Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:01 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
"Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said this week that he intends to mount a fight against the reauthorization of the Patriot Act, the post-Sept. 11 law that gives the National Security Agency much of its authority to conduct surveillance programs.

"“I’m going to lead the charge in the next couple of weeks as the Patriot Act comes forward. We will be filibustering. We will be trying to stop it. We are not going to let them run over us,” Paul told the New Hampshire Union Leader on Monday."

Rand Paul Plans To Filibuster Patriot Act

[via Infowars.com]

Why on earth do you think leftists like the Patriot Act???? It's Mitch McConnell who is leading the fight to reauthorize it. Do you really think he is a leftist?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I suspect Rand Paul will attempt to modify the Act, not repeal it in its entirety.
Why do you think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why on earth do you think leftists like the Patriot Act???? It's Mitch McConnell who is leading the fight to reauthorize it. Do you really think he is a leftist?
Mitch is a neocon (aka leftist Repub., aka Rockefeller Repub.). Neoconservatism is "neo-" (i.e., 'new-,' 'improved-,' 'lefty anodyne-') for a reason: it is, on record, Trotskyism brought by Bill Kristol's father, Irving Kristol, into the U.S. via Mexico City in the 1950s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
GOP has majority, so its more than uninformed to say he'd filibuster against Dems. He does it to keep Republicans from re-newing it. It was a GOP baby to begin with.
No actually it was a Joe Biden (D-DE) baby to begin with:

"Biden himself draws parallels between his 1995 bill and its 2001 cousin. 'I drafted a terrorism bill after the Oklahoma City bombing. And the bill John [Justice Dept. AG last name asterisked by City-Data] sent up was my bill," he said when the Patriot Act was being debated, according to the New Republic, which described him as "the Democratic Party's de facto spokesman on the war against terrorism.'"

http://www.cnet.com/news/joe-bidens-...voting-record/

Last edited by mm4; 05-12-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 10:15 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
No actually it was a Joe Biden (D-DE) baby to begin with:
If Joe Biden voted it through Congress in October 26, 2001 then you are correct. Since it is not correct, then you are only proving your ignorance about how the US government works.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If Joe Biden voted it through Congress in October 26, 2001 then you are correct. Since it is not correct, then you are only proving your ignorance about how the US government works.
He voted it through Congress on October 25, 2001, 01:54 PM EST, when his vote was recorded:

U.S. Senate: Roll Call Vote

Old 05-12-2015, 10:27 AM

934 posts, read 595,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Progressive left? You know a number of liberals and people you would call progressive left agree with Paul.
I dont know any left wingers who support the patriot act

Old 05-12-2015, 10:30 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
He voted it through Congress on October 25, 2001, 01:54 PM EST, when his vote was recorded:
OK, if you say Joe Biden created the Patriot Act then it must be so

Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:

U.S. Senate: Roll Call Vote
I just don't think your description is correct. Then-Senator Biden voted "Yea", as did 97 other Senators (with one Nay and one not voting). While Mr. Biden voted for the Act, it cannot be described as 'voting it through Congress' as if he were solely responsible. Rather, he was in the majority of Senators that voted for the Act, with the House likewise voting for the Act, with the President then signing the Act into law.

I thought this a pretty good quick read of what is happening on the Hill:

?NSA surveillance reform in air as lawmakers threaten Patriot Act renewal filibuster ? RT USA

Note that a Democrat also said he would fillibuster, although that part is being ignored.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I just don't think your description is correct. Then-Senator Biden voted "Yea", as did 97 other Senators (with one Nay and one not voting). While Mr. Biden voted for the Act, it cannot be described as 'voting it through Congress' as if he were solely responsible. Rather, he was in the majority of Senators that voted for the Act, with the House likewise voting for the Act, with the President then signing the Act into law.

I thought this a pretty good quick read of what is happening on the Hill:

?NSA surveillance reform in air as lawmakers threaten Patriot Act renewal filibuster ? RT USA

Note that a Democrat also said he would fillibuster, although that part is being ignored.
I never said he was the only one who voted it through. You have to follow the straw man argument in the posts immediately prior that Finn_Jarber put up.

First he s/he said it was a "GOP baby."

I corrected that assertion by pointing to a CNET link where Joe Biden takes credit for authoring what the U.S. AG "sent up."

Then Finn attempts to set up a different straw man by saying, "If Joe Biden voted it through Congress in October 26, 2001 then you are correct. Since it is not correct, then you are only proving your ignorance about how the US government works."

I responded by then showing how Biden even contributed to the vote for the legislation that he admits to authoring 6 years before (and repeatedly reintroducing (and failing to get passed until the false flag subsequent to the false flag in OKC)).

Now you're attempting to carry Finn's straw man argument even further and run with it.

Last edited by mm4; 05-12-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
I dont know any left wingers who support the patriot act
The democrats renewed and expanded the patriot act just a handful of years ago.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
The progressive left definitely has always been very opposed to the Patriot Act. To believe otherwise is swallowing another box of dry teabags, tags and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies