use meth if it were legal?

And how about this?

Medical Use of Cocaine | American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery

and this?


Medical Uses of Heroin - A Unique Health Blog with Unique Contents - Health Blog
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,518 posts, read 16,420,293 times
Reputation: 8061
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Any suggestions on a drug that would help me to deal with so many pot smoking left-wingers?
Rice krispies......
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,518 posts, read 16,420,293 times
Reputation: 8061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Simple. Move to a red state where no one smokes pot.
That state does not exist. You might want to know that the state with the highest percent of Marijuana consumers is Alaska, a red state.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,518 posts, read 16,420,293 times
Reputation: 8061
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Looks like our nation has now become a "Say YES To Drugs" society.
It always has been. We spend $325 billion annually on legal drugs. But the rate of growth has slowed.

http://www.ashpmedia.org/AJHP/DrugExpenditures-2014.pdf

In addition, we spend $100 billion on illegal drugs and that number hasn't changed much in the past 15 years.

So, $425 billion per year on drugs. Yes, we are a "Say YES to drugs" society.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,518 posts, read 16,420,293 times
Reputation: 8061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
As a Liberal I have never smoked anything but why is the "right" opposed to Marijuana?
Why is the "left" opposed to Marijuana? I suspect it's for the same reason as the "right".
 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:44 AM
 
13,992 posts, read 6,354,627 times
Reputation: 14553
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That's what bothers me. Once let out, you can never shut Pandora's box.
Beginning with alcohol. Let me guess, you drink. "I would never make alcohol illegal!!! Because I love to drink!" Hypocrisy at its finest.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,043,072 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Beginning with alcohol. Let me guess, you drink. "I would never make alcohol illegal!!! Because I love to drink!" Hypocrisy at its finest.

Honestly, and I'll be the first to say that T-310 and I disagree on the subject of cannabis, but if you've read any of his posts, he doesn't drink either, and hates alcohol! Based on what he has posted on here in the past, I can understand why.


Not stalking you T-310, but I do pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top