U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 AM

21,232 posts, read 14,261,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
  • Some say $15/hour should be minimum paid to anyone working in USA.
  • Others say $20/hour is even better.
  • Government mandated minimum wage according to this theory, makes society better.
  • Then why not increase it a lot more... say to $1000/hour and make it a paradise for everyone? Everyone can live like a CEO, sports star, or even live like a national politician.

One the other hand, If $1000/hour mandated minimum wage sounds like nonsense, then why is $15/$25/etc not nonsense?
Try hard not to be thick. There is a difference between $4 dollars and $985 per hour. Everyone knows that much. Your premise is false, so any discussion is empty.

You could have begun with a reasonable figure, which would have led to a reasonable discussion. Instead of baking a cake, you started out with a lump of smoldering charcoal and expect comments about its bitterness vs. its sweetness. Since no one eats charcoal regularly, try harder next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 07:43 AM

18,543 posts, read 9,541,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
lifeexplorer is correct here, he beat me to it.

The economic realities of any business do not allow them to pay more than the market rate for anything.....rent, supplies, utilities, labor,....it all has to add up to a sustainable business model.

So if the costs increase on any expenditure, they have to be made up somplace else to maintain sustainability.

The Left's problem is they think that minimum wage is an issue of morality when reality demands that it's an issue of economics.
The issue is also about morality even for the people on the right. Why should the government force us to pay for above fair market rate?

How is that in anyway moral?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think $7.25 is too low, and anyone offering it should be ashamed. If companies are so greedy that they don't want to pay more, or if their business model is so bad that they can't pay more, then let them go out of business. If employees are laid off then that is unfortunate, but it makes more sense to allow that to happen than to allow employers to continue paying the same wage that they did 4 years ago. In any case, in spite of all the threats about layoffs by employers there have never been large numbers of layoffs due to minimum wage increases and I don't think that would happen now.

Personally, I don't do business with any company paying those kind of wages, even my local hardware store pays their employees over $11 an hour and their parking lot is constantly full at times they are busier than the local Home Depot, and a good number of people who shop there are like me, they want to reward responsible ethical companies. And I already told you twice that I think minimum wage increases should be adjusted regionally according to the cost of living.
LOL. Let me say this again. It's not the employers don't want to pay more, it is that the position or work isn't worth that much.

Any prudent person including you would not pay more than above fair market rate, would you?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 05-18-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Inflation is defined as a sustained increase in the general level of prices for goods and services. It is measured as an annual percentage increase. As inflation rises, every dollar you own buys a smaller percentage of a good or service.

Read more: Inflation: What Is Inflation? | Investopedia
Follow us: @Investopedia on Twitter

Clearly inflation does not mean raising the price of a hamburger by 10 cents, does it?
It surely does!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Is it? In-n-out does it, they must have decided to do so on moral grounds, but we can't let morality get in the way of greed, not when there are 4.4 billion in net profit at stake, right?
Who are you again? A board member of in-n-out? I don't know anything about in-n-out. I have no comment why they choose to pay certain wage. It's their freedom. As long as the government is not dictating the wage, I am fine with them paying even $1000/hour.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Everything you just said would have made perfect sense 30 years ago, but not now. There are people working for minimum wage who formerly held better jobs and have to take what they can get because those jobs are gone I think the real impact of a minimum wage increase will be the "upstream increases" for hourly workers making more than the minimum wage and possibly supporting a family. An increase for them from $10 to $10.50 or $11 could make a big impact on their lives, particularly if they are supporting a family.

You can thank NAFTA CAFTA and every other lame trade agreement for where we are, but blaming won't bring the jobs back but that is no excuse to allow employers to continue paying what they paid 4 years ago. And I don't need simplified examples of fixed income etc. I took plenty of economics classes in college, the simple fact is that a company making 4.4 billion net profit CAN afford to pay their employees more, and if they won't then I think it's appropriate to make them do it.
We can't stay isolated, can we?

As we are going global, the more you push for the minimum wage, the more jobs will go to oversea. How can we compete with "slave wage" in India with our $10-$15/hour? Instead of pushing for the minimum wage, we should be pushing people to learn and upgrade their skills and work ethics.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 AM

29,052 posts, read 15,309,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I would like some evidence that min wage is only for students, people looking for second jobs, retiree and people starting out because when I researched min wage history is says nothing about that. Where do poor people get 7800 dollars to buy all that stuff?
Evidence? Sure. Is it possible to raise a family, buy a house, pay for medical insurance and save for retirement on minimum wage? I'd say no. Since that is the goal of most adults, that would be the proof as to why only students, people looking for second jobs and people starting should be maintaining minimum wage jobs.

Where did the $7800 dollars come from? I already told you, it would come from INVESTING with your time working that extra weekend job, like cleaning houses, on top of the 40 hour minimum wage job the other days.

It's not everyone else's responsibility to give you the drive, ambition and work ethic to move ahead. It's up to the individual. If you work a minimum wage job, and you're attitude is, "Why should I get a second job, my job at Burger King should pay me enough", well, it's obvious while you are going to be a failure.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM

30,893 posts, read 13,440,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Who are you again? A board member of in-n-out? I don't know anything about in-n-out. I have no comment why they choose to pay certain wage. It's their freedom. As long as the government is not dictating the wage, I am fine with them paying even $1000/hour.
A board member of in-n-out? Sure, why not- it's the internet and just like all the self made libertarian millionaires on CD forums I can be whatever I want, right?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
We can't stay isolated, can we?

As we are going global, the more you push for the minimum wage, the more jobs will go to oversea. How can we compete with "slave wage" in India with our $10-$15/hour? Instead of pushing for the minimum wage, we should be pushing people to learn and upgrade their skills and work ethics.
we aren't competing with Indian fast food joints, are we?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
It surely does!
so if your landlord raises your rent, or if the grocery store raises the price of milk that causes inflation? So, if your drug store drops the price of a bottle of aspirin, is that deflation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or