U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
32,928 posts, read 19,891,735 times
Reputation: 12825

Advertisements

What exactly are the reasons why some of your folks hate smokers?

You can say that you don't like the smell of it leaves on people. There are PLENTY of smells in this world that people choose to apply to themselves, are you telling me that you like all of them?!

If people smoke outside, what exactly is the problem? if you are standing next to someone and they are smoking, take three steps upwind or cover your mouth and nose if you are "that" sensitive. Problem solved.

I am a non-smoker, and just like other non-smokers, I am super sensitive about cigarette smell, but so what? This world belongs to smokers too. If they choose to smoke marijuana or cigarette outside a restaurant, it is their choice. If I don't like it, I can choose to stay home.

Judging others and demonizing smokers is getting so old.

By the way, Our world is chock full of carcinogens and if you think the occasional smoker you walk past on the street is somehow going to dynamically shift your health for the worse, you're crazy.

 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:58 AM
 
15,711 posts, read 9,193,581 times
Reputation: 14155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You have no idea if his lung cancer was preventable, it could have been caused by something else or nothing at all or a combination of things.
Really? No history of cancer in our entire family, yet he gets the cancer that affects his lungs.

OK, you can think it wasn't preventable. My common sense tells me it was.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
7,454 posts, read 4,216,780 times
Reputation: 6014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
That's not the same thing. Cigarette smoke stinks! Exhaust emissions don't.
Holy Cow! Did he really say that?
Hmmm...love that exhaust.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,447 posts, read 23,847,564 times
Reputation: 7264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What exactly are the reasons why some of your folks hate smokers?

You can say that you don't like the smell of it leaves on people. There are PLENTY of smells in this world that people choose to apply to themselves, are you telling me that you like all of them?!

If people smoke outside, what exactly is the problem? if you are standing next to someone and they are smoking, take three steps upwind or cover your mouth and nose if you are "that" sensitive. Problem solved.

I am a non-smoker, and just like other non-smokers, I am super sensitive about cigarette smell, but so what? This world belongs to smokers too. If they choose to smoke marijuana or cigarette outside a restaurant, it is their choice. If I don't like it, I can choose to stay home.

Judging others and demonizing smokers is getting so old.

By the way, Our world is chock full of carcinogens and if you think the occasional smoker you walk past on the street is somehow going to dynamically shift your health for the worse, you're crazy.
Smokers tend to be nonwhite. Antismoking zeal is a way to sneak racism in through the back door while staying respectable.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
7,454 posts, read 4,216,780 times
Reputation: 6014
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't smoke. Only idiots smoke. And they can. As long as that activity doesn't interfere with me.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,065 posts, read 15,635,903 times
Reputation: 9798
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Smokers tend to be nonwhite. Antismoking zeal is a way to sneak racism in through the back door while staying respectable.
Actually no, I see a lot of whites buy cigarettes too.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,447 posts, read 23,847,564 times
Reputation: 7264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Actually no, I see a lot of whites buy cigarettes too.
I said "tend to be". There are a lot of white smokers, too. But a disproportionate number are nonwhite. Given the infestation of racists on C-D, it's not hard to see why bashing smokers is popular.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,065 posts, read 15,635,903 times
Reputation: 9798
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I said "tend to be". There are a lot of white smokers, too. But a disproportionate number are nonwhite. Given the infestation of racists on C-D, it's not hard to see why bashing smokers is popular.
There would be non whites buying zig zags when I worked at a gas station but most smokers bought packaged cigarettes and almost all were in fact white.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Aztlan
2,686 posts, read 1,406,582 times
Reputation: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Given the infestation of racists on C-D, it's not hard to see why bashing smokers is popular.
I have noticed that there are a lot of Democrats here.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,269 posts, read 18,807,112 times
Reputation: 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
That's not the same thing. Cigarette smoke stinks! Exhaust emissions don't.
Please, come down to South Carolina and get behind one of our "oldest in the country" school buses! We don't have emissions testing anywhere in the state and you will smell it on the road and it is worse than any cigarette I've ever sat next to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top