Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,797 times

Advertisements

So I'm leaving the hospital this morning after my doctor appointment and as I come out one of the entrances there's a big overhead canopy supported by four large metal pillars. On each pillar is a sign that reads "No Smoking Tobacco Free Campus." Leaning on the end of one of those pillars some old scruffy looking dude smoking a cigarette. I looked at him and said ; "I'm glad you can read."

Why is it that smokers, (not all but a good many), have total disregard for people around them or the property they're on? I've also been out in public where someone will just throw a cigarette butt on the ground before they go into a building instead of taking a few steps over to an ash tray. I wonder what those people would say if other smokers came into their house and threw cigarette butts on the carpet or hardwood floors.

Concerning private property, the property's owners have the right to make and enforce rules. For example, I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun, however, if I enter a piece of property where the owner or management does not allow guns on the premises then permit or not I cannot bring mine. So why do smokers feel that "No Smoking" doesn't apply to them.

Odds are this old guy that I saw was probably at the hospital because he's got health issues from smoking in the first place.

I would love to see a $5 tax placed on cigarette on top of what they already cost. I applaud employers that refuse to hire smokers because of insurance costs. If people want to smoke cigarettes then fine, but treat their health insurance like auto insurance where its based on an individual instead of everyone's health insurance costs going up to pay for a few.

For those that get lung cancer from smoking, you will never get my sympathy

Old 05-13-2015, 03:05 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
That's not easy to say when it's a friend or family member.

Smoking and over-eating are hard habits to break that will come back to haunt you - even if you think you've quit in time. I lost 2 dear friends their 50's last year to the effects of smoking and being overweight. The only time other's habits really bother me is when they impact me - running the smokey gauntlet to get into an office building or sitting beside an obese person in economy.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:09 PM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
So I'm leaving the hospital this morning after my doctor appointment and as I come out one of the entrances there's a big overhead canopy supported by four large metal pillars. On each pillar is a sign that reads "No Smoking Tobacco Free Campus." Leaning on the end of one of those pillars some old scruffy looking dude smoking a cigarette. I looked at him and said ; "I'm glad you can read."

Why is it that smokers, (not all but a good many), have total disregard for people around them or the property they're on? I've also been out in public where someone will just throw a cigarette butt on the ground before they go into a building instead of taking a few steps over to an ash tray. I wonder what those people would say if other smokers came into their house and threw cigarette butts on the carpet or hardwood floors.

Concerning private property, the property's owners have the right to make and enforce rules. For example, I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun, however, if I enter a piece of property where the owner or management does not allow guns on the premises then permit or not I cannot bring mine. So why do smokers feel that "No Smoking" doesn't apply to them.

Odds are this old guy that I saw was probably at the hospital because he's got health issues from smoking in the first place.

I would love to see a $5 tax placed on cigarette on top of what they already cost. I applaud employers that refuse to hire smokers because of insurance costs. If people want to smoke cigarettes then fine, but treat their health insurance like auto insurance where its based on an individual instead of everyone's health insurance costs going up to pay for a few.

Odd thing is that I have built, remodeled, done additions on many existing hospitals.

Before many, if not most, made themselves Smoke Free Campuses the overwhelming majority of those outside smoking were the Doctors, Nurses, Radiologists, etc..

This was not long ago.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:12 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,440,989 times
Smoking rates by race;

Percent of Adults who Smoke by Race/Ethnicity | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Interesting,
The lowest rates are among Hispanics and in Utah, Puerto Rico, California, Hawaii, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Texas.
The highest rates are in West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Yes, I agree that in this era of so many people with a sense of entitlement, MOST of the smokers I have encountered are very selfish and self-centered. It is as though they think that their smoking won't hurt anyone, and that their cigarette butts and discarded cigarette packs are not really trash. It especially galls me when I see parents smoking in cars with small children also inside and the windows closed, except for the smoker's window so she or he can toss their cigarette butt out.

I used to volunteer at a food bank, and so many people would come in to collect free food that they supposedly could not afford, although they COULD afford cigarettes, tattoos, expensive manicures, and expensive sports apparel. It was especially maddening to see these people with their kids in tow.

And how many people do you think have paid enough out of their own pockets (including insurance premiums) to pay for their expensive operations necessitated by their smoking? I would think that it would not be very many, as poorer people are much more likely to smoke than those who are more educated and have higher incomes. (In 2008, a Gallup poll showed that people making less than $24,000 annually were more than twice as likely to smoke as those making more than $60,000 per year.) So, once again, it is a matter of people who have made good choices paying for those who have made poor choices.

Okay, so, yes, I also have a sense of entitlement and I am also selfish and self-centered . . . because I definitely feel that I should be entitled to live in a healthy environment ,and I also believe that I should not have to pay higher insurance premiums and higher taxes to support those who are poor and/or unhealthy because of their own bad choices!

And for those who say that addictions are not a choice, I counter with the fact that very few people were actually FORCED to smoke or snort cocaine (or whatever); they chose to do so.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Quote:

What I hate is going into or out of a health facility with my oxygen-dependent bride, on a scooter, for health reasons NOT caused by smoking...and having to go through some smoking moron's cloud.

I do have sympathy for these poor souls, as well as those committing suicide with fork and spoon, or cases of beer, although I do not understand the impulse for self-destruction.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:50 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:

Lifetime healthcare bills for individuals that smoke or don't smoke are typically the same, if not lower for smokers whom tend to keel over pretty early in life. Healthy people live much longer and eventually aren't healthy.

Additionally, smokers put much less pressure on social security and pensions for obvious reasons.

As far a smoking goes, the impact on their health insurance rates would vary with age. No real difference at young ages and larger differences at older ages.

While I find smoking to be a nauseating habit, if you want to talk about the financial ramifications then you have to think about all of them.

It's a pretty complicated topic....especially when you get into 2nd hand smoke.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:

You should be ashamed of yourself.

No one in our family smokes, and we wouldn't allow friends to smoke in our home if they were smokers, but anyone who gets cancer--smokers, the overweight (obesity can lead to cancer), those addicted to sugar (cancer loves sugar), the "promiscuous" (yes, that's a risk factor for certain cancers), etc. will continue to get my understanding, support and, yes, sympathy should they end up with that damn disease.

Did you serve in combat? I bet that "scruffy old dude" did, and I bet it was at a time when cigarettes were passed out to troops. Everyone is not strong enough to kick their habits, whether it's smoking, drinking, or even doing drugs.

You, sir, are rude, as evidenced by your comment to that man. The fact that he was smoking where he shouldn't have been smoking isn't even the point. Do what the rest of us do when we encounter that, act like an adult, and suck it up.

I guess it takes all kinds.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:37 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
Op, I'm guessing this was an "older person" living in the past like it's still 1985 and you can smoke almost anywhere. Like a lot of people who are living in the past on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies