U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:21 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Uhh, there's a difference between a Christian nation and a Christian Government. Just look at the middle Eastern countries with Sharia law.... law based on their religion with no separation between religion and government. I don't hear of anyone in the US wanting a Christian Government.
Agreed but we do not want a state controlled religion. Basically it ends with government control of Churches. The constitution protects religions from the state and needs to stay that way.70%vsupposedly identify themselves as Christians and with Hispanic said to be coming majority and very Christian demographically that number can only grow in time. That is fine as long as there is individual choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 12:22 PM

493 posts, read 310,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's see here, the Crusaders were Christians who went to take back various cities and regions from the Muslims. Here's a question, how did the Muslims come in possession of these cities and regions? Were there any battles involved when they became Muslim?
Islam spread through violence, jihad and forced conversion. Muhammad conquered Mecca and the Arabian Peninsula by killing, raping and murdering Pagans, Jews and Christians, and encouraged his few followers to do the same.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:23 PM

493 posts, read 310,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really?

Was the Yugoslav War, when Catholic Croatian militias and Serbian Orthodox militias tried to exterminate the Muslim population of Bosnia, "centuries before America existed?

Oh...and those massacres and genocides were done with the blessing of their respective churches, in case you didn't know.
Nonsense. It was Muslims that killed and attacked Christians, and still do it today.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:24 PM

28,529 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Quote:
Really?

Was the Yugoslav War, when Catholic Croatian militias and Serbian Orthodox militias tried to exterminate the Muslim population of Bosnia, "centuries before America existed?

Oh...and those massacres and genocides were done with the blessing of their respective churches, in case you didn't know.
What? I have never heard those classified as Christian violence... get outta here...

Old 05-13-2015, 12:25 PM

28,529 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Quote:
Google is my friend. If he's not yours, that's between you and him.

I've got nothing to do with that. Be a better friend or something....whatever.

I said that i had the verses pointed out to me. Not that i dug up those verses myself.

Reading is fundamental.
Bogus.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 PM

25,235 posts, read 14,064,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What? I have never heard those classified as Christian violence... get outta here...
So do you want to Ignore the war in Ireland also, Christians killing other Christians of religious beliefs and control. History is your friend and most of us remember that little war, since it was very recent.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM

4,989 posts, read 2,011,447 times
Quote:
Quote:
No True Scotsman again.

Are these truly cases of "no true Scotsman"?... Or are they examples of wolves in sheep's clothing? Look to their fruits for the answer.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM

32,603 posts, read 16,664,786 times
Quote:
Really?? Racial discrimination is not a tenet of Christianity. Please stop the nonsense.
It isn't now.

Christians have this amazing capacity for updating their sacred dogma once they notice the wind shifting. Mind, they're always a good 30-50 years late, but they do shift none the less. Shall I start citing the good Southern pastors explaining how the Mark of Cain made it clear that the Negro was made for slavery? Or the reasoning for opposing mixed-race marriage in Loving v. Virginia?

Just as Christianity of course supported the Divine Right of Kings - why, it's right there in Paul! - right up until Christianity of course embraced the idea of free elections, because Man, as created in God's image, must naturally be free to govern himself.

Female suffrage? Completely un-Biblical, or just a matter of recognizing the female being created by the Lord as Man's partner and of course she should share the load of governing as well, it is God's will.

Turns out there are few tenets that aren't malleable, once the pressure is really on.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 PM

1,666 posts, read 770,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Islam spread through violence, jihad and forced conversion. Muhammad conquered Mecca and the Arabian Peninsula by killing, raping and murdering Pagans, Jews and Christians, and encouraged his few followers to do the same.
This note above is pure non-sense...

And I quote from a Yale Historical Analysis on the issue, "The nature of the early Muslim conquests in the Middle East made forcible conversion almost impossible. The Muslim armies were comparatively small, between ten and twenty thousand are possible estimates for the numbers in the armies which conquered Syria and Iraq, probably fewer in Egypt and Iran. To be sure, more Arab Muslims emigrated from Arabia to settle in the newly conquered areas but even so the Arab Muslims were a small minority, perhaps 10% of the population of Egypt and perhaps 20% of the most densely settled area, Iraq. In these circumstances, forcing unwilling people to convert was out of the question.

According to the traditional accounts, much of the Arab conquests was achieved by treaty and we have texts of many of these agreement. Here, for example is the treaty that was made by the Caliph Umar with Sophronius, Patriarch of Jerusalem, probably 638: “In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. This is the assurance of safety (amān) which the servant of God Umar, the Commander of the Faithful, has given to the people of Jerusalem.. He has given them an assurance of safety for themselves, for their property, their churches, their crosses, the sick and healthy of the city and for all the rituals which belong to their religion. Their churches will not be inhabited by Muslims and will not be destroyed. Neither they, nor the land on which they stand, nor their cross, nor their property will be damaged. They will not be forcibly converted." http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/rps/kennedy.pdf

Further the largest Muslim country in the world, Indonesia, converted to Islam via missionary work and via their interactions with Muslim traders as the Muslim traders were very forthright and honest in their dealings.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 PM

50,755 posts, read 26,770,684 times
Quote:
That's funny...the whole damn world knows that Yugoslavia's war was a religious war...except YOU.

What's the difference between a Serb, Croatian and a Bosnian?

Nothing but religion. Same language, same culture, same ethnicity.

Truth hurts.
Quote:
Bogus.
OK...Since you wanna be lazy, how about this nice jewel in 1 Peter 2:18

Quote:
1 Peter 2:18:Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh
And that's just one of many.

Go ahead with "But Desert, he didn't REALLY MEAN SLAVERY like you mean slavery BLAH, BLAH, BLAH..."

Yeah, right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or