Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,782,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, I'm saying late term the fetus is viable and can be delivered.
At 20-23 weeks a fetus is not viable. If a woman finds out she has cancer and needs to undergo treatment she can either choose to undergo treatment while pregnant and potentially cause harm or death to the fetus or she can have a late term abortion after 20 weeks. And any delivery for a woman is serious. Contrary to what many know, maternal mortality is still an issue in this country.

No doctors in the US will deliver and offer life sustaining treatment to a 20 week old fetus. I know someone who desperately wanted a 22 week 3 day old fetus to be born and she had many weeks of bed rest due to a health condition that could potentially take her life, but she wanted the baby and unfortunately the measures taken to keep her pregnant to 24 weeks did not work and the hospital did not provide treatment to the baby born at 22 weeks 3 days due to the baby not being viable. The baby died within an hour of being born.

Many of you don't seem to realize that hospitals are money making machines. If a woman and her husband face these sorts of medical decisions an abortion is usually provided as a option and many times is the preferred option based on suffering of either the child or mother upon birth or due to cost. Hospitals aren't going to waste money on a non-viable extremely premature infant. It can cost in the millions of dollars to keep a baby alive born at 24 weeks. They have to stay in the hospital in most cases for 3-4 months.

Also sepsis and infections are issues that can cause a woman to die without a late term abortion. There was a pretty high profile case in Ireland a few years ago Woman Dies in Galway After Being Denied an Abortion.

FWIW, the friend I mentioned above almost died of the same thing. She desperately wanted the baby though and took extreme risks to try to get to viability. She almost died but she fainted and her husband, who didn't want her to die, made the choice for them to take the baby via c-section to save her life. She was ill for over a month afterwards recovering from infection.

ETA: I am a member of a mothering support group and we have 3-4 mothers who have had to have late term abortions and the one mentioned above had this same scenario happen twice. This is being shared to reiterate that abortion is not a political issue. It is a personal thing between a woman, her partner, and her medical providers. Late term abortions are practically always for medical reasons and there are still ways for a pregnancy to potentially take the life of a mother. Especially mothers who had specific illnesses prior to pregnancy or due to infection/sepcis as well.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,799,023 times
Quote:
Nobody said it was a guarantee that any baby survives. What I said was there was no case where they must be killed.
If the doctor determines the fetus is not viable, and abortion is the safest course for the woman, then a woman is entitled to make that choice. When woman have already been pregnant for six months, it's because they chose earlier in the pregnancy not to end the pregnancy. Something has to change drastically to make them decide to end the pregnancy. And I respect women to be able to make these decisions.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:43 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
At 20-23 weeks a fetus is not viable. If a woman finds out she has cancer and needs to undergo treatment she can either choose to undergo treatment while pregnant and potentially cause harm or death to the fetus or she can have a late term abortion after 20 weeks. And any delivery for a woman is serious. Contrary to what many know, maternal mortality is still an issue in this country.
There has been a wide range of discussions here. No one has taken any actions that would ban abortions at 20 weeks and when they actually do, it's then discuss-able. I've explained why this law does absolutely nothing.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If the doctor determines the fetus is not viable, and abortion is the safest course for the woman, then a woman is entitled to make that choice. When woman have already been pregnant for six months, it's because they chose earlier in the pregnancy not to end the pregnancy. Something has to change drastically to make them decide to end the pregnancy. And I respect women to be able to make these decisions.
There is no medical reason why the fetus must be killed. Yes, legally they can just kill it.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
There has been a wide range of discussions here. No one has taken any actions that would ban abortions at 20 weeks and when they actually do, it's then discuss-able. I've explained why this law does absolutely nothing.
Certainly some states have taken actions to ban abortions at 20 weeks and even earlier.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
There is no medical reason why the fetus must be killed. Yes, legally they can just kill it.
If a doctor recommends terminating the pregnancy for the sake of the woman's life or health, the presumption would be that there is a medical reason. If the fetus is not viable, and the pregnancy is terminated, then a non-viable fetus is killed.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Certainly some states have taken actions to ban abortions at 20 weeks and even earlier.
Supreme Court isn't going to uphold anything before 20 weeks. RvW sets it at viability. That is earlier and earlier all the time but not there yet.

World's Smallest and Youngest Preemies

Would a court side with a little earlier and say it was giving the benefit of the doubt? Maybe.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If a doctor recommends terminating the pregnancy for the sake of the woman's life or health, the presumption would be that there is a medical reason.
Nope. Doe v Bolton ruled that a "health" exemption must include any reason. "I no longer want to be a mother" is a legit health exemption and why this law does nothing. It's why the Hyde Amendment excluded "health" and only gave the life exemption.

Quote:
If the fetus is not viable, and the pregnancy is terminated, then a non-viable fetus is killed.
I never argued they don't kill it. I said they do not have to.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Supreme Court isn't going to uphold anything before 20 weeks. RvW sets it at viability. That is earlier and earlier all the time but not there yet.

World's Smallest and Youngest Preemies

Would a court side with a little earlier and say it was giving the benefit of the doubt? Maybe.
And still some states have enacted legislation for 20 weeks or earlier.

And the House of Representatives is now shooting for 20 weeks.

Last edited by DC at the Ridge; 05-20-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Nope. Doe v Bolton ruled that a "health" exemption must include any reason. "I no longer want to be a mother" is a legit health exemption and why this law does nothing. It's why the Hyde Amendment excluded "health" and only gave the life exemption.

I never argued they don't kill it. I said they do not have to.
If the doctor recommends, presumably the doctor's recommendation is based on HEALTH reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies