U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:06 PM

36,320 posts, read 16,228,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
lets just be clear. there is no major movement within any group of Americans that want a "Chrisitian Government.

in fact there is no such thing.

those things are mutually exclusive.
Why would we need a movement when our country is already based on Christian principles? Aren't the Ten Commandments reflected by our laws? So no, they aren't mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM

6,554 posts, read 3,268,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would we need a movement when our country is already based on Christian principles? Aren't the Ten Commandments reflected by our laws? So no, they aren't mutually exclusive.
You shall have no gods before me

Freedom of religion would make this illegal.

Do not worship false idols

Same as above. Freedom of religion means I can worship Ronald McDonald if I choose. No one can stop me.

You shall not take the lords name in vein

Freedom of speech means I can say whatever I want about God, Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha, Abraham, or Vishnu or whatever god I choose to make fun of.

So, at this point, 3 of the 10 are actually unconstitutional.

Keep the Sabbath Holy

Well, the Sabbath is not the same thing for the different religions, and each of these days allows you to do whatever you want. I can do whatever I want come Sunday, or Saturday, or Friday, depending on if you are a Christian, Jew, or Muslims. Do other religions have Sabbaths? Doesn't matter; I can do whatever I want. I can sin and blaspheme all day, any day.

Honor your father and mother

No law requires this. If daddy tells Tommy to take out the trash and Tommy yells back 'suck my ****,' Tommy has not committed a crime.

Shall not murder

Six in, and we reach the first one that is actually enforced by the law. I doubt it's because of the 10 commandments, but murder is illegal in the US.

Shall not commit adultery

23 states of the 50 (less than half) have adultery listed as a criminal offense. So, we'll say that's half enforced then? 1.5 out of 10 commandments are reflected in the law, 3/10 are unconstitutional to make law. Not looking great for you, but we've got three more commandments to go.

Don't steal

Lucky you. Yet another that is enforced.

So at this point, 2.5/10 are reflected in the law.

You shall not bear false witness

In other words, don't lie. This is not technically illegal in most cases. I can write an article claiming Obama send nude pics of himself to me and publish it wherever I want (who would public that, I do not know). It is illegal however to lie when under oath. So in specific cases, lying is illegal. So, another half point? 3/10 in favor of you.

Don't covet

So, don't want what others have. No illegal to do. I can imagine making love to my neighbors wife, wearing his hat, riding his lawnmower if I want and I have not committed a crime. Arguably, this one actually contradicts consumerism which the government encourages since it boosts the economy.

So, 3/10 are reflected in the law. 7/10 are not, 3 of them being unconstitutional. So no, the 10 commandments are not reflected in our laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or