Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Today's Republican party and conservatives are not winning anything, in any way, shape or form. Their ideology and party is imploding as we speak. Their policies are not as effective as progressive policies, despite what you may have been told.

I left the Republican party a few years ago and I'm never going back. They have no concept of separation of church and state. They have no concept of cooperation in order to achieve big things. They have no concept of shared prosperity. They continue to fight super hard to prevent same sex marriage. They haven't done a SINGLE THING to directly benefit the poor. They continue to label the poor as lazy leeches.

I am 100% certain that Democrats will win BIG time in 2016 and will take over the House, the Senate and the presidency. The rapidly shifting demographics of this country, as well as the extremely difficult path to getting enough electoral votes to win, will prevent Republicans from winning again, unless they change their ideology/platform.

My hope is that Bernie Sanders wins the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 05:16 PM

231 posts, read 171,611 times
Still waiting for that shrinking part.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:18 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
That's a meaningless chart.

As a nation's population grows, so shall total government spending.

Duh.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:18 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Conservatives (based on past results) aren't for small gov't, they want fewer social services like welfare and food stamps and more military and prisons. The deficit increased under Reagan and both Bushes while declining under Clinton. Deficits have remained high under Obama though.

Today's choices are...

Big gov't militaristic Christian theocracy

or

European style big gov't with tons of social services and high taxes to pay for them

I'm waiting for a small gov't candidate that's socially progressive and not anti environment.
I was with you until you brought up European style government. That is not what democrats are proposing. Only people like maybe Bernie Sanders, but he is an outlier-- and until recently wasn't even a democrat, but an independent.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Population size in addition to the increasing cost of medical care(people live longer and demand more expensive medical technology and obesity and other lifestyle diseases) are the main drivers for increased spending. Not necessarily because of more spending in the general sense.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's a meaningless chart.

As a nation's population grows, so shall total government spending.

Duh.
The trend is your friend.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Instead of increasing the size of the nanny state to match the welfare state, we should just be shrinking the welfare state and the nanny state will follow.

A recent report has indicated the cost of regulation is around 1.5 trillion dollars per year. Government is preventing this country from being successful.
I agree, but I just don't think that a shrinking of the welfare state is in the cards. We have a whole generation that believes in tooth fairy economics, that the government should provide them with free college, health care, cell phone, get them a job, get them a house, transport them, and entertain them.

50% of all US births are now funded via Medicaid. Pres. Obama ran on this (see the 'life of Julia' ad) and he won.

To the extent that we can dismantle the welfare state, I'm happy to dismantle the nanny state, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Today's Republican party and conservatives are not winning anything, in any way, shape or form. Their ideology and party is imploding as we speak. Their policies are not as effective as progressive policies, despite what you may have been told.

I left the Republican party a few years ago and I'm never going back. They have no concept of separation of church and state. They have no concept of cooperation in order to achieve big things. They have no concept of shared prosperity. They continue to fight super hard to prevent same sex marriage. They haven't done a SINGLE THING to directly benefit the poor. They continue to label the poor as lazy leeches.

I am 100% certain that Democrats will win BIG time in 2016 and will take over the House, the Senate and the presidency. The rapidly shifting demographics of this country, as well as the extremely difficult path to getting enough electoral votes to win, will prevent Republicans from winning again, unless they change their ideology/platform.

My hope is that Bernie Sanders wins the election.
Why were you a republican in the past?

Old 05-14-2015, 05:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
The trend is your friend.
Not only that, but until the late 1960's defense was 40-50% of federal spending. Now it's around 20%, So if you take that out of the picture, the incline would be even sharper.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I agree, but I just don't think that a shrinking of the welfare state is in the cards. We have a whole generation that believes in tooth fairy economics, that the government should provide them with free college, health care, cell phone, get them a job, get them a house, transport them, and entertain them.

50% of all US births are now funded via Medicaid. Pres. Obama ran on this (see the 'life of Julia' ad) and he won.

To the extent that we can dismantle the welfare state, I'm happy to dismantle the nanny state, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.
I expect it'll overshoot at some point. You can't have total government spending over GDP, at least for very long, so you'll likely see some sort of upper limit reached and then a slight retrenchment.

Where's that? Denmark is at around 50% of GDP for government spending I think, so that's probably a reasonable upper limit.

It'll all blow up, of course. I can't see any permanence in these systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies