Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:54 AM

78,396 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hillary Clinton may be many things, but one of them is Not being Stupid. She is a very smart woman and the GOP should keep that in mind, there is a reason why there are some any attacks from the right on her, she scares the GOP Leadership to death because unlike what many want to believe she stands a darn good chance of winning the Whitehouse and we all know You Know Who will be laughing his arse off as he moves into the First Mans office, some Cons would jump out of windows if that happened. Take her serious or pay the price.
Frankly, if she wins....the cons win because underneath all her BS she's got a long track record of being a corporatist that doesn't give a crap about the little guy. Politically she's a heckuva lot closer to Bush II than Obama. The far right may gnash teeth and ***** but if that makes you feel good while she helps pass republican legislation like Bill did (NAFTA? Bank deregulation?) then you're being foolish.

Also, don't kid yourself. Hillary has major distrust from both blacks stemming from an ugly primary fight where it got bad enough that her, Bill and her supporters were being called racist. This little stunt lamenting the incarceration rate....something Bill recently admitted is partially his fault...is nothing more than trying to win over black democrats so she doesn't get beat in the primaries (again).

It's a cheap ploy as she pores over polls looking for issues important to democratic primary voters and then lies about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Frankly, if she wins....the cons win because underneath all her BS she's got a long track record of being a corporatist that doesn't give a crap about the little guy. Politically she's a heckuva lot closer to Bush II than Obama. The far right may gnash teeth and ***** but if that makes you feel good while she helps pass republican legislation like Bill did (NAFTA? Bank deregulation?) then you're being foolish.

Also, don't kid yourself. Hillary has major distrust from both blacks stemming from an ugly primary fight where it got bad enough that her, Bill and her supporters were being called racist. This little stunt lamenting the incarceration rate....something Bill recently admitted is partially his fault...is nothing more than trying to win over black democrats so she doesn't get beat in the primaries (again).

It's a cheap ploy as she pores over polls looking for issues important to democratic primary voters and then lies about them.

ITA with this about Hilary. I'm a black independent voter and I agree especially with the bold above. The stuff that came out in 2008 about she and Bill was what drove black voters to Obama. I know a lot of prominent black Democrats and the majority of them were behind Hillary and not Obama in 2008, thinking he was "young" and would get another opportunity and they were placing their support behind Hillary until the stories about their racism. I personally feel she has too many issues. I am keeping it up in the air right now about who I vote for as, I will be honest and state, I do think on economic terms and other issues she would be a better president that the majority of the GOP field and even though I shouldn't, I usually do vote for the "lessor of two evils." But I am still hoping the Dems will come out with a better candidate than her. I am kind of sick of Clintons and Bushes. For the majority of my life either a Bush or a Clinton was president (I am mid 30s).

Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Follow the Bigger Money

The private prison lobby is alive and well at the federal and state level. They put their money into killing private prison legislation, strict drug laws and detention of illegal immigrants.

The largest, Correctional Corp of America ( CCA), publicly- traded, has an open offer to all states to take over prisons in exchange for an up front cash infusion. They require a 20 year contract and a guaranteed minimum occupancy rate of 90%. Reportedly, over time, it costs the states more to incarcerate via private prison, than a DIY but that one time cash infusion is becoming harder to resist.

About 20% of the federal prison population is held in privately managed prisons.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 AM

78,396 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with this about Hilary. I'm a black independent voter and I agree especially with the bold above. The stuff that came out in 2008 about she and Bill was what drove black voters to Obama. I know a lot of prominent black Democrats and the majority of them were behind Hillary and not Obama in 2008, thinking he was "young" and would get another opportunity and they were placing their support behind Hillary until the stories about their racism. I personally feel she has too many issues. I am keeping it up in the air right now about who I vote for as, I will be honest and state, I do think on economic terms and other issues she would be a better president that the majority of the GOP field and even though I shouldn't, I usually do vote for the "lessor of two evils." But I am still hoping the Dems will come out with a better candidate than her. I am kind of sick of Clintons and Bushes. For the majority of my life either a Bush or a Clinton was president (I am mid 30s).
I don't vote in primaries as I am unaffiliated and my vote for president is meaningless since I live in Kansas.

As a result, I'm much more inclined to protest vote for the green party or libertarian or some other 3rd party candidate....something I've done in 2004 and 2012.

The candidates pay attention to the polls. Even just NOT voting sends a message to candidates that you feel don't do anything other than lie to you and then do the opposite in office.

So, consider those options if you aren't in a close electoral state...it's sending a message.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Follow the Bigger Money

The private prison lobby is alive and well at the federal and state level. They put their money into killing private prison legislation, strict drug laws and detention of illegal immigrants.

The largest, Correctional Corp of America ( CCA), publicly- traded, has an open offer to all states to take over prisons in exchange for an up front cash infusion. They require a 20 year contract and a guaranteed minimum occupancy rate of 90%. Reportedly, over time, it costs the states more to incarcerate via private prison, than a DIY but that one time cash infusion is becoming harder to resist.

About 20% of the federal prison population is held in privately managed prisons.
I have always said that I'm against the idea of private/for profit prisons. There are some areas where you don't want a profit motive in operation, and this is one of them.

By the same token however, I cannot seem to get liberals to admit that we should not want the normal dynamics of public sector unionization in operation when it comes to prisons. The public sector union is basically a kickback scheme where contracts are negotiated with the union on one side of the table, and the politico whom they just helped elect on the other side.

I have run across a few liberal sources that acknowledge the problem.
Big Labor's Lock 'Em Up Mentality | Mother Jones

Quote:
Yet whether prisons are public or private, preserving jobs generally means locking away as many people as possible for as long as possible—contrary to the goal of reducing mass incarceration. California's prison guards union, for example, was one of the primary sponsors of the proposition that brought about Three Strikes in the 1990s. In the aughts, the union opposed parole reform and vigorously campaigned to defeat politicians it regarded as soft on crime.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:48 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Hillary Clinton may be many things, but one of them is Not being Stupid. She is a very smart woman and the GOP should keep that in mind, there is a reason why there are some any attacks from the right on her, she scares the GOP Leadership to death because unlike what many want to believe she stands a darn good chance of winning the Whitehouse and we all know You Know Who will be laughing his arse off as he moves into the First Mans office, some Cons would jump out of windows if that happened. Take her serious or pay the price.
Also, the right should always remember that its own candidates are not running against just Hillary. It's Billary. He's no dummy either. And in today's world, he is considered the best President in the last 3 decades (at least). 2 against 1 is never fair.

Mick

Old 05-14-2015, 09:51 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:

Hillary has a good chance. Why? For the same reasons Obama was elected twice:

1. The average IQ of an American is 96

2. People do not know their own governor, senator, and congressman.

3. Most people do not pay attention to the news, and have no idea about all of the crooked activities Hillary has been involved in.

4. The majority of Americans have some dependency on the federal government. More poor people= more democrats.

5. People have forgotten (or never knew) that Bill ushered through NAFTA, China trade policies, and repeal of Glass-Steagle.

6. Americans feel it is more important to have a woman president than a competent one (see Obama).

Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
One of the reasons violent crime rate in America is steadily dropping is because we have incarcerated the right people.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hillary has a good chance. Why? For the same reasons Obama was elected twice:

5. People have forgotten (or never knew) that Bill ushered through NAFTA, China trade policies, and repeal of Glass-Steagle.
People have forgotten ( or never knew) that NAFTA, China Trade Policies and repeal of a portion of Glass- Steagle were all solid long term Republican initiatives.

I am no fan of Hillary. If she wins, it will be because the GOP and the money that backs them have decided it's in their best interest to do so.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
People have forgotten ( or never knew) that NAFTA, China Trade Policies and repeal of a portion of Glass- Steagle were all solid long term Republican initiatives.

I am no fan of Hillary. If she wins, it will be because the GOP and the money that backs them have decided it's in their best interest to do so.

Really?

Bill supported NAFTA, China trade policies, and repeal of Glass-Steagle. There were not enough democrats to pass any one of the above without Bill's support in convincing them to vote "his" way. Go back and look at the votes- none of these would have happened without Bill's support.

Clinton is the father of these policies and it is his legacy.

There is more money for democrat candidates than republican (see the last five elections). If Hillary wins, it will be because the big democrat donors and the lobbyists support her.

I wonder what part of America's interest the Clintons will sell for cash if she does become president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies