U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM

15,258 posts, read 7,780,666 times

Advertisements

I watched the entire speech and thought it was a decent one. Basically she said the same thing black grandparents say to us black kids - that there will be obstacles in life that you have to face due to being black, but that you can overcome them. Also that that should not define or lead you in life, that you should depend on your own inner strength and you family and your common sense to navigate society and live your life on your terms.

All of you who are criticizing her speech, it seems you didn't listen to the whole thing. Also, you don't want to admit that there really are still obstacles and nuisances in life relating to being black.

As a black person, I feel it is ridiculous to think that we should ignore this or teach our kids to ignore it as when they are eventually confronted with racial profiling or racial prejudice, they won't know what to do and it can cause more trauma or issues at that time.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,209,151 times
It's just another case of "perpetuate the victimhood" of Blacks, a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:12 AM

10,032 posts, read 7,098,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Anyone watch or read the entire speech? It was remarkable.

How dare a well educated black woman tell the graduating class how it was/ is. The bottom line was " so what" - other people's perceptions, opinions and noise do not define you.

It's a very similar message Dr Ben Carson communicates to black student audiences. He was often mistaken for an orderly because people could not imagine a young black man was a MD. Patients refused to be seen by him because Of the color of his skin.

Too bad some white conservative media continues to pander to an audience that has a serious issue with black people who recognize they have a choice and choose to not allow other people to define their worth based on the color of their skin.
It's too bad that people like Mooch insist on making these people define themselves by the color of their skin and promote the perpetual victimhood status.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:18 AM

10,032 posts, read 7,098,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I watched the entire speech and thought it was a decent one. Basically she said the same thing black grandparents say to us black kids - that there will be obstacles in life that you have to face due to being black, but that you can overcome them. Also that that should not define or lead you in life, that you should depend on your own inner strength and you family and your common sense to navigate society and live your life on your terms.

All of you who are criticizing her speech, it seems you didn't listen to the whole thing. Also, you don't want to admit that there really are still obstacles and nuisances in life relating to being black.

As a black person, I feel it is ridiculous to think that we should ignore this or teach our kids to ignore it as when they are eventually confronted with racial profiling or racial prejudice, they won't know what to do and it can cause more trauma or issues at that time.
Oh trust me....they know just what to do.

Didn't get that job because a more qualified candidate was hired? Scream racism

Old 05-12-2015, 08:18 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,066,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
This is the way to encourage new graduates to enter the real world they will live in the rest of their lives? Instead of speaking encouragement and of how America opens doors to terrific opportunity this ???? woman spits out hate? How disgusting.

And...we wonder with this kind of rhetoric spewing from the mouths of the White House occupants if this builds the fires under all the rioting over black criminals being shot?? I don't count this Grey character in Baltimore since he has a long criminal record in drug involvement, was arrested, had high drug content in his body, is suspected of swallowing the drugs he was selling in order to hide them and his injuries are highly suspected of self-inflicted while spaced out on drugs. That riot is based on bull shi!. Way to go, Michelle...just carry on the racial spew your husband, Eric Holder and his replacement spit out.
Exactly!

If the students thought they could earn a degree from a great school, and achieve great accomplishments in life and climb that ladder of success....well.... forget it, even the First Lady of the USA is still back on the plantation. In other words, she is categorizing herself and everyone else in that room by the color of their skin.

Hey grads, just focus on the obstacles and impediments that you might come across in life. Focus like a laser on what you think other people might think of you, look for and assume the worst from people, even if they are complete strangers. Wallow in your self pity, and cling to every real or perceived slight you come across in life, and let these eat away at you from the inside.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 AM

7,167 posts, read 2,339,233 times
Not seeing the issue. The writer is simply attempting to make his opinion something more than it is and projecting his own issues with the First Lady.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-12-2015 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: orphaned reply to deleted content

Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,710,257 times
This speech is not appropriate for a commencement speech. It should be uplifting, and inspiring.
This is the same message that her husband has been espousing since he won the second term.
This was calculated. She chose an all Black college to target on purpose so she could make these particular talking points.
She could have talked about so many different things.. she chose to talk about black victimization. She gave them excuses to use if they should not reach their goals. Hardly inspiring words.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 AM

34,954 posts, read 19,098,572 times
Default Throwing Gas On The Fire: Michelle Obama Wants Blacks to Know What White People Do to “Folks Like You and Me”

Well, whaddya know!

A right wing opinion piece stretching itself to slag on the first lady. Whoever would have guessed?

The first lady's quote that got the author of that unsigned opinion piece in Conservative Tribune all hot and bothered:

“The road ahead is not going to be easy for folks like you and me,” she told the students of Tuskegee University, “because while we’ve come so far, the truth is that those age-old problems are stubborn, and they haven’t fully gone away.”

Oh, no!

What a radical black pantherish thing to say! Discrimination and mistreatment still exist? Who knew?

Carry on.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 AM

53 posts, read 43,628 times
The Obamas strike me as being very angry people, choosing chips on their shoulders at all times. The president's wife is not my definition of a lady. I feel sorry for their children, growing up surrounded by evil. That may be a radical opinion, but I'm not the only one who holds it.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM

8,031 posts, read 7,601,439 times
Being that Al Sharpton is no stranger in the Spite House, why is anyone surprised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or