Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Frankly this is too sensitive a subject to debate coherently. I could provide reams of stats that show the increase of violence in the UK,and Austrialia since they outlawed guns and I'm sure folks could try to prove otherwise. The point is that legal gun ownership is the law of the land here in the US and will remain so for sometime. No other country has any right to change our contstitutionaly (sp?) garenteed rights...... Without hurting anyones feelings if you don't like that don't come here, pretty simple isn't it????
I agree with your assertions above.

I have a concealed weapons permit. The FACT is, concealed weapons permit applications are on the rise, many from women.

I have a weapon at home, in my office, my automobile and on my person. It is never my intention to pull my weapon but, rest assured, if I feel compelled enough to pull my weapon, I will also be more than ready to use it.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 AM

48 posts, read 151,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
GSF - I can assure you, from PERSONAL experience, the statements above is incorrect.

I can assure you, from PERSONAL experience, that the intruder was going to hurt my family.

I can assure you, from PERSONAL experience, that ANYONE who attempts to hurt my wife and children deserve to die - and did.
I was speaking about ME PERSONALLY (what is it with the caps??) I mean here in the UK, I am not saying it is safer here, as I would have no idea if it is or not, but....as it is illegal to carry/posess a gun, the chances of robbers having one are slim. I guess if you are planning a robbery in the US, and the chances of the occupant having a gun is high, then you are going to take protection ,even as the criminal. If I was going to break and enter into a household that may have a gun, and who are going to be pretty peeved at my actions, I'm going to want a gun too! Here there is defiantly less need for burglars to be armed.

Then-if they do have a gun, I wouldn't. I am a 23 year old female who would make no attempt to rip off any mask and if possible I'd just pretend to be asleep, or failing that just let them take what they want and leave. There would be no need to kill me. I guess another reason they would try to harm me would be a way of trying to find out where the valuables are, but if a robber is after valuables, he wouldn't go for my house.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass-Stained Feet View Post
Then-if they do have a gun, I wouldn't. I am a 23 year old female who would make no attempt to rip off any mask and if possible I'd just pretend to be asleep, or failing that just let them take what they want and leave. There would be no need to kill me. I guess another reason they would try to harm me would be a way of trying to find out where the valuables are, but if a robber is after valuables, he wouldn't go for my house.
You watch too many television shows!!

Let me ask you this: Are they criminals in the UK that carry guns? And, remember, you live in a country that prohibits private ownership of guns. Yet, criminals have them

Many criminals don't care if you pretent to be asleep - they will roust you out of your bed - and assault you. Criminals break into homes of all economic status

As I noted - a criminal was going to hurt my family - "just because". Your suggestion is that, I should have just let him - and watch my family die.

As I said, I did not take your suggestion.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:33 AM

48 posts, read 151,671 times
Quote:
You watch too many television shows!!

Let me ask you this: Are they criminals in the UK that carry guns? And, remember, you live in a country that prohibits private ownership of guns. Yet, criminals have them

Many criminals don't care if you pretent to be asleep - they will roust you out of your bed - and assault you. Criminals break into homes of all economic status

As I noted - a criminal was going to hurt my family - "just because". Your suggestion is that, I should have just let him - and watch my family die.

As I said, I did not take your suggestion.
I have not suggested that! Please do not twist my words, it is not appreciated. I don't want to argue with you, that was not the point of my thread.

I'm not denying criminals here in the UK have guns, and I don't imagine it is hard to get one if you want one and know the right people, the same goes for a lot of illegal things.

I would have thought that the percentage of burglars here who carry guns is less than that in the US? That was really all I was saying.

Even I said before that if someone killed in front of me, in a burglary situation, and I had a gun, I would pull the trigger on them, no doubt.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
I have just been looking through the forum and have seen some posts about guns...
I knew you could buy guns in the US, but I guess it never really clicked...that just anyone can....buy a gun!

Am I the only one that thinks it is completely nuts?
And is that because I'm from the UK that the idea just seems so surreal.....
Why is that nuts? If you are an adult over 18 (21 in some states) and you have no criminal record and no mental committments, there is no reason for you not to be able to buy a gun. And if you meet the requirements for a weapons permit and demonstrate the ability to carry and use a weapon safely, there is no reason you should not be allowed to carry it on your person or in your vehicle.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Skytripper Fact still is that if no one but the police and homicidal maniacs has guns, there is no need to own one.
Whoa, my brain hurts from reading that. So if there is someone with a maniacal desire to murder someone and he has a gun, there's no need for me to have one? Seriously?

Quote:
I never needed a gun to do just that. I'm also not so insecure that I feel the need to own a gun to be able to do just that.
Do you wear a seatbelt? Do you feel so insecure about your driving that you need to wear a setbelt? Do you feel so scared that every other driver is going to be so bad that they might kill you?

Quote:
And I regard the brain as the most dangerous weapon anyway.
So if someone breaks in your house, you'll yell "Stop! I have a brain! Don't Move!"

Yeah, that oughtta work.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
You would be surprised how many people not only own guns, but have concealed weapons permits. At least in FL. Lots and lots of people.

I have been anti-gun for decades, but now am beginning to research which gun I should get, as well as obtaining a concealed weapons permit. I have been told by a sheriff's deputy in my city that they are "responders" and that he thinks any family is crazy not to have a gun. It made me realize how vulnerable we are. Our sheriff's office does not always even dispatch a car when they are called. And when they are dispatched, it takes more than half an hour for them to arrive.

And the final straw was at a recent public hearing when the sheriff himself, when asked about coverage in our area, admitted that there are times that there is NO coverage whatsoever here. Not a single patrol car. So my 14YO son and I will take target practice together.

I was looking at a C7 taser, but you can only stop one person at a time. I did see a S & W that was just the right size and has a red laser light that shines where you point it when you squeeze the handle. I would imagine a robber would soil himself if he broke in to harm us and looked down at his chest and saw a little red dot.......
For home protection I would recommend a shotgun. Very effective at close range and not likely to miss. For carrying I would recomment a 38 snubnose. Small and convenient but powerful enough to deal with any threat. It is very important that you go to the range and learn to effectively handle and fire both. The biggest mistake people make is to buy a gun and never shoot it until they need it.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
GSF - I can assure you, from PERSONAL experience, the statements above is incorrect.

I can assure you, from PERSONAL experience, that the intruder was going to hurt my family.

I can assure you, from PERSONAL experience, that ANYONE who attempts to hurt my wife and children deserve to die - and did.
Good for you. All other arguments aside, we can be sure that guy never robbed or raped or killed anyone else after that, did he?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Good for you. All other arguments aside, we can be sure that guy never robbed or raped or killed anyone else after that, did he?
No, his "life" (pun intended) of crime was over

Old 01-19-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Hm, good luck with that, eh? Let's hope he doesn't want to rape you. Then kill you. Or maybe rape you and shoot you and leave you for dead, even if you're not...then you have to live the rest of your life with a colostomy bag and the memory of being raped.

Or hell, why does it have to be a guy with a gun? A guy with a knife against an unarmed victim is just as good (but a guy with a knife isn't so good against an armed victim). Then he could rape you, then cut you up real nice. Are you pretty now? Cause you won't be after he cuts you a bit. Want to have kids? Not after he rapes and cuts you.

But hey, yeah, good strategy...just hope all he wants is your money, and then ask him nicely to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies