Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 03:25 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And having to have an abortion is a consequence.
Which should be absorbed by the person making the decision, not society.

I don't think I have ever seen so many rare, one off, excuses from one person to try and justify what seems like zero restriction on abortions.

I'll have to remember your veracity to use unlikely examples to justify your position the next time gun control comes up.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
And many women don't have insurance to cover an abortion.
I understand. I was simply pointing out to the "no public funding" crowd that their insurance premiums might already have paid for abortion services, particularly for late-term, hospital terminations.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Then what are you talking about when you want to "make it more accessible" Do you want to promote uber in rural areas? Force doctors and hospitals to do procedures against their will and beliefs? How do we make it "more accessible" without using tax payer dollars to do that?

All states allow for a juror to postpone their jury service for a period of time, the women in your example should have rescheduled to a time her husband is home. Even the court near me provides free childcare to jurors.
You need to review my posts. "Make it more accessible" was not a remark made by me.

The woman in my example did ask to postpone jury duty. Her request was denied. The judge determined that her hiring a babysitter did not pose a hardship. The woman's fellow jurors ended up taking a collection because they understood her predicament, if the judge did not.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:29 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
At 20 weeks, the fetus is as long as a banana and is likely viable outside the womb.
Abortionists are so sick/hellbent on destroying life that, even if technology progressed so much that embryos were able to be extracted from a woman's body and grown in an incubator, etc., they would still be against it on the same "its her body" argument. Quite frankly, its sickening.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Which should be absorbed by the person making the decision, not society.

I don't think I have ever seen so many rare, one off, excuses from one person to try and justify what seems like zero restriction on abortions.

I'll have to remember your veracity to use unlikely examples to justify your position the next time gun control comes up.
You keep on making presumptions about me. And you keep on being wrong.

A real-life scenario isn't "excuses". These kinds of situations happen in real life.

As for veracity, what lies have I told.

(And I don't advocate for gun control. Darn! You missed the target again!)

Old 05-14-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
You need to review my posts. "Make it more accessible" was not a remark made by me.

The woman in my example did ask to postpone jury duty. Her request was denied. The judge determined that her hiring a babysitter did not pose a hardship. The woman's fellow jurors ended up taking a collection because they understood her predicament, if the judge did not.
You make the request for continuance before you ever get to a courtroom, read your next jury summons, you'll see the option.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
You keep on making presumptions about me. And you keep on being wrong.

A real-life scenario isn't "excuses". These kinds of situations happen in real life.

As for veracity, what lies have I told.

(And I don't advocate for gun control. Darn! You missed the target again!)
A real life scenario that actually doesn't happen besides maybe a handful of times to the tune of an exceptionally small % of occurrences is not the best way to decide policy. Why not use some equally rare example of how an abortion is killing someone that will grow up to cure a form of cancer and save thousands of lives or killing an unborn baby prevents another person from growing up and being a doctor and provided healthcare to the poor. Both of these are possibilities, the second more likely than the first, but I am not using them as a reason to further restrict abortion like you are using similar rare examples as a means for unlimited access to abortion.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
And yet many ARE available for adoption. Where are these thousands of eager-to-parent couples?
They aren't permitted to marry.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:39 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:

Abortion isn't a convenience. It's a difficult, sometimes heart-rending decision that a woman has to make when she considers the impact that a pregnancy will have on her life. And the impact can be severe and terrible. Most women already have children. They are fully aware and appreciative of the miracle of life. They are also fully aware of the costs and burden that come with pregnancy, childbirth and raising a child. They are often considering the welfare of the children the already have, when they consider abortion. They aren't being irresponsible. And it's not selfish to consider yourself and your loved ones in these situations. It is the responsible, moral and intelligent thing to do.
I am SO sorry that I cannot give you another rep point for the above.

I am so weary of reading posts that imply that the great majority of women who have abortions do so with the same amount of soul-searching involved in making a dentist appointment.

YES, some women do treat having an abortion very casually, and many abortions are the result of casual and consensual sex. However, that is by no means true for ALL women, and I just wish that more people would realize that.

The situation of a couple who decides to terminate a pregnancy due to a VERY severe birth defect or a devastating inherited disease when they had been looking forward to having a healthy son or daughter is very different from that of a 21-year-old "party" girl who became pregnant and doesn't know which of her partners was the father. (And I am not saying this to condemn the "party girl" -- although I think such behavior shows very poor judgment -- but to say that pregnancy/abortion situations are not all the same.)

Old 05-14-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
You make the request for continuance before you ever get to a courtroom, read your next jury summons, you'll see the option.
Hopefully, that will be the case.

However, in the four times I've served jury duty in the past, and the fifth time I was called, there was no such option. You REALLY need to become aware that just because things are done a certain way in your backyard, that people live in other parts of the country, and the rules are different in different places. Where I live, it is mandatory when you are called to jury duty to attend the jury duty orientation. A warrant will be issued if you don't attend. The only acceptable excuse for not attending is death or impending death. At that time, the judge asks people who wish to be excused from duty to raise their hands and explain why. In front of everyone else. I've heard people claim to be deaf (the courts have various equipment to assist the hearing impaired), or to be hardcore racists (the courts will consider their racism if the defendants should happen to of a different race from the potential juror), or to be related to police officers (that will also be considered if a particular police department is involved in a case), or to be too poor (not an acceptable excuse), or too sick (pending a doctor's report, illness will be considered), or to speak no English (the court will advise the potential juror if no acceptable translator can be found), and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies