Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
For those of you who support some drug legalization, would you prefer to have every drug legalized and for sale at a drug store location, or would rather have some remain illegal/prescription only?

I think I would prefer that cocaine/crack remained illegal. I think that that drug is probably the worst one there is, no real medical benefit and a HUGE urge to redose. Most previous users from what I've read look back on their binges on crack as horrible decisions, moreso than people who used opiates or some other drug they got addicted to. Also a lot of people die from ODing from injecting too much. People are curious, but I think crack/cocaine should not be a legal option when making the choice to try a stimulant.

Also I think I would keep both meth and heroin illegal as there are safer, better, less intense alternatives. I would support legalizing lighter opiates like hydrocodone and possibly oxycotin, but not heroin. Likewise with meth, I would support legalizing some of the lighter stimulants, but meth is so intense and is neurotoxic, I feel it should remain illegal.
You are confusing the issues in three ways;

1. Legalization does not mean without a prescription.

2. Making a drug illegal does not reduce its use.

3. Most, if not all, drugs have a use. Google "medical use of cocaine" and other drugs.

Last edited by Roadking2003; 05-15-2015 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Meth, it is a filthy and addictive drug.
So don't use it.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
If I had to say it would be meth! At least for the crude methods in which is made, which poses a threat to not only the person making it, but those who live in close proximity to a meth lab. We had a guy in our neighborhood across the street cooking it, and given that we're in a townhouse, I could only imagine what would have happened if the s*** blew up! It wouldn't have been pretty.

Other than that... leave people to their vices and only lock them up only if their actions cause harm to others.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I dont care what it is, the government should have no say as to what people put in their own bodies.
And a lot of the more heineous drugs would fall out of favor with decriminalization.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
The moment that happens, big pharma will begin inventing products that you really don't want on the market.
Shouldn't the market decide that?

Old 05-15-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The way I see it, as long as I am not on the hook for the consequences, it's your body and your choice. That goes for everything from Meth and heroin to caffeine and skittles.

The more I am on the hook for the consequences, the more I want controls in place. That also goes for everything from meth and heroin to caffeine and skittles.
How about sugar? and motorcycles? and fishing poles? You wouldn't want to be on the hook for my broken ankle while jogging would you?

Old 05-15-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Meth. Its just too addicting and messed up. The difference I would say is I want the dealers executed, and the users sentenced to a rehab facility, not punished.
IF all drugs were legal there would be very little reason to be a drug dealer.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Ok, but people have a tendency to go big their first time. Look at 21st birthdays, most people don't just drink a few sips for them.
Millions of us never "went big" on our 21st birthday. That's a false assumption.

Quote:
Since meth, crack, and heroin are the "big dawgs on the block", people might want to try them first, and these drugs can mess people up with just a first time.
There is no evidence that one time use causes addiction. In fact, lots of people use drugs and never get "messed up".

Quote:
Better not to have them as options. That being said though, the hard core addicts won't change regardless of what you do.
They have always and will always be options. Legal or illegal, they are options. And not just for hard core addicts.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM

781 posts, read 736,307 times
No restrictions. Not the government's job to save people from themselves. Their only legitimate function is to protect it's citizens from those who initiate the use of physical force (and only those who initiated its use) by means of retaliatory physical force. Government most especially should be banned from initiating the use of physical force for any reason whatsoever. Physical force is legitimate only for defense and/or punishment/retaliation against those who initiate in the first place.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:56 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
It seems logical to keep harmful hard drugs illegal. The problem is prohibition has been proven over and over to not work. There must be a better solution.

Drug usage that has developed into a problem in one's personal life is a health problem, not a legal problem. It seems to me to approach the problem from that angle makes more sense. Other countries have done this, and we could look to them to see what works and what doesn't.

Then you could use a campaign of advertising and other types of education to teach the pitfalls of hard drug use (as long as the campaign used TRUTH, not the propaganda or scare techniques that we've become so accustomed to). That should be effective, because the quite gullible public seems to buy into anything the government or media tells them.
There is a "middle ground" between legalization and prohibition: decriminalization. Full decriminalization would essentially turn the current black market into a "grey market." It would have some of the benefits of legalization (e.g., not pointlessly and expensively putting drug users in prison, reallocation of law enforcement resources) and some of the drawbacks of prohibition (e.g., unregulated substances, involvement of criminal orgs., etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies