Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:14 AM

335 posts, read 424,021 times

Advertisements

Republicans are trying to turn US into a theocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Really?? Racial discrimination is not a tenet of Christianity. Please stop the nonsense.
Yep. It was EASILY used to justify racial discrimination and slavery....and subjugation. For centuries...not just here in America either.

I've had the verses pointed out to me, and they're legit if you're looking for a text to justify those things. Old Testament as well as New Testament.

And if you could use it justify those things THEN, you could use it NOW. The Bible hasn't changed last i remember.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Yes I read it. The author has a degree in Theology...so.....
Yea..so what?

Meet Diederik Stapel...

Quote:
The two had known each other since the early ’90s, when they were Ph.D. students at the University of Amsterdam; now both were psychologists at Tilburg University. In 2010, Stapel became dean of the university’s School of Social and Behavioral Sciences and Zeelenberg head of the social psychology department.
Quote:
Stapel had committed fraud in at least 55 of his papers, as well as in 10 Ph.D. dissertations written by his students.
Point being, what they have behind there name really does not anything...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM

493 posts, read 385,738 times
An official Christian nation would just mean that the establishment clause would be gone; nothing else would change. Christianity is the most peaceful and loving and amazing religion in the world, and the main influence of Western Civilization. Plenty of official Christian countries offer greater quality of life, such as the UK, Norway, Finland, etc.

Christian nation also means that Christian symbols in public would be permitted, nothing wrong with that as it makes sense because most Americans are Christians.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Uhh, there's a difference between a Christian nation and a Christian Government. Just look at the middle Eastern countries with Sharia law.... law based on their religion with no separation between religion and government. I don't hear of anyone in the US wanting a Christian Government.
You compare Christianity with Islam?
Go study religion and come back!

http://time.com/3856484/america-christian-nation/ Read the article OP posted perhaps.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The article makes bogus points from the standpoint of someone who does not understand who Christ is.

The issues he brought up are as follows - his statements are in bold:
  • We’d Have To Abolish the 2nd Amendment. - The 2nd Amendment would not have to be abolished. Abraham had hired people for his defense. We are allowed to protect loved ones from harm.
  • We’d Have to Replace the Department of Defense with the Department of Enemy Love. - Government is allowed to defend the country. The Lord set up the nation of Israel and they had an army of people for its defense.
  • We’d Have to End Capital Punishment. - Capital punishment would definitely be on the table. The writer is trying to use the mock trial of John 8 to make his point.
  • Eradicating Poverty Would Be One of Our Most Pressing Concerns. - I agree on the poverty point, and the sick point - but on a voluntary basis - not a forced government mandate.
  • We’d Become The Most Loving Nation Toward Immigrants. - Legal immigrants - fine. Law breakers from other countries - nope. We have laws on the books on how people should become a part of our ranks.
  • We’d Pay Our Taxes Without Complaining About It. - The Bible mentions following the laws, which means paying taxes, or not paying taxes - that's the issue. We are free to complain as long as we follow the law.
All good points. But let me add that on the poverty and sick point the article says: Fortunately or unfortunately (depending which side you end up on) Jesus doesn’t give the nations a theology exam. However, he does judge them based upon whether or not they took care of the poor and vulnerable– and those who did not (professing Christians) are told to “depart.” A Christian nation would remember that feeding hungry people is one of the boxes on Jesus’s judgement day score card.

Until Johnson's New Society it was religious organizations who helped the poor and sick. 80% of our hospitals were built by religious organizations. Very nearly all programs for the poor, and orphanages were began by religious organizations. The Red Cross, Salvation Army, Feed the Children, Samaritans Purse, and on and on - ALL founded by religious organizations.

Only in the last 50 years, since the government began taking control, have healthcare costs skyrocketed, just as every other thing the government takes control of, becomes bloated and poorly managed. Until the New Society poverty was already on a downward trend yet, 50 years later and trillions of dollars wasted, poverty is at pre-Johnson era highs. So it has been a monumental failure.

If religious influence were completely wiped out we would surely turn into a USSR-like state, where the only acceptable religion would be state sanctioned (science) which we see in the beginning stages.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. It was EASILY used to justify racial discrimination and slavery....and subjugation. For centuries...not just here in America either.

I've had the verses pointed out to me, and they're legit if you're looking for a text to justify those things. Old Testament as well as New Testament.

And if you could use it justify those things THEN, you could use it NOW. The Bible hasn't changed last i remember.
False. Those who used the "bible" to justify their bigotry are NOT true Christians people it is completely against the teachings of Christ.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Making this country a Christian nation AGAIN is a scary thought.

We've dumped Slavery and Jim Crow already...two large components of Christianity, and now we're finally giving Gay rights a fair shake. Not fast enough, but we're getting there. Not to mention women's rights, suffrage, etc....

I don't wanna go back into the dark old days of being a Christian Nation.
I think you're confusing Judaism and Islam with Christianity, don't you? None of that are in the teachings of Christ.
Read the article OP posted... http://time.com/3856484/america-christian-nation/

Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
False. Those who used the "bible" to justify their bigotry are NOT true Christians people it is completely against the teachings of Christ.
Uh huh...No True Scotsman.
No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
I think you're confusing Judaism and Islam with Christianity, don't you? None of that are in the teachings of Christ.
I'm confounding nothing. It's all connected. "Christ" was a Jew that practiced Judaism. He invented no such religion called Christianity.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I don't read articles from Wikipedia.

Quote:
I'm confounding nothing. It's all connected. "Christ" was a Jew that practiced Judaism. He invented no such religion called Christianity.
Yes you are. You didn't read the article OP posted. Christian = Follower of Christ. I would be scared living under Islamic and Jewish theocracy but would love to live under Christian country. Read the Torah, Talmud and Quran lately?
UK is officially a Christian country; what's wrong with that country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies